Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Duplicate MIDI notes? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=247617)

Monaco 06-07-2009 01:06 PM

Duplicate MIDI notes?

When I record MIDI from my Axiom 25, I get 2 of each note.
http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1690/picture2kvy.png

How can I stop this?
I'm using Studio "B" (below)

Monaco 06-07-2009 01:17 PM

Re: Duplicate MIDI notes?

quick update:

I selected the "All MIDI Notes Off" from the Event menu and all is well. What is the purpose of that setting?

Oroz 07-17-2010 11:01 PM

Got the same problem with my XP-50 as a controller. I'm gonna try your solution and will report if it solves my problem too.

Thanks.

tlennon 07-17-2010 11:33 PM

Make sure you only have a single connection to your computer. Dup notes happen sometimes when your keyboard/controller is connected by USB and Midi at the same time.

All notes off is used when you stop playback and your midi inst does not receive a note off command from the midi track. Thus a 'stuck note'. I hope this helps.

audiogeekzine 07-17-2010 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tlennon (Post 1638840)
Make sure you only have a single connection to your computer. Dup notes happen sometimes when your keyboard/controller is connected by USB and Midi at the same time.

I bet thats it.
If you do have your setup like that for some reason the other thing you can do is to choose a specific input for the instrument track

Oroz 07-18-2010 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tlennon (Post 1638840)

Not the case here. My keyboard is only connected via MIDI.

davidp158 07-21-2010 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdarbyshirebryant (Post 1638879)
P.603 of the reference guide.

I don't know what is causing the duplicate notes, but here's the info from pg. 603 of the reference guide on how to remove them:

Remove Duplicate Notes
The Remove Duplicate Notes command is used to remove duplicate MIDI notes. If a note starts within the first 25% of the duration of a note of the same pitch which is already sounding (or within an eighth-note, whichever is shorter), it is considered a duplicate and is combined with the previous note. If it starts later than that, the first note is shortened so that it ends at the same tick at which the new one starts.

To remove duplicate notes:
1 Make an Edit selection including the duplicate notes you want to remove.
2 Choose Event > Remove Duplicate Notes.

The "All MIDI Notes Off" command is just a way to release "stuck" (endlessly sustaining) MIDI notes.

Stuck Notes
If you encounter stuck notes with any of your MIDI devices, you can silence them with the All MIDI Notes Off command.
To turn off all stuck notes: Choose Event > All MIDI Notes Off.

Keyboard shortcut:
Press Control+Shift+Period (.) (Windows) or Command+Shift+Period (.) (Mac) for the All MIDI Notes Off command.

tlennon 07-21-2010 01:54 PM

^ Correct and useful functions but all are anecdotal. It is more important to find the root cause and resolve. I would check my Midi cable, reversing the connection or replacing with another then check my Midi driver settings and Midi setup menus in PT. I have an Axiom 61 and only had this problem with duoble connections (USB and Midi) which the OP said is not the case with his setup.

designweb 10-08-2013 01:29 PM

I had the same problem with my M-Audio Keystation Pro 88.
I figured out what was causing though. On the 88 you have zones and 2 were turned on, thus creating duplicates. Turned the zone off and all works fine.