Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   Can I use a Ferrofish A16 (16-channel digital I/O) with a 192? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=395253)

firmflange 11-22-2017 05:56 AM

Can I use a Ferrofish A16 (16-channel digital I/O) with a 192?

Hi everyone, I was just wondering if anybody knew if I could run my Ferrofish A16 into a 192, digitally (adat 1-8,9-16) to give me 16 channels of IO. Thank for any replies:).

panamajack 11-22-2017 08:38 AM

Re: Can I use a Ferrofish A16 (16-channel digital I/O) with a 192?

The 192 has an fourth expansion bay for a second "Digital Expansion" card. If you populate it, you could add digital 9-16. Refer to page 16 of the "192 I/O Guide." Optical ADAT output is limited to 48kHz, ADAT input has real time sample rate conversion up to 192kHz per the manual.

albee1952 11-22-2017 09:59 AM

Depends on which 192. If its a 192Digital, which only has digital IO, then it should work for all 16 channels of the A16. If its a 192 that is half&half(8 analog IO and 8 digital IO), then you might only be able to do 8 via lightpipe. But, having said that, there are 2 lightpipe ports on the back of my 192(1 set on the IO card and another near the power and wordclock ports), so MAYBE you can configure it to do all 16 digital. The key to success will be going(in Pro Tools) to Setup>Hardware and properly configuring the 192(which can be a bit daunting). As already said, you will be limited to 48K with lightpipe into the 192:o

firmflange 11-22-2017 11:07 AM

Thanks Albee and Pan, that helps a lot. A partial reason moving to HD is the parting of ways with the RME Fireface 802, which has a Totalmix (options/mixer) screen in which the 'options' screen in PT pales in comparison to, IMO.

While some people may 'get it,' with the RME, and the routing options are huge, the variables are sooo numerous on this unit that the learning curve has been a trial for me and others.

There are a llot of other good things about the unit (pres', etc.), don't get me wrong (had it for 6 years), but it's time to move on. Whatever the mountains to climb with HD are, I'll take them with readiness..

albee1952 11-22-2017 11:38 AM

I totally get that. I've never been a huge fan of having to work in some "go between" program and that's why I have stayed with avid hardware:o

krazylain 11-22-2017 01:22 PM

Can I use a Ferrofish A16 (16-channel digital I/O) with a 192?

Quote:

Originally Posted by firmflange (Post 2460819)
While some people may 'get it,' with the RME, and the routing options are huge, the variables are sooo numerous on this unit that the learning curve has been a trial for me and others.

There are a llot of other good things about the unit (pres', etc.), don't get me wrong (had it for 6 years), but it's time to move on. Whatever the mountains to climb with HD are, I'll take them with readiness..

Totally understand this, but I have to ask, are you using only ProTools?
Im just checking as you may not be so thrilled to use HD/192 with other DAWs.
This is where RME shines.

Samanthas Dream 11-22-2017 04:42 PM

192 I/O Analog has a max of 16 in 16 out. It can be a combination of digital and analog IO, but it’s still limited to no more than 16 in and 16 out.

firmflange 11-22-2017 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krazylain (Post 2460840)
Totally understand this, but I have to ask, are you using only ProTools?
Im just checking as you may not be so thrilled to use HD/192 with other DAWs.
This is where RME shines.

I am using only Pro Tools, and intend on keeping to just that. For about 13 years I used Adobe Audition / Cool Edit, then the last 2 years I went to PT, and you're right, the RME was very faithful on both. Might do a little with spectral analyzing with AA yet. It has a good stock analyzer.

I'm not really looking for 'options' and 'features' in an interface anymore, which, like I said, the RME had - but I'm willing to pay the price, figuratively and literally, after studying what Albee, Darryl and others have posted, and the pros and con's of RME vs the 192's, many of which chose the RME, and other users who've experienced both interfaces.

Personally, I'm just tired of the Totalmix screen...after practically learning it pretty well, lol, but that's just me. Other's may love it, and rightly so.