Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 10 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Multiple regions volume (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=332130)

lamacchiacosta 12-17-2012 08:57 AM

Multiple regions volume

Hello,

I'm trying to modify the volume of multiple regions at a time, but it doesn't seems possible.
Even when selecting multiple regions it will change the volume one by one. I tried to press any key (cmd, alt and so on) and clicking on the fader icon of the region and it will still do one by one.
Anyone has any advice, please?

Thanks.

Chief Technician 12-17-2012 09:43 AM

Re: Multiple regions volume

Switch your track to volume view, select all of the regions whose volume you want to adjust, then use the trim tool to adjust the volume line across the selection in a single operation.

lamacchiacosta 12-18-2012 05:45 AM

So is not possible then.
I want to change the region volume and then the track volume if needed.

Changing one by one is very time wasting.
:-(

tj_davies 12-18-2012 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lamacchiacosta (Post 1989789)
So is not possible then.
I want to change the region volume and then the track volume if needed.

Changing one by one is very time wasting.
:-(

To change clip gain for multiple regions, select the specific regions and then lower the clip gain. This works for definite. Selection-wise you might need to switch to the "Object Grabber" to select non contiguous regions.

Volume automation-wise - if you need to adjust non-contiguous regions - there is no nice way to do it, instead of grouping the tracks you want to adjust. Unfortunately if there are regions inside the selection, that are not supposed to get adjusted, they will get adjusted as well.

In this case you will have to move the non-adjustable-regions to another track, then select all the desired regions and change the automation.

Hope this helps,
Timothy

lamacchiacosta 12-18-2012 10:31 AM

Thanks a lot for your answer.
I would be very happy just to have to option to change the region volume to consecutive regions but it definitely doesn't work here.
I made sure I was with the Object Grabber and selected few regions. Kept selected and tried to lift the volume of one of those (tried with all of them). Doesn't work.
Tried also helping with Shif key, ctrl key and so on but definitely doesn't work here.
Has my PT a bug ?

soybalm 12-18-2012 11:41 AM

Use the smart tool. select the regions. Right click over the clip gain icon. Select "Show clip gain line". Now hover the mouse near the line. It turns into an interesting looking tool. It's a volume grabber with a mini clip gain fader. This works great and you don't need modifier keys. It also won't deselect when you change other clips. Awesome!!

Another point to be made here. Clip gain is not the same as volume. Clip gain changes the source gain only! A volume fader from the mixer changes the output of the source and the fx that follow it. For example, If you have a compressor on the track and it's on pretty hard, you won't hear much volume change when you change the gain but you will hear more compression as the compressor squashes the high gain back down. You will hear a difference in loudness if you change the channel volume fader in the mixer.
You were using the term volume and that concerned me a little. :D

jasonthurley 12-18-2012 11:44 AM

This is possible... I have to find the thread, but you can select multiple regions (separately in the same track and multiple tracks) and then adjust volumes and or fades.... I might not have time to find it but search the DUC.... There is even a video that shows how to do it.

soybalm 12-18-2012 05:21 PM

Use the object grabber to select regions across tracks like Jason said, switch to smart tool and put the mouse near any selected line, no modifier keys. This is after you right clicked over the gain fader and selected show clip line.

lamacchiacosta 12-19-2012 01:55 AM

That worked and is what I wanted to achieve.

Thanks soybalm!

tj_davies 12-19-2012 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lamacchiacosta (Post 1990066)
That worked and is what I wanted to achieve.

Thanks soybalm!

LOL

Is this not what everyone was suggesting from post one?

Glad you got it working.
Timothy