Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Routing Folder Inside Routine Folder - Solo Issue (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=419319)

John9281 03-19-2022 02:02 PM

Routing Folder Inside Routine Folder - Solo Issue

Pro Tools 2021.12.0
Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, OS build 19043.1526

I have a routing folder called Inner Routing inside an outer routing folder called Outer Routing.

Outer Routing is my effects stem. Inner Routing is for ambience.

If I solo any audio track in Inner Routing or Outer Routing, it mutes the unsoloed tracks as expected.

Because I use Inner Routing frequently, I moved it to the top level i.e. outside Outer Routing.
I did not make any other changes.

When I solo an audio track within Inner Routing, it does not mute the Outer Routing audio tracks as expected.

Is this a bug?

Thank you for the feedback.

BScout 03-20-2022 06:54 AM

Re: Routing Folder Inside Routine Folder - Solo Issue

Quote:

Originally Posted by John9281 (Post 2630533)

Because I use Inner Routing frequently, I moved it to the top level i.e. outside Outer Routing.
I did not make any other changes.

When I solo an audio track within Inner Routing, it does not mute the Outer Routing audio tracks as expected.

These are routing folders. So when you un-nested the subfolder, did you change the routing of that subfolder?
A routing folder is an aux track that is solo-safe. That's how it works, Would you expect what you are seeing to happen to an aux track like that?

John9281 03-20-2022 09:59 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

When I un-nested the subfolder, I did not change the routing of the subfolder.

After further study, I noticed the following:

Assume the Inner Routing folder is open so you see an Inner audio track.
Solo the Inner audio track.
As expected, only the Inner audio track plays.

Close the folder icon of the Inner Routing folder.
Everything in the Inner Routing and Outer Routing folders are unmuted.
Open the folder icon of the Inner Routing folder.
The Inner audio track is no longer solo.
Hence, if the folder icon of the Inner Routing folder is closed,
the solo icon of its' audio tracks are unsoloed.

This occurs irrespective of whether the Inner Routing folder is inside or outside of the Outer Routing folder.

Solo-safe is not involved in any of this. One does not see the Solo icon change into solo-safe during any of the above process.

BScout 03-20-2022 10:43 PM

If the mute/unmute functionality is changing based only on if the folder is open or closed, this is a bug. That should not change.

(The "solo-safe" aux functionality of a routing folder is not a visual solo-safe but how a routing folder works. This is/was to maintain backwards compatibility. If you open a session with routing folders on a Pro Tools system with a version pre-folders, they convert to aux tracks.)