Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Esata Hard Drive Runs GREAT With PT8 (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=237374)

Benoni 01-22-2009 09:23 PM

Esata Hard Drive Runs GREAT With PT8

JWalkerPostAudio 01-22-2009 11:10 PM

Re: Esata Hard Drive Runs GREAT With PT8

I've never had a problem with esata. It always seems to be firewire that gives me problems.

-Justin

Shan 01-23-2009 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benoni (Post 1340660)

I hope digi will test Esata and give us official support.

eSATA is a SATA cable that plugs straight into your MB SATA connection. It's the same as an internal SATA drive except the signal is routed to and external enclosure with a SATA drive in it so how could it not be supported? :D

My external SATA drives are literally taking up a SATA connection on the MB itself. I decided to have no internal drives or CD/DVD burners except the C drive to keep the heat down and everything nice and quiet. I'll probably even make my C drive external for better access and geekness to my multi OS system. If I was die hard into overclocking, I wouldn't have a single drive in the computer at all and eSATA is perfect for that job. :D :D

Shane

Shan 01-23-2009 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWalkerPostAudio (Post 1340688)
I've never had a problem with esata. It always seems to be firewire that gives me problems.

-Justin

+1

I dumped the dated external firewire stuff long ago. I have 1 multi firewire/USB enclosure just in case i have a client who's still stuck in the stone ages and brings me a PATA drive. :D These days, everyone brings me stuff on USB thumb drives. :-)

Shane

netnoggin 01-23-2009 02:30 AM

Quote:

I'll probably even make my C drive external for better access and geekness to my multi OS system
I use one of these in my quad for that purpose. It's a removable drive bay that accepts a bare SATA drive so you don't have to stick 'em in a caddy first. Luxurious is not the word that comes to mind when referring to its overall construction, but hey, whaddya expect for twenty bucks?

I've ignored the "hot-swap" selling point. I don't recommend that for your C drive anyway. :D:D

N

Shan 01-23-2009 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benoni (Post 1340748)
How could Esata not be supported? Dont ask me ask Digi. They are the ones that say on their website that Esata is not supported, but there are no known problems. So its not officially supported.

Correct. Which really makes me scratch my head as to why they would state it as unsupported.

Quote:

Yes I know Sata and Esata are basically the same you don't need to tell me how it works, i am the one who built my PC from scratch and just installed the sata to Esata connector, the cable is different from Sata, that's why I said make the new 004? with Sata or Esata.
The cables are actually the same except for the connectors. The whole purpose of using different connectors is to prevent someone from using an unshielded cable from the shielded cable version(which I would do in a bind.:D) which one would use when routing stuff external from the computer. It makes it dummy proof to prevent the use of internal unshielded SATA cables and also adds some retention springs for more durable removals and insertions etc. I'm baffled as to why eSATA is listed as not tested and unsupported because there is no difference from mounting the drive internally compared to putting it in an external case in which the cable is still connected to the same SATA connection on the MB. That's a definite head scratcher which still begs the general question, " how could it not be supported?" One of those mysterious "hmmm" moments. I don't even know what the heck they need to possibly test because as we know, it's the same thing. :D

I myself would rather see a future 004 support PCIe. The transfer and data rates would be better for heavy duty audio I/O routing etc in my opinion.

Your Quad spec looks killer by the way! That Q6700 will smoke. :eek: I'm anxious to jump in the new i7 stuff soon which is starting to go beyond overkill for audio. :eek: :D

Shane

JR Discogalaxyrecords 01-25-2009 02:39 AM

Yesterday I bought the Lacie D2Quad 500GB Drive with eSata, Firewire and USB Connection. No problem via eSata. It seems to work perfectly.