Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   macOS (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   PT 7 upgrade downloads are missing from avid.com (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=349731)

digitaltoast 01-16-2014 08:58 AM

PT 7 upgrade downloads are missing from avid.com

The updates for each v7 release are available but not the upgrade.

I have 7.0 disks, but authorizations also for 7.2/7.3 and 7.4.

Had updated system to v8, though moved that to an Intel - now would like to replace 7.4 on the PowerPC to get back a handful of orphaned plugins that never made their way to v8 compatibility, and to serve video with a Mojo SDI.

Updaters only supply "cs" bumps, and require the proper "7.x" - do recall the dot version upgrades being available for download in the past...

Was their removal upon migration to the new webpage simply an oversight? Or new policy?

Certainly do need 7.4 upgrade, appreciate any assistance.

Chief Technician 01-17-2014 06:29 AM

Re: PT 7 upgrade downloads are missing from avid.com

One of the super moderators suggested that you should contact customer service. The dot releases are not available via the web store.

digitaltoast 01-17-2014 09:13 AM

Not looking to purchase... Only to download the installer.

Am I off base with the thought that they used to be be available for download?

Some do remain - 7.4.2 for Intel.

Really do miss the old static Digidesign resource pages that are available for v6 and below. Well thought out, simple, necessary information that doesn't change it's location.

It is frustrating enough when things aren't working, but then when the location of the solution is changed, and the available information rewritten by someone who may have never dealt with the issues related to such historical products... Well, the subtleties are bound to go missing...

And I would've preferred to send an email instead of throwing it up here on the forum... Just didn't think that was possible for less than $75...

And either someone through here might be able to get me a copy of the installer, or I suppose I could get the disks for $5 on eBay, or maybe have to go through the internet archive...

Now, I know it is an expensive undertaking serving up so much data, so consider this... If the website wasn't so flashy, and information was more concise... People would have to hit the search engine 5 or 6 times to find what they were looking for, that would reduce costs!

Sorry for being a snot about this, there are quite a few issues with your website. For at least 4 months the first splash graphic for Artist Control claimed it had 8 faders. Couldn't find an email to contact anyone about that, so waited until last AES show to tell a handful of people. Each argued that I was mistaken and that was the page for Artist Mix - a couple even as I showed them the webpage. It took at least 3 weeks to get that fixed after the show...

Had a list of dozens of such issues with the site, broken links, endless logical loops that don't lead to proper information, and outright wrong information.

Now I don't mean to be bashing, I am a fan of the software. It is (or at least was - I am a few versions back) a well thought out, and developed, product. This is why I can continue to use it well past what most people consider it's useful life.

CygnusX-1Bk2 01-18-2014 03:08 AM

They made a big stink about this when they pulled all old installers as part of the PT 11 roll out. I got emails saying to back up old installers or grab them while you can because they would no longer be available.

Bruce Paine 01-18-2014 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitaltoast (Post 2121992)
The updates for each v7 release are available but not the upgrade.

I have 7.0 disks, but authorizations also for 7.2/7.3 and 7.4.

Had updated system to v8, though moved that to an Intel - now would like to replace 7.4 on the PowerPC to get back a handful of orphaned plugins that never made their way to v8 compatibility, and to serve video with a Mojo SDI.

Updaters only supply "cs" bumps, and require the proper "7.x" - do recall the dot version upgrades being available for download in the past...

Was their removal upon migration to the new webpage simply an oversight? Or new policy?

Certainly do need 7.4 upgrade, appreciate any assistance.

Full web installers for v7.4 (a paid upgrade) were not available on the old website either. (7.4.2 was available as a full download, because you could not install v7.4 on Leopard to do an update to 7.4.2)

I added 7.4 to the downloads here:

Pro Tools HD 7.4cs10 Update for Mac OS X (Tiger)

As you noted, there was already a download of v7.4.2 here:
Pro Tools 7.4.2 Download for Mac OS X 10.5.3 & 10.5.4 Leopard

Quote:

Really do miss the old static Digidesign resource pages that are available for v6 and below. Well thought out, simple, necessary information that doesn't change it's location.
Thanks, I managed the old digidesign.com support section. :-)

I also found what I think is the original order receipt from the Avid Store with download links for a Pro Tools HD 7.3 Upgrade, but even though it is the same iLok account as yours, it is in someone else's name (maybe a former partner)? Contact me by email if that is the case, and I'll try to help sort through some of that confusion. There are 3 avid accounts in your name and 4 avid accounts in his name, so the product registrations are a bit scattered as to names and email addresses.