Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   ICON & C|24 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   C24, is the monitor section that bad? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=375937)

Raggi 12-26-2015 01:06 PM

C24, is the monitor section that bad?

HI.
I use the C24 as a control surface and also the monitor section. I have two Genelec 8240a dsp. I read somewhere that the monitor section is really bad?
Personally I can't say I notice this.
I have a Samson C-control as an alternative. I have not done a comparison.
My interface is a Focusrite Liquide Saffire 56.
The signal is analog out of LS6 into the 8240.
What is the pros opinions. Would the quality be better using the Samson?

I know this is a "my opinion" question with no right/wrong.

Darryl Ramm 12-26-2015 01:51 PM

Re: C24, is the monitor section that bad?

Use your ears Luke....

You have stuff in front of you to do an interesting A/B comparison. And with only two monitors how much monitor control do you want? What are you needing to do with that? e.g. distribute other analog input signals? If you just want to control levels the Saffire has it's own built-in monitor control.

With relatively decent small monitors with digital input I'd always try at least starting there.

The first A/B test that would be interesting to me is to output analog direct from your interface to the monitors (bypassing everything in the signal path you can) and compare that to the same signal going via digital out from the interface to the monitors. If the digital to the monitors did not clearly already win then you can try inserting the monitor section on the C|24 and comparing that to digital or straight analog. (you could A/B a mono signal going to each monitor, one direct, one via the monitor section, but that will obviously be a useless test for stereo imaging.).

Raggi 12-26-2015 02:49 PM

HI Darryl.
Yes, my option is to, as you say to connect both via the c-control and direct out analog from my Ls56. I was just interested to hear what other people think about the C24s monitor section.
I really have no complaints so far....

Darryl Ramm 12-26-2015 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raggi (Post 2322989)
HI Darryl.
Yes, my option is to, as you say to connect both via the c-control and direct out analog from my Ls56. I was just interested to hear what other people think about the C24s monitor section.
I really have no complaints so far....

You already know lots of people don't like it, and some others will defend it it as not too bad. For folks who need monitor controllers for their workflow, e.g. switching a set of monitors or switching between stereo and 2.1 and 5.1. It may be critical if it is all they have or what they are used to/like. But you have just a single pair of monitors.

Ah but I kinda disagree with that assumption about comparing two analog controller choices here. The base starting point for me would be direct digital connection to your monitors since they have digital input and compare everything else to that. That was the point of my post. And maybe you can live entirely with just the direct digital connection.

And of analog controllers, I kinda suspect comparing the C|24 to the C-control may not show that much difference.. but please tell us what you think if you try an A/B test. Maybe I'd expect more if you had something like a Grace M905 (and I'd go into that digital if possible). I just have a high opinion of Grace products.

Marsdy 12-27-2015 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raggi (Post 2322967)
HI.
I use the C24 as a control surface and also the monitor section. I have two Genelec 8240a dsp. I read somewhere that the monitor section is really bad?
Personally I can't say I notice this.
I have a Samson C-control as an alternative. I have not done a comparison.
My interface is a Focusrite Liquide Saffire 56.
The signal is analog out of LS6 into the 8240.
What is the pros opinions. Would the quality be better using the Samson?

I know this is a "my opinion" question with no right/wrong.

It's not really bad and it's very comprehensive. I had a Samson C-Control. It's a LOT better than that assuming your gain structure is properly set up.

However, I was using PMC TwoTwo6s... I switched over to ATC SCM25As recently and suddenly noticed there was hiss from the C24 outputs. Hit the mute button on the C24 and it goes. Maybe that's testament to how good the ATCs are though!!!

That said, if you're can't do great mixes on the C24 it's not the C24's fault. If I had kept my C24 I'd have probably have got a Cranesong Avocet or something similar.

PhoenixAshes 12-27-2015 05:20 AM

I had an SSL-X desk and went to C24, main thing I notice straight away is the noise floor hiss from the C24, there was no noise at all through the SSL. Once you hit mute on the C24 the hiss vanishes. (Monitoring through Dynaudio BM15a's)

I can live with the hiss because I use a lot of automation on the C24, so it's a small price to pay , and once the music is on you don't really notice it.
Thanks.

Meads 12-27-2015 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhoenixAshes (Post 2323085)
I had an SSL-X desk and went to C24, main thing I notice straight away is the noise floor hiss from the C24, there was no noise at all through the SSL. Once you hit mute on the C24 the hiss vanishes. (Monitoring through Dynaudio BM15a's)

I can live with the hiss because I use a lot of automation on the C24, so it's a small price to pay , and once the music is on you don't really notice it.
Thanks.

That.

Still, a monitoring section inducing that amount of hiss? Great job, team.

Southsidemusic 12-27-2015 08:09 AM

Same experiences here too.

We had a C/24 and noticed the annoying hiss and white noise after updating to our Quested 5.1 surround setup, I knew there was something wrong or badly Made when we got the desk and after a year we sold it faster than you could say SOLD :D

I think the samson C unit the OP has is the same bad sounding unit as the C/24, if you wanna make a serious comparison you need way better comparing units than a samson as those are low budget units. I see them for less than $75 here so I HOPE the C/24 is better than those atleast ..

I would get a better monitoring unit like we use which is a Grace Design m905 (very expensive but we use it everyday all the time) or maybe a little less costly like a Dangerous Music Source or even less a Presonus Central Station.

I would put the money toward a SPL as they really are a lot of Bang for the buck.

All this is IMHO of course so if you just wanna make Music at home for fun then the Samson you have is enough but it taints the sound and makes everything sound dull and boring.

albee1952 12-27-2015 08:39 AM

First off, with the C-Control costing all of $100, you really should not expect much:o And, don't confuse the C24 opinions with those of the older Control24(which definitely had some "sonic issues"):o. I have worked on a friend's C24 rig with Genelec 8030's(with sub) and a set of KRK speakers and never noticed any deficiencies. On my own rig, I monitor thru a Presonus Central Station, which is almost completely passive and am quite happy with it(also into Genelec 8050's with sub and a set of JBL's).

Darryl Ramm 12-27-2015 08:42 AM

You already know lots of people don't like it, and some others will defend it it as not too bad. :-)