Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Eleven Rack (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Those who go direct, Main outputs or DI box? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=310686)

Jd0g33 10-30-2011 07:57 PM

Those who go direct, Main outputs or DI box?

Do you guys plug the xlr straight into the main outputs or do you take a DI from the one of the amp outs? If you use the main outputs, do you plug into the soundboard at line level or mic level? also, are the amp outputs line level, or does the DI automatically make it mic level? thanks in advance!

dmock66 10-30-2011 08:06 PM

Re: Those who go direct, Main outputs or DI box?

I go direct from the XLR to the board. I guess I don't know what they do with it from there........

moff 10-30-2011 10:12 PM

The 11R XLR outs are too hot for the XLR ins on most FOH consoles - the 11R outs are line level, and most boards' XLR ins are mic level. Boards that do have line in are usually 1/4" TRS. You can buy an adaptor to convert XLR to 1/4" TRS, if you can talk the house soundman into re-patching his board for you...

I use Output to Amp 2 (on the back) to a DI, with the XLR going to my K12..

Muzza_Boogie 10-31-2011 07:43 AM

XLR to Line in here. Sounds great

Muzza_Boogie 10-31-2011 07:43 AM

1/4" that is... don't want any nasty phantom power surprises :)

Jd0g33 11-01-2011 11:36 AM

thanks guys, one more question. when recording for other artists, like on their own system and computer, do you use the xlr outs to the console, or do you still use the usb?

TieDyedDevil 11-01-2011 12:19 PM

I've always run the XLR outs to the stage box. I've never encountered a situation where the house board can't pad the line-level signal or turn off phantom power.

I carry a pair of 1:1 inline transformers and a pair of short XLR cables just in case I run into a situation where I do need to worry about isolating phantom power.

I suppose I could also carry a couple of inline attenuators to placate the sound guy who doesn't want line-level signals on his snake.

(As noted, I have yet to run into either situation.)

muziqman 11-01-2011 08:27 PM

I go send Left XLR to my Mackie, and Right XLR to the house. I make sure the soundguy knows the signal is line level and Not mic level, and that he should use little to no gain on my channel ( to get rid of any hum on the line). I have had soundguys in the past complain that my rig is causing unnecessary hum and that I should fix it when they are setting it up wrong on the board.