Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   MIDI (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   virtual instrument midi track problem (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=165516)

acappellajosh 04-12-2006 07:27 AM

virtual instrument midi track problem

I'm new to using midi and virtual instruments. I want to import midi that has been done in another program. It opens with no problems. however, my problem is that I don't know how to assign this midi to a virtual instrument that I want to use. I'm using Kontact by native instruments. How do you get your imported midi to play through the VI? The midi tracks don't even have a way to open up a plugin for the virtual instrument. I can open up the virtual instrument (in the mixer view) on an audio track, but not a midi track. How does this all work? Please help. also, I'm not using any external midi devices, only the VI.
Josh

Stig Eliassen 04-12-2006 08:16 AM

Re: virtual instrument midi track problem

If you're on PT 7 you can use Instrument tracks (method one)...

1) Create an Instrument track.

2) Assign a valid audio I/O path, or the VI may not produce any sound.

3) Insert the VI of your choice in the Instrument track (e.g. Kontakt).

4) Import the midi file and drag it to the timeline for the Instrument track.

5) Make sure the midi I/O are assigned properly (top of Instrument track). If you're just playing imported midi files and not triggering VI's from a master keyboard, just make sure that midi out is actually set to Kontakt.

6) You're done.

If you're on 6.x (method two)...

1) Create two tracks, one aux track and one midi track.

2) Insert the VI in the aux track.

3) Route the midi out to the correct VI (e.g. Kontakt). Naturally, you do this on the midi track.

4) Import the midi file and drag it to the timeline for the midi track.

5) You're done.

Note: both methods can be used if you're on PT 7. Just make sure to assign a valid audio I/O path, or the VI may not produce any sound.

Good luck.

acappellajosh 04-12-2006 09:12 AM

thanks for the help, it works just fine. Two more questions though. I'm using m-box1, and it doesn't have a midi input or output on the box. Can I simply buy a usb midi interface to work with protools? Or would I have to upgrade to another pro tools system? Also, I find the protools midi interface very difficult to work with. Anyone have any ideas on an easier way to work with the midi to where you could actually look at a score or the notes instead of just the "midi notes"? I'm a more visual person and can more easily work when I see the notes. I know that you can do this in garage band, but I don't believe that pro tools offers this. However, I am using 6.4. They might have changed this in pro tools 7. Thanks
Josh

spkguitar 04-12-2006 09:53 AM

Quote:

Can I simply buy a usb midi interface to work with protools?

Yes.
Quote:

Anyone have any ideas on an easier way to work with the midi to where you could actually look at a score or the notes instead of just the "midi notes"?

You will have to use different software if you want this kind of functionality, protools doesn't have it (yet).