Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   AAX Plug-ins (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Izotope VocalSynth (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=381014)

Righty27 05-18-2016 04:10 AM

Izotope VocalSynth

https://www.izotope.com/en/products/...ocalsynth.html

Sounds good based on the clearly Daft Punk-inspired demo. I picked up Waves Morphoder a while back after finding very few AAX vocoder/talkbox options at the time.

Looks like this is a significantly more polished/capable product from Izotope (as one would expect from them in 2016) and possibly why Waves were bundling theirs in a 2-for-1 plugin offer recently.

simon.a.billington 05-27-2016 04:31 AM

Re: Izotope VocalSynth

I'm so tempted to get this. But I'm trying to save the cash at the moment!!

musicman691 05-27-2016 04:48 AM

Wonder how it will do trying to cop a Dalek voice? I know the BBC used a ring modulator; not sure but some kind of distortion may also be in the mix. Excalibur came darn close but the rest of that plugin didn't do anything for me.

YYR123 05-27-2016 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simon.a.billington (Post 2359986)
I'm so tempted to get this. But I'm trying to save the cash at the moment!!

Same here

simon.a.billington 05-29-2016 06:21 PM

I do recall the darlek's voice was done with a bit of ring modulation at a speed of around 30Hz. A large part of the sound is the performance however and how you speak into the mic or even yell though it.

The distortion most likely came from overloading the preamp or from tape. I've thought about this a while back and something I would have liked to give a try is passing the signal thre the REDD or EMI TG channel strips and try overdriving them a bit then running it into the Abbey Road tape.

This all might not be quite the right gear, but should give us something that sounds like a classic BBC sound. A lot of the effects were done through older equipment after all since the Radio Workshop ended up with all the ex-BBC Studio gear.

At least this would be my starting point...

Or you could just buy VocalSynth!! Haha!!

bradch00 05-29-2016 07:44 PM

I was trying to do that save cash thing as well, PSP has new stuff, Izotope has new stuff..... whatever... it's only money.... picked up VocalSynth.... must admit it's a lot of fun, kind of goes outside my style though, most I ever do is cleanup vocals with Melodyne.... so we'll see if it gathers digital dust or not...

musicman691 05-30-2016 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simon.a.billington (Post 2360491)
I do recall the darlek's voice was done with a bit of ring modulation at a speed of around 30Hz. A large part of the sound is the performance however and how you speak into the mic or even yell though it.

The distortion most likely came from overloading the preamp or from tape. I've thought about this a while back and something I would have liked to give a try is passing the signal thre the REDD or EMI TG channel strips and try overdriving them a bit then running it into the Abbey Road tape.

This all might not be quite the right gear, but should give us something that sounds like a classic BBC sound. A lot of the effects were done through older equipment after all since the Radio Workshop ended up with all the ex-BBC Studio gear.

At least this would be my starting point...

Or you could just buy VocalSynth!! Haha!!

Thanks for the info. I do have the REDD and TG12345 channels strips from Waves; don't have the J37 though. The ring mod I have is the Moog one from Avid. I haven't tried this combo together and will have to give it a shot. Right now I can't afford to buy something that might not do what I want. I know Izotope has a generous demo policy but then what do I do if I find out it does the job I want? :confused::-)

simon.a.billington 05-30-2016 09:03 PM

Yeah, don't spend for the sake of it. Use whatever you already have that might get you an approximate simulation of a certain sound.

You should only really spend on stuff you really need... but wants do matter on occasions.

DJbrimLo 07-27-2016 07:32 PM

I grabbed as a backup option to Waves Morphoder. With proper edits and some creative tinkering with effects I've gotten some great sounds from it. I still haven't used it tho, so I can't say how it compares. I would imagine Vocalsynth can do more, or at least I would expect more from a Vocoder be developed and released 10 or so years after the face.