Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Let's hear your latest stuff....right here (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=60365)

gives 05-10-2016 08:25 PM

Re: My first mixed song any Advice

Quote:

Originally Posted by DementedLegacy (Post 2355920)
Hp Envy
i5
Windows 8.1

Protools 12.4
Stock Plugins
Baby Bluebird Condenser Microphone
Audient id22
Soundproof closet

This my first mixed song. Its me on the verses. The chorus came with the instrumental pre mixed.

Is there anything you can hear that i can improve in the mix (?)

https://soundcloud.com/user-585972019/only-human

Listening on my laptop even at low volume, things seem a bit bright and a bit out of balance. I would start by rolling off the highs a bit. I have no idea what your room environment is, but I would listen at a lower volume and EQ the vocal of you a bit differently Less it more. Good Luck! G

PMF Media 05-10-2016 09:31 PM

I think it sounds pretty good all things considered, your vocal sit well and given that you've had no control over the bed and chorus mix... I'd say well done!

DementedLegacy 05-10-2016 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gives (Post 2355921)
Listening on my laptop even at low volume, things seem a bit bright and a bit out of balance. I would start by rolling off the highs a bit. I have no idea what your room environment is, but I would listen at a lower volume and EQ the vocal of you a bit differently Less it more. Good Luck! G

Thank you. Is that like subtractive EQ? Like find the trouble frequencies and dip them?

DementedLegacy 05-10-2016 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PMF Media (Post 2355927)
I think it sounds pretty good all things considered, your vocal sit well and given that you've had no control over the bed and chorus mix... I'd say well done!

Thank you I appreciate it!

JFreak 05-10-2016 11:05 PM

Quote:

Listening on my laptop even at low volume, things seem a bit bright and a bit out of balance. I would start by rolling off the highs a bit.

agreed

Quote:

I have no idea what your room environment is, but I would listen at a lower volume and EQ the vocal of you a bit differently Less it more. Good Luck! G

I would sleep over it and then with a pair of fresh ears listen to this mix VERY LOUD which gives you the idea how much high end there is.

If you're overall satisfied with the sound, just drop a high-shelving EQ to drop the highs. It is hard to tell what you're looking for, but what "everyone" notices is too much high end on vocals. Makes ones ears turn backwards :P

JFreak 05-10-2016 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DementedLegacy (Post 2355928)
Thank you. Is that like subtractive EQ? Like find the trouble frequencies and dip them?

That's what you would likely do the first thing before anything else.

DementedLegacy 05-11-2016 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2355935)
agreed

I would sleep over it and then with a pair of fresh ears listen to this mix VERY LOUD which gives you the idea how much high end there is.

If you're overall satisfied with the sound, just drop a high-shelving EQ to drop the highs. It is hard to tell what you're looking for, but what "everyone" notices is too much high end on vocals. Makes ones ears turn backwards :P

Ok thank you. Good idea. Would you happen to know where trouble frequencies are us usually hiding? I know for every vocal it's different but just a starting point?

studiostuff 05-11-2016 06:38 AM

Before you go nuts with EQ and listening loud(...?), listen to your mix on many different speakers in many different locations. Get a feel for the sort of damage that may be happening to your mix by being played through your speakers. If your mix seems bright to other listeners, your speakers may not be accurately reproducing high frequencies.

If, after you do that, it still seems too bright to you, grab your EQ and go nuts. I like to BOOST a NARROW (Hi-Q) frequency region and dial the frequency selector around until you hurt yourself. THAT is your problem region. Switch to CUT, BROADEN (reduce the Q) the frequency region a little and gently cut a dB or two and see how you like your mix now.

Also, instead of listening loud, listen very quietly. That can help reveal if the balance between elements in your mix is the way you want it.

JFreak 05-11-2016 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DementedLegacy (Post 2355971)
Ok thank you. Good idea. Would you happen to know where trouble frequencies are us usually hiding? I know for every vocal it's different but just a starting point?

female sibilance 5k, male sibilance 8k, "overall too much high" +10k

JFreak 05-11-2016 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by studiostuff (Post 2355979)
Also, instead of listening loud, listen very quietly. That can help reveal if the balance between elements in your mix is the way you want it.

That is true, regarding the track balance; however, listening to a mix very quietly usually over-emphasizes high end, which might be the root cause for this problem.

I still recommend listening to this very loud :) But bear in mind that you can only listen to loud mix for very few minutes, so you need to know that you're listening to (low-high) spectral balance instead of track balance.