Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools M-Powered (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   CPU usage jumps to 100% when saving if edit window minimized (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=255295)

LCipher 10-14-2009 07:24 AM

Re: CPU usage jumps to 100% when saving if edit window minimized

Quote:

Originally Posted by spkguitar (Post 1478146)
For what it's worth, I do not have this problem with any of the 8.x versions, and I have the NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT.

Thanks - did you try the test frantik mentioned?:

Quote:

This will happen even with a newly created blank session. If the edit window is minimized, and I attempt to save a session, the CPU usage will jump to near 100% (as displayed using Windows Process Explorer - the PT System Usage window does not display any overloads). The keyboard does not respond to commands in PT, and most menus are greyed out, besides File, Window and Help. In the File menu, only Exit is not disabled.

f.locutus 10-14-2009 07:51 AM

Hi Guys,
I wrote some posts in the mentioned threads because I had that issue.
Hi cpu usage related to the window size or more in general to the gui.

Before the 8.0.1 was out I got a new laptop on which PT never showed this issue.
Anyway, I tried the update on the old one and I could not experiment the issue anymore.
So, in my case, the 8.0.1 update solved the issue.

If it can be useful the graphic card on the old laptop is an ATI while the one I'm using on the laptop that did not have the issue also in 8.0cs3 is an Intel.

I hope you can solve your problem

Ciao
Fabrizio

frantik 10-14-2009 06:30 PM

Quote:

So, in my case, the 8.0.1 update solved the issue.
lucky! :) I'm tempted to format my HD and try again from scratch.. but i don't want to spend all that time and have the issue not even be solved!

DigiTechSupt 10-15-2009 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LCipher (Post 1478119)
Yeah - definitely in 8.01 for me :(

You and I both have NVIDIA graphics - wonder what an ATI would do? Have heard unconfirmed rumors about differences between ATI/NVIDEA but cant teel if that is old news, a guess, or ???

For anyone with an Nvidia graphics card - which driver version do you have installed? Have you tried the standard Windows driver to see if the behavior is any different? (More info on this in the General Troubleshooting thread...)

Sugarnutz 10-15-2009 11:05 AM

One thing I have noticed is that the "Windows Optimization" guide from Digidesign suggests that you turn "Hardware Acceleration" to NONE/OFF on your video card. That's a big NO-NO here, my machine runs like a cow patty baking in the the sunshine at that point. Hardware acceleration on a video card should take almost all the graphics chores off the CPU and let the video card handle them. That's what you want it to do. Turn it back on if it's off and see what happens then.

I may be wrong, but it's only happened just once before and it appears I was mistaken about that.:cool:

frantik 10-15-2009 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt (Post 1478972)
For anyone with an Nvidia graphics card - which driver version do you have installed? Have you tried the standard Windows driver to see if the behavior is any different? (More info on this in the General Troubleshooting thread...)

Hi, thanks for your response. I tried both the windows standard driver and installing the latest nvidia drivers from their site. no change in behavior.

LCipher 10-16-2009 04:49 AM

I also tried both the windows standard driver and installing the latest nvidia drivers from their site. No change in behavior, If anything, the windows driver was worse since I dont think it has any acceleration.

frantik 10-18-2009 02:25 AM

yeah using the windows driver wouldn't have been a usable option but it would have revealed if the video driver was the culprit.

it just seems like some weird interface bug to me more than anything related to hardware, but who knows.

LCipher 10-18-2009 11:34 AM

Well - I went ahead and ordered an ATI card for cheap, just to give it a try. Should be here maybe Wed - will let you know what I find but I dont have high hopes....

LCipher 10-22-2009 04:55 AM

Well I replaced my Nvidia 8400GS with an ATI EAH4350. Not a bit of difference.