Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   macOS (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Calculating Waveforms and Synchronizing Folder Contents randomly (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=393319)

BrianJArmstrong 08-25-2017 12:24 AM

Calculating Waveforms and Synchronizing Folder Contents randomly

Hello,
I've searched a few threads about this, but they all seem either related to mounting/unmounting drives or improperly formatted drives on an older version of PT.

System specs in signature, and the hard drive I'm running is a 4TB drive formatted MAC OS Extended (Journaled)

Spotlight is enabled and nothing is in the privacy list.

I've completed two whole seasons of TV shows this year on this same hard drive, and its only now (after upgrading to 12.8) that I'm getting these issues. Randomly, and I do mean randomly, it will start calculating waveforms and synchronizing Folder Contents. Because my session is an hour long dialogue editorial session, it takes sometimes 20-30 minutes to calculate all the waveforms of the assembly.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. Its happened twice today within the last few hours. I'm hoping its not starting to happen more frequently. I can't afford the downtime (audio plays ok, but video can't keep up when calculating)

nruyle 09-11-2017 11:40 AM

Re: Calculating Waveforms and Synchronizing Folder Contents randomly

Same issue here on our HDX systems. Huge problem with this bug.

Rich Breen 09-12-2017 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianJArmstrong (Post 2446555)
Hello,
... Randomly, and I do mean randomly, it will start calculating waveforms and synchronizing Folder Contents....)

First, easiest thing to try would be move the session to a different known good drive, unmount the drive you're currently using and see if the problem recurs.

[email protected] 01-25-2019 05:56 PM

I've been having this issue as well. Not so much the waveforms, but the Synchronizing Folder Contents. It always bogs down my session. I'm not running a heavy session. Usually testimonials (2 dialogue tracks, music, sfx, busses, etc.). about 3 min sessions. But this happens on any session i run, even longer TV episodes.

It seems to happen every time i save my session. Weird thing is, this happens even when working locally. I'm not working off an external/server. I always start/save my session on my local machine, than transfer it to a server after completion.

Running Mac trashcan, 10.11.6 (El Capitan). Pro Tools Ultimate 2018.10
Thanks!

musicman691 01-26-2019 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 2514174)
I've been having this issue as well. Not so much the waveforms, but the Synchronizing Folder Contents. It always bogs down my session. I'm not running a heavy session. Usually testimonials (2 dialogue tracks, music, sfx, busses, etc.). about 3 min sessions. But this happens on any session i run, even longer TV episodes.

It seems to happen every time i save my session. Weird thing is, this happens even when working locally. I'm not working off an external/server. I always start/save my session on my local machine, than transfer it to a server after completion.

Running Mac trashcan, 10.11.6 (El Capitan). Pro Tools Ultimate 2018.10
Thanks!

Can you go to another OSX like Sierra or High Sierra? El Crapitan is one of the worst OSX releases Apple ever put out. You'll posts here with people having problems when running EC. I've never seen a synchronizing folders message come up. Are you referencing audio from another session instead of importing it?

[email protected] 01-26-2019 04:59 PM

Ya, unfortunately the computer I have had El Capitan already installed on it. And you know how easy Apple makes it to downgrade... I usually don’t upgrade my OS since AVID is usually behind on its compatibility.

But to answer your question, yes, I am importing session data, video files, and AAFs from a shared server.

If this is posing the problem, what’s your advice to fix this?
Thanks in advance for the help!!!

musicman691 01-27-2019 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 2514327)
Ya, unfortunately the computer I have had El Capitan already installed on it. And you know how easy Apple makes it to downgrade... I usually don’t upgrade my OS since AVID is usually behind on its compatibility.

But to answer your question, yes, I am importing session data, video files, and AAFs from a shared server.

If this is posing the problem, what’s your advice to fix this?
Thanks in advance for the help!!!

I would copy the stuff into the PT session from the server, work on it, and then copy it back to the server.

As to OSX you wouldn't have to downgrade but upgrade to Sierra or High Sierra.

[email protected] 01-27-2019 08:07 AM

Cool, ya seems like that's the best way to go moving forward.

Thanks for the help/advice!!