Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 12 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Wireless (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=418556)

my-name-is-thanos 01-13-2022 02:36 AM

Wireless

This isn't really about pro tools but I figure it's appropriate since it has to do with using pro tools, plus I can't seem to think of where to ask this question. While using an interface. My goal is to use wireless headphones for recording. I'm not being picky I just want to be able to use wireless headphones rather than having a cord in the way. Been using airpods with an airfly bluetooth dongle plugged into the interface. It's nice for editing cause your hearing it atleast but the problem with it is when you record say guitar there is latency so basically what I need is a bluetooth dongle thats good enough so there is no latency. Its not pro tools its just the quality of the bluetooth dongle. I know its not pro tools latency. Please dont pick on me for not wanting to use wired headphones.

Sardi 01-13-2022 03:54 AM

Wireless

Even the latest BT revisions won’t give you low enough latency for tracking. Well, I wouldn’t find it acceptable.

If you must go wireless, get yourself an IEM system from Sennheiser etc. and plug your headphones into that. Probably a lot more than what you want to spend, but it’s the only way you’ll get acceptable latency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

albee1952 01-13-2022 10:04 AM

Re: Wireless

I also recommend a decent IEM system as your best solution. Sennheiser are a solid option and probably the best value, but with any wireless system, if you shop the used market, make sure you get one that operates in a legal frequency range. There are thousands of used systems floating around that are on illegal bands(due to the FCC selling off the 600MHz band to cell companies). Anything brand new will be legal. The disadvantage of the illegal frequencies are 1-if you are near a big city(like Atlanta), you may have trouble finding a workable channel. And 2-if the FCC catches you(maybe not a big worry...), its a $10k fine:eek: If you are "out in the country", then none of this may matter for you but its something to be aware of:o

my-name-is-thanos 01-13-2022 05:00 PM

Albee. I'm a little flustered. So you can be fined for using wireless headphone system? What kinda stuff is that?

Sardi 01-13-2022 05:58 PM

Wireless

Quote:

Originally Posted by my-name-is-thanos (Post 2625397)
Albee. I'm a little flustered. So you can be fined for using wireless headphone system? What kinda stuff is that?

You can be fined for operating outside of the spectrum.

There are frequency ranges that you need to adhere to. They change over time. We’ve had to bin TX/RX units that are no longer able to be used due to changes in RF spectrum allocation. But, we are a BIG organisation.

Every country is different and I honestly can’t imagine being pulled up for stepping outside the allocated spectrum for a 30 minute tracking session. ;)

But legally, that’s the ‘kinda stuff that it is’.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

albee1952 01-14-2022 08:56 AM

What he said^^^ I mentioned it as there are plenty of older systems being sold on eBay, Reverb, Craigslist, etc, and some are likely to be "less than legal"(and in most cases, the seller probably doesn't know any better). A quick google search turns up plenty of info, but it may be daunting for someone with little experience with this stuff so here are the big highlights:

Paste from an FCC website page:

Most of these 600 MHz frequencies have been repurposed for new 600 MHz service wireless operations (specifically, the 617-652 MHz and 663-698 MHz frequencies).

For the most part, any system that operates OUTSIDE of those ranges should be okay.

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides...ss-microphones

While this says "microphones", IEM systems use the same technology, so all the info is still pertinent:o