Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Migration Problems? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=177754)

1511 09-23-2006 10:30 AM

Migration Problems?

Hello,
I'm trying to get 7.2 going on a used G5 2.5 GB machine; HD#3 Accel. I've followed troubleshooting and set up instructions rigorously (so I think). 7.2 works well with some songs that I've dragged to the new audio drive from a firewire backup drive. These sessions were originally placed on the firewire drive as "SSCI" copies. Of 10 folders that I dragged to the new audio drive, seven work well in 7.2. Three of the sessions won't open. They open until inserts start loading. Then, PT "Deactivates Plugins" and "Reactivates Plugins"...and PT crashes.

I tried SSCI directly to the G5 audio drive by ethernet cable directly connecting the 2 machines. The older machine is a G4 DP 1.25 w/PT 6.9.3. I'm not sure that migration is the problem. At first, I thought network sharing the files was corrupting the sessions, but the same problem exists getting files directly from the firewire backup drive and the G4 audio drive. It may be a plugin issue, but all plugs are updated.

Does anyone have something to try before reinstalling PT 7.2? It's a little strange because all seems well except certain sessions.

As always, I appreciate everyone whos helped me out here.
Thanks,
Chas

Chief Technician 09-23-2006 01:56 PM

Re: Migration Problems?

You could try dragging all of your plug-ins out of the plug-ins folder, and then opening your sessions. If they open, then it is a plug-in problem (whether its a compatibility issue or the way the DSP is allocated I don't know). You could then start adding plug-ins back to the folder, and continue opening the sessions. Eventually you will find the problem plug-in for those sessions.

1511 09-23-2006 01:59 PM

Thanks for the reply. That seems like an excellent first approach. Would I drag plugins into the unused plugin folder?
I appreciate the help,
Chas

JGuth 09-23-2006 06:07 PM

Having any incompatable plug ins in you PI folder can mess w PT 7-you must check and update every one, even if not used in a session. Either update or remove the old ones. There are a few threads about this...

Chief Technician 09-23-2006 06:55 PM

Quote:

Would I drag plugins into the unused plugin folder?

Yes. Just make certain that you always have a mixer plug-in in the plug-ins folder. Pro Tools will not launch without one of the following mixer plug-ins installed:

Stereo Mixer
Stereo Dithered Mixer
Surround Mixer
Surround Dithered Mixer

1511 09-23-2006 09:46 PM

All my plugins have been updated for PT 7. Twice.
Thanks for the suggestion, though.