Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Midi Regions / Losing the first midi note when duplicated (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=266681)

sad1robot 02-09-2010 10:28 PM

Midi Regions / Losing the first midi note when duplicated

Midi Regions / Losing the first note when duplicated.

here is my situation:

I have a 2 bar midi region of notes triggering a an Akai s950
with slices of a drum break. ( Old school style of Recycle / pre Rex file player)
every time i copy the midi region to a different location the First midi note inthe copied region is always missing. This is annoying. Why is it doing this ???where and why isnt that note making the move? Frustrating . whats the Logic behind this? Do i have a preference setting that needs to be set to turn this annoying feature off?

why dont midi regions just copy like the audio?
ill crack the Pdf manual. but if someone knows how to get around this id appreciate some help

crizdee 02-10-2010 01:25 AM

Re: Midi Regions / Losing the first midi note when duplicated

Quote:

Originally Posted by sad1robot (Post 1551427)

here is my situation:

I have a 2 bar midi region of notes triggering a an Akai s950
with slices of a drum break. ( Old school style of Recycle / pre Rex file player)
every time i copy the midi region to a different location the First midi note inthe copied region is always missing. This is annoying. Why is it doing this ???where and why isnt that note making the move? Frustrating . whats the Logic behind this? Do i have a preference setting that needs to be set to turn this annoying feature off?

why dont midi regions just copy like the audio?
ill crack the Pdf manual. but if someone knows how to get around this id appreciate some help

Hi,

Is the first note definitely quantized on the grid?

How are you quantizing the midi? real-time midi?
Using the real time properties window have you used "write to region" to convert to non real-time quantize.
are you in tick based tracks or samples?

Chris

doopadee 02-10-2010 11:39 AM

Most likely, the first midi note is placed BEFORE the grid marking. Quantize just that one note so that it begins within the bars you are copying. If you don't want to quantize the note because it changes the feel, then just make your 2 bar selection starting at or before your first note.

soundboy35 02-10-2010 11:44 AM

If that first note is even the tiniest bit early on the grid, it won't copy or duplicate.
You have to really zoom in sometimes to check it.
I still don't understand why when using MIDI region view, and you cut on the grid,
it doesn't split that bad note. Maybe the "trim to start" feature? I have seen where
you quantize a note, and it still precedes the grid enough to not copy.

Intransit 02-10-2010 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sad1robot (Post 1551427)

I have this same problem even when the note is on the grid. This has been driving me crazy for years. I'm a composer and midi is a HUGH part of what I do. Nothing I have tried fixes this. I have to use the grabber tool to circle in my selection then move it over holding option. It sucks. For years this has been a work flow mystery. I would love to know the logic behind this too.

Oh... Ticks or samples same problem.

soundboy35 02-10-2010 02:22 PM

The only way I've been able to fix this when there are notes preceding a bit, is to go to notes view in grid mode,
select the area to duplicate or copy with the selector tool, and "trim to selection" (Command T), then duplicate, etc.
Sometimes it looks like the note is on the grid, but when zoomed in enough, you will see a tiny piece that precedes.
Why it won't quantize correctly in the first place is anybody's guess....

tonwurm 02-10-2010 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intransit (Post 1551851)
I have this same problem even when the note is on the grid. This has been driving me crazy for years. I'm a composer and midi is a HUGH part of what I do. Nothing I have tried fixes this. I have to use the grabber tool to circle in my selection then move it over holding option. It sucks. For years this has been a work flow mystery. I would love to know the logic behind this too.

Oh... Ticks or samples same problem.

consolidating the region (shift alt 3) seems to fix this issue

tonwurm 02-10-2010 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy35 (Post 1551880)
The only way I've been able to fix this when there are notes preceding a bit, is to go to notes view in grid mode,
select the area to duplicate or copy with the selector tool, and "trim to selection" (Command T), then duplicate, etc.
Sometimes it looks like the note is on the grid, but when zoomed in enough, you will see a tiny piece that precedes.
Why it won't quantize correctly in the first place is anybody's guess....

open the midi editor window and place the cursor at the desired start postion an hit 'trim to start'

soundboy35 02-10-2010 05:40 PM

I'm using 7.4, but the Trim to Selection seems to work.