Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Help With ADAT Sync?? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=36919)

BassD 09-08-2000 05:22 PM

Help With ADAT Sync??

Please! Anyone out there... Can someone help me get my digi 001 to sync to ADAT and record at the same time?

I have been going through hell trying to do what I thought was a relatively simple thing to do for quite some time now and I am going nuts without success. I have a relatively killer new set up: A G4 500mhz single proc. with a lot of ram. I have a Digi 001, three ADAT xt20's and a MOTU Midi Timepiece AV. I have gone through the set up, the trashing, and re-settting up of all the OMS and MOTU software.

I have gone through the various session set-up and preferences and to tell ya the truth the ADATs just jump right to attention and lock to wherever I set my P-tools start time. As one would expect. Until I try to record anything!!!! At first I thought it was just a Goofy problem Getting the LE software to sync to the incoming Optical of the ADAT Light Pipe. I got that crazy barrage of error window-return- error window- return etc......

So i says to myself well THAT sucks! 24bit P-tools doesn't seem to like 20bit ADAT. So why the Light pipe? Go figure. So I naturally decided to start cutting my losses and just Do the transfers Analog. But the P-tools transport will not go into record under MMC. Also the P-tools session will not go into play and record while the ADATs are synced ONLINE in Protools Transport Mode. But As soon as you turn off the record enable the whole things locks solid like it should and both the machines and the session move along.I try to put P-tools back into Record and it all just hangs there with the record-Play and Online buttons Blinking at me in a taunting and meneacing way Along with the ADATs who just sit there in Stop Mode. I hit the Stop button on the P-tools transport and the record light goes off, the machines jump to attention again and the whole session purrs along like gravy... But without being in record.

By the way everything seems to work just fine when the ADATs are not synced to the Computer and I just free wheel both the ADATS and then the P-tools. Even the optical works just fine then. It doesn't even mind the 20bit audio coming in. P-tools just syncs right up to the incoming Optical and it records just great. And It plays back at the right Pitch after returning to Internal sync. but without having the ADAT sync to reference the Start time to It is ludicrous to go back and Record the other Two ADATs worth of audio. Unless I freewheel those as well and line them up by Ear???

So what am I missing here??? There must be some way to set up the software to do two simple things at the same time. Generate and spit out a simple timecode for the Timepiece AV.... AND put itself into record. I mean the program plays like over twenty tracks back with real time Processing on more than half of them at the same time.

I have to be missing a key tweak somewhere.

I truly need help on this little problem. The company I work for is planning on installing almost a hundred of these set-ups over the next year, and while I don't think our clients are expecting the cute little buggers to lock to atomic plant reference, I do thing that they are expecting us to get them to lock to there Multitracks long enough to Edit and/or mix a song and then stick the audio back on there machines. Right?

As I said I can really use the help out there. Thanks in advance for any assistance.