Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   MBOX Studio (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
-   -   MBox Studio - Mac Mini late 2018 Processor Issue (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=423042)

macfac2020 01-04-2023 08:16 PM

MBox Studio - Mac Mini late 2018 Processor Issue

Hey folks,

I'm sure this might sound like a dumb question, but here's the deal. I recently purchased the new MBox Studio for my ProTools setup that I run on my late 2018 model Mac Mini which has a 3 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5 processor. I didn't realize until after I made my purchase that apparently the MBox Studio requires an "M1 or Intel Core 2 Duo Processor (i5 or faster recommended)".

I'm perplexed because I just purchased my Mac Mini in 2020 (apparently just before they released the 2020 version), and I would think that Avid would support the 2018 model. Is there anyway around this to get the MBox Studio to work with my setup so that I don't have to purchase an entirely brand new computer? (I priced a new Mac Mini and Apple is only offering me $120 trade-in value for a $1600 computer - 16 GB memory, 1TB storage :mad:) If I can't use the MBox, I'll probably just return it and continue using my Focusrite, but it would've been great to have this upgrade for my setup. Any thoughts?

Sardi 01-04-2023 08:41 PM

Re: MBox Studio - Mac Mini late 2018 Processor Issue

It will work fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ben Jenssen 01-04-2023 09:18 PM

Yes. It will work fine.
It's 'class compliant', meaning it works thru Apple's CoreAudio, so it doesn't need a driver. Just plug-n-play.
M1 or Intel doesn't matter.

macfac2020 01-05-2023 01:41 AM

Thanks so much for the reply!

So I have the MBox Studio plugged in, it's powered on, but I keep getting the window saying "Please connect the MBox to the computer, and make sure it's powered up."

I also checked the Sound settings on the computer, and the MBox doesn't show as any input or output device.

I feel like I've tried everything, but I must be missing something.

Ben Jenssen 01-05-2023 01:48 AM

Is it Protools giving this error message?
Have you tried launching PT while holding down the 'n' key? This will let you select the Studio as the Protools audio engine.

macfac2020 01-05-2023 01:56 AM

That error is coming from the MBox Control app: https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/se...EM6e0000065IbK

I just tried launching ProTools while holding the "n" key, and the MBox does not show as one of the options for the ProTools Audio Engine.

On the Avid Troubleshooting Site for MBox Studio, here's what it says:

If MBOX Control does not show a connected device, MBOX will likely also not appear as an available Playback Engine device in Pro Tools (or your chosen DAW).

If you encounter this, please pursue the following troubleshooting steps:

1) Verify System Requirements. (I did this, which where I saw the discrepancy regarding the processor.)
2) Verify cabling. MBOX Studio comes with a USB C-Type Cable and a USB C-Type to USB A-Type Adapter. If you've misplaced the included cable and adapter, and have purchased additional cables, please make sure they are USB C-Type. A Thunderbolt cable, or a Display Port Cable will not work. (I've done this as well.)
3) If cables have been verified and MBOX is connected directly to your computer, please try a different USB port on your workstation. If you are using a USB hub, it would be helpful to connect MBOX Studio directly to your host workstation for troubleshooting purposes to eliminate the hub as potentially causing an issue. (I've tried both ports on the Mac Mini, and I don't have it going through a USB Hub.)

JFreak 01-05-2023 01:58 AM

Hardware are compatible. How about software? MBOX Studio is so new that older PT might not be able to connect. So what is this "setup" you have? OS version and PT version need to first of all be compatible, but you also need fresh enough that the box can be recognized.

EDIT:
Here are the MBOX Studio requirements.
Here are the OS/PT software compatibility info.

Combine the two infopages and you shall find you need macOS 10.15.7 or later, which means you also need PT 2020.11 or later. So what is your setup?

macfac2020 01-05-2023 02:00 AM

Hey JFreak!

I'm on macOS 12.5 and using ProTools 2022.6.0

dominicperry 01-05-2023 02:12 AM

So the MBox itself is class compliant, but the Control software may not run happily on your machine. What version of MacOS are you using?

Even if the MBox Control software isn't installed or isn't running properly, your Mac should still see it as a Class Compliant device and allow you to select it as your audio input/output, using the System Preferences -> Sound control panel. If it's in that list and you can select it and use it for system sounds, then the problem is with the MBox control software. However, if you can't see it in that list, you have one of a small number of problems (starting with the most likely):
1) Bad cable. Try another one. The one that comes in the box isn't necessarily working ok.
2) Borked MBox. It happens, the hardware may be dead.
3) Borked USB port or ports. Try some other devices in them and see if they work.
4) Corrupt MacOS install meaning your USB ports or CoreAudio aren't working. Pretty unlikely, frankly.

Dominic

macfac2020 01-05-2023 02:17 AM

dominicperry: IT WAS THE CABLE!!!!!

Thanks so much for that tip. As soon as I used a different cable, everything came right up!

So glad I don't have to buy a new computer or send back the interface!

Thanks everyone for your help!