Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Let's hear your latest stuff....right here (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=60365)

panicstrickin 09-24-2005 02:46 PM

Re: Guitarjam w/Rex drums

I wonder whats wrong? If I click on it I can......hmmm....Does the link take you to the page that says Josh Moore in black bold at the top? If so....you need to click on the link that is blue, and says music.....that take you to the choices....you can listen right there with their player, or download the mp3. If not I don't know what I am doing wrong Try this one....Josh Moore

superpenguin79 09-24-2005 07:25 PM

for soundclick.com you do have to register as a user in order to access folks tunes on there... that is one down side of it being a free site... but Josh is correct that the music link will work after registering on their site and once you register you'll be able to access other tunes for other sound click users for free also.

panicstrickin 09-24-2005 07:48 PM

What about myspace? are they the same too?

Roy Howell 09-25-2005 11:44 AM

Josh...your guitars sound really nice...especially like the recurring intro section...drums need to be tighter and bass would add a lot. But, some inspired stuff there, and I enjoyed it.

-Roy

powerjoe 09-25-2005 01:32 PM

Re: Let\'s hear your latest stuff....right here

Hey all,

I just finished this one with my friend in France, Jacques Soubra. Our band is called: Jacker.

Drums of War

It's almost all virtual instruments except for one lead guitar solo and vocals. The Drums are DFHS which he programs with a mouse, the guitar solo is an RG7620 through a Line6 POD Pro. I used a BBE Sonic Maximizer plug in on the guitar. The vocals were done through a modded Apex 460, Mogami cable into a Neve Portico and then straight into a 002 line level in.

The song was recording in PT and Nuendo and mixed in Nuendo.

Have a listen.

Cheers,

~ J

Sharritan 09-26-2005 05:32 AM

Joel,
Very impressive for all virtual instuments. I think the drums sound great. I couldnt wait to hear how that Portico sounded, very well done.

powerjoe 09-26-2005 08:01 AM

Cheer mate!

It is "mostly" virtual, yes. I am impressed with the Portico, but I am less impressed with the Apex 460, even when modded. The noise floor is quite low, but there is little headroom and it over modulates very easy with my voice. I have not tried it with any of my BLUE mics yet, but they are on deck.

Thanks for your feedback once again!

~ J

superpenguin79 09-26-2005 09:41 AM

Joel: drums sound amazing on your track for virtual man! Must have taken forever to program all the intricate parts eh? Might sound cool with a vocal dropped 2 octaves or so behind the lead vocal to give it a slight low/growl to it on this track too, but otherwise great tune man! peace

Roy Howell 09-27-2005 12:45 PM

Re: New Songs

Quote:

I made a few adjustments to one I posted ealier and am adding another. Comments welcome:

All The Time

Steve is back

Sharritan.....Very nice job recording these guys...cool songs...singer's great. There are a few places where the piano could drop back, and vocal could be slightly hotter(can't quite get the lyrics in those places), but I bet you've already fixed that by now...sounds great overall. Good job.

-Roy

Stiff 09-27-2005 01:55 PM

Re: Work in Progress

Hi Roy!
How are you? Nice setup man, I'll come over and play your guitars if that's ok with you

IntelDoc 09-28-2005 05:55 AM

Summertime new \"T.R.\" tune

All,
Have not been around much, but here is another one that I finished up for the Rothman project. This is more of a G. Love "free vibe" kinda tune. Had some fun with it.

SUMMERTIME

I have posted this awhile ago, but it was just guitar. We redid it, and mixed a lot of extras in it. Jstunner played the bass parts for us and emailed me the file. Love the Internet.

Enjoy,

Doc

superpenguin79 09-28-2005 09:24 AM

Re: Summertime new \"T.R.\" tune

Doc: new version of the Rothman tune is great man! you guys have a great groove going on this one and hats off to jstunner on the groove for the bassline also dude. For some reason I hear some form of trumpet towards the end where the break down hits also and then to ride out the last choruses.. might just be the fact that Lemix has drilled trumpets into my brain on the DUCthang track that we've been working on though... hehe Great work on this one though man! btw.. does Rothman have a website? I was meaning to ask you that. Good go have you back on the boards also dude. peace

IntelDoc 09-28-2005 11:12 AM

Thanks man! It works better.

Toms site is:

http://www.phifermusic.net/

Enjoy,
Doc

superpenguin79 09-28-2005 12:18 PM

dude, per his site he is just a young kid! lol I thought from his tunes that he would be a dude about mid 30's or something writing like that. heheh He should go drop a copy of his record when you guys finish it up to a label somewhere man. thanks for the link. peace

IntelDoc 09-28-2005 05:06 PM

He is 19 or possibly 20 now, but 19 still I think. Been working with him since 17. Good kid and been through a lot.

He is promoting it pretty big when it is all said and done.

Thanks man,
Doc

FormerlyKnownAsMrT 09-29-2005 03:27 AM

Re: Mac Mixes!!!!!!!!

Hi guys.
It's been a long time I haven't been on that board. Since I came here for a useless post on the TDM side, I re-discovered this thread and thought I could point to my website (see signature) where you can view and listen to the cheapest video clip ever made.
Everything was done at home, the song was recorded using that good old Digi001 (still there!) and I did all the performing, (silly) "acting", shooting, video editing, video FX, coffee, , sandwiches and so on...
Please don't get offended by the title of the song (as some prude guy did on another board), no agressive/hatred lyrics inside...
Hope, you'll like it as much as I enjoyed doing it!
MrT (who can't login anymore).

Joz 09-29-2005 03:37 AM

Overnight Lows

This is my best mix yet! We are really proud of this song, it was all magic in the studio.
http://www.overnightlows.com/music/littlelives.mp3

www.overnightlows.com
Joz

IntelDoc 09-29-2005 05:19 AM

Re: Overnight Lows

Joz,
Cool tune and great mix. I would suggest bringing the vocals up a db or two but that is it. They sit a tad back to me in the mix. Seems that the guitars are up front just a smidge to her voice. Drums are nice for the song and of course great capture of the sounds.

On the oooh's I would pan them some with maybe a slight delay but that is just me. The distortion on her voice seems to blend into the guitar that sits dead center so that is why I suggest her boost ever so slightly and maybe pan that guitar -5 or so ya know.

Where did you track this and what did you mix it on... the big studio again?

Great job man.

Doc

Joz 09-29-2005 05:47 AM

Drums at the studio, everything else at my house, and mixed it at my house as well, with PT LE and the 002
I think everything went through my brent Averills and rosetta. except drums, those were the 002 inputs and the modified API board at the studio. And the clock sourse was the rosetta, I don't know how much of a difference it makes using the 002 pre's with the rosetta as a clock source because I've never recorded using the internal clock.

Weird, the guitars are panned <30 and 30> in the bridge and the oohs are panned 80> and a huge delay to the left. I was gonna do something about it. It's the tone that its just kinda muddy, but then I heard it on my car and decided to leave it. Sometimes my favorite mixes are the ones that have something weird that I would change, hard to explain, maybe I'm just weird
after all this time, this my first mix that doesnt have that digital sound, specially in the high range and and low mids. I decided to tackle that problem! It actually took me not mixing the song in an hour like most of the time

Is that link to your studio? wow I wish I had something like that, maybe then I'd get work

Joz

Sharritan 09-29-2005 05:52 AM

Joz,
What amp are you playing. I have loved the guitar tone on all the songs you post.

Joz 09-29-2005 06:23 AM

It's mainly a marshall JCM800 clean channel with a carl martin distortion pedal. sometimes I use a Vox amp, at I tweek them and they sound very similar when recorded because most of the tone (in my case) comes from my Less Paul Goldtop. I am lucky that my guitar sounds better then most other goldtops. An observation I made is that it is lighter than most Less Pauls, maybe that makes it resonate in a different way, I don't know.
Plus I do crazy stuff with the knows that most people wouldn't. Like cranking the mid and high knobs in the amps all the way up, and the bass almost down. Most mixers cut the low stuff anyways in the mix to give room for the bass and kick. I try to get the sound from the beginning, and believe me there's still plenty of low stuff to cut. Also the the good all trick of turning the amp to 11.

Joz

IntelDoc 09-29-2005 07:23 AM

Joz,
No worries man, just ideas! Sounds great! THe Rosetta does help! I use mine all the damn time. Yes, that is my studio link below. It is fun and keeps me sane from the real world defense job. Good times.

Great mix. To be honest, I have never used my 002 pre's. No need with all the outboard now, but I am curious if clocking off the rosetta helps too? I am sure it does not hurt ya know.

Doc

superpenguin79 09-29-2005 09:36 AM

Joz: nice work on the new mix of little lives man! The new stuff definately gives the track some cool new ambience in there. The break down is cool in the song structure also. peace

Spirithunter 09-30-2005 04:12 AM

Great song Joz!

Either the guitars are a tad loud or vocals need to be brought up a touch.I want to get lost in her singing but the guitar seemed to be in front of her.

Love her voice!

Nice job!

~Bob

Joz 10-01-2005 02:02 AM

Here's another one http://www.overnightlows.com/music/onlyme.mp3
I posted it a while back, but I made it better

Joz

BretFarewell 10-02-2005 01:12 AM

Finally just recently finished recording 2 projects I'm very happy with. I used a Valley People Dynamite on my kick and snare (AMAZING compresser/limiter for kick/snare, although not much of a use for anything else), and I used a DBX 367 on the bass which helped a lot. I would love to hear your opinions.

Acentric:
www.myspace.com/acentric

Ann Lynn:
www.myspace.com/annlynn

for the myspace players, be sure to slide the volume all the way up.
Both bands were mastered by Kris Crummet of Interlace Studios in Portland, OR.

Sharritan 10-03-2005 06:17 AM

Brett. sounds great. Good songs too.

superpenguin79 10-03-2005 09:35 AM

Joz: only me sounds a bit more ambient this time which is cool man. nice work on tweaking.

Bret: I agree on the snare sound on those tracks man, nice job! Both bands don't have too bad of tunes either. Just wish myspace would work for downloading stuff..

superpenguin79 10-03-2005 01:09 PM

Hey guys,

got a couple new ones that I finished demo work on, might pull these outta the archives later down the road to do something else with them, but for now they are done. Enjoy!

Drifting
Part of Me
Sunrise

Joz 10-03-2005 04:21 PM

BretFarewell, I love those mixes, specially Gnarl Carl by Ann Lynn. And that song reminds me of the beattles, its really good.

Joz

ryanstack 10-03-2005 04:54 PM

Two instrumental rock songs

I figured I'd post a couple of songs that I had recorded/mixed of my band from this past February.

I did these with my 001 and presonus firestaion for the extra 8 A/D via light pipe. 24 bit @ 44.1 khz

As far as pre's I used the two on the 001 and the two on the firestation. For the other pre's I rented
a presonus blue tube and a Mackie CR1604-VLZ.

Mic's: Oktava mk319, CAD M179, (2) c1000, beta 52, a bunch of sm57's, nady small diaphragm (i forget the model, it was only used for the hi hat, but rarely got used in the mix due to the overheads and room mic), and a few crappy nady dynamic mics for the guitar scratch tracks.

After reading this you can tell that this was a very 'low budget' recording. However given the total use of low end gear I am fairly happy with the finished product. We had a lot of trouble micing up the rack toms, due to our drummer's massive kit of 4 toms, 1 roto tom, 2 snares, and 11 some odd cymbals and bells. It was very hard to get the mics at a good angle on the toms, leaving the tom tracks VERY woofy and lifeless.

please feel free to leave me some feedback.

sweatsuit type of guy - this song is a some what laid back

Command Center - this song is a little on the heavier side

thanks
ryan

superpenguin79 10-03-2005 05:19 PM

Re: Two instrumental rock songs

Ryan: cool tunes man! Sweatsuit has some cool dynamics, and I dig the entire vibe of Command Center. Sort of reminds me of some Perfect Circle meets System of a down they way it keeps changing tempos like that.. good stuff on a low budget recording man. peace

Joz 10-04-2005 02:34 AM

Overnight Lows

Ok so here it is the final version of little lives and delay the wait(an old song remixed and I played guitar like I do live). I'm very happy with how they came out.

http://www.overnightlows.com/music/delaythewait.mp3

Joz

superpenguin79 10-04-2005 09:57 AM

Joz: dig the ambience on both tracks, guitars are great! vox are a tad buried on little lives slightly, maybe a low shelf filter on her voice during the verses or just a level raise? . I dig the harmonizing you guys put in on the backup vox also and the rocked out half time part in the end of little lives is cool man! nice work! peace

tempest18 10-05-2005 03:19 PM

Quote:

Ok so here it is the final version of little lives and delay the wait(an old song remixed and I played guitar like I do live). I'm very happy with how they came out.

Joz

Great work man,

How are you tunes so loud?

I dont wanna start another debate about loudness wars and over compressing but anytime I try to get one of my tunes to that level I have to blast the crap out of a couple limiters and it just sounds really distorted.

My mixes before I consider trying to master them never have that upfront presence or loudness that I have heard from unmastered mixes by others. I never understood that.

CT

superpenguin79 10-06-2005 09:26 AM

not sure if anyone has given these a listen yet, but got a couple new ones... please let me know what ya think about them. They are demo's at the moment pretty much.

www.myspace.com/ntertainmentgroupinc

Joz 10-06-2005 05:29 PM

[/QUOTE]
Great work man,

How are you tunes so loud?....

My mixes before I consider trying to master them never have that upfront presence or loudness that I have heard from unmastered mixes by others. I never understood that.

CT

[/QUOTE]

I hear you. I really took my a long time to get mixes right so they wouldnt be destroyed in mastering (they still do ofcourse but not so noticeble) its mostly in the mixing. And when I get a decent balance for the mix, I insert a waves L2 on the master fader not to hard just to check how it's going to sound later in mastering. Then I leave the L2 there and finish the mix from there. But the most important thing is understanding what freqs make the kick punch and bass sit with the kick, Mid fres that give the impression of power etc... We all have a rough idea of this, but it is really hard to get it right without making the lows a mess and the highs harsh

http://www.overnightlows.com/music/onlyme.mp3

Joz

skhand 10-07-2005 06:19 PM

These are all in the box mixes:
13against2
Innocence
BackToSleep
Venus

If you like any it check out:
http://www.burnyourrecords.com for more Rock

powerjoe 10-08-2005 09:35 AM

KASHMIR

Here's a version of Zep's "Kashmir" that I did with my friend Jacques Soubra and our band: Jacker.

Kashmir

We kicked around about 6 versions of the song, and thought this one was interesting..

Cheers,

~ J

Scotty_OiArT 10-09-2005 12:52 AM

Quote:

These are all in the box mixes:
13against2
Innocence
BackToSleep
Venus

If you like any it check out:
http://www.burnyourrecords.com for more Rock

Good Tunes, Great Band, Great Studio --> (Threshold Music??? I am just guessing you tracked and mixed them there I followed the link from your website. I really like the design of the Live Room)

Anyways my comment / question is.... How Exactly In the box mixing are we talking for these tracks ? (TDM Summing Bus? LE Rig? External Clock? Analog Console?)

They are good tracks, love to know how they were done,
Thanks in advance,
Scott