Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Can't select MIDI Notes after Quantizing them in 2022.6 [PT-289219] (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=420833)

Dizzi45Z 07-05-2022 12:06 PM

Can't select MIDI Notes after Quantizing them in 2022.6 [PT-289219]

Okay, so MIDI is definitely messed up for me in 2022.6 and I've seen a couple other people post in other threads that they are having the exact same issues. I'm not exactly sure what causes it, but I often see it happen right after I quantize MIDI.

Big Sur: 11.6
Mac Pro (2019) 160 GB RAM
Pro Tools 2022.6

After quantizing, I am unable to select notes, only trim them. When I trim them, they often duplicate. All of these strange issues are best seen in this video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOhy..._channel=DaveZ

Evil Jack 07-07-2022 05:55 AM

Re: 2022.6 MIDI Quantize/Selection Weirdness BUG

Same thing happening here.

Good grief what an embarrassing bug.

thin ice 07-07-2022 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Jack (Post 2641361)
Same thing happening here.

Good grief what an embarrassing bug.

Is your OS and computer the same?

blinches 07-07-2022 07:57 AM

Not exactly the same here, but quantizing with the shortcut sometimes deselects the notes after doing the cmd+opt+0 new shortcut...

pretty stupid to deselect the notes... if I wanna quantize in steps 20% i need to re-select them each time

Evil Jack 07-07-2022 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thin ice (Post 2641364)
Is your OS and computer the same?

HD Native
Mojave 10.14.6
Mac Pro 2010 32GB RAM

So no.
Sadly for me.;)

ZEUSS 07-07-2022 11:17 AM

I went back to 2021.12

Too many crashes when editing midi. Everything is fine with 2021.12

Kleinlich 07-07-2022 01:58 PM

I have exactly the same problem with the midi notes after quantization in Pro Tools 2022.6, but in Windows 10.
After quantize most of the midi notes can no longer be selected, edited or deleted and are duplicated. This is very annoying.
I'll go back to an older version too.

fsavell 07-07-2022 09:14 PM

I'm getting the same from simply dragging Massey DRT midi onto a midi track. Can't select or move midi notes in note view or in the midi editor.
It was just working fine on a previous session however.

Forrester

Mountclear 07-08-2022 11:20 AM

I'm having this issue as well - not able to select a note - It will play the note sound, but I can't edit velocity, extend or move the note. This has happened where there are many midi blocks in the track - Once I consolidate it fixes it - but a HUGE pain. It always seem like its 2 steps forward 3 back with PTs. I also just had an issue where I couldn't delete a midi note.

blinches 07-08-2022 03:11 PM

I have it across all projects. easily reproducible. Mods should sticky this.

Mountclear 07-08-2022 05:15 PM

After woking with midi all day this is a BIG problem = Makes working with midi almost impossible at times. There needs to be a patch fix for this asap.

rinky 07-08-2022 07:08 PM

Indeed. 'Been experiencing that as well!

ejsongs 07-08-2022 07:52 PM

Thank you all for posting this...I was just about to install 2022.6. I will for sure wait, as I do all of my midi in pt these days. I am so very glad I checked this before i did the installation

Ej

jlf37 07-08-2022 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kleinlich (Post 2641399)
I have exactly the same problem with the midi notes after quantization in Pro Tools 2022.6, but in Windows 10.
After quantize most of the midi notes can no longer be selected, edited or deleted and are duplicated. This is very annoying.
I'll go back to an older version too.

same problem(s) here. :mad: very frustrating. rolling on back...

Evil Jack 07-09-2022 04:43 AM

You have to ask how this makes it to release....

blinches 07-09-2022 08:58 AM

You ask yourself who are the actual beta testers. Probably none, or old folks who don't really stress test the systems. Also MIDI isn't top priority in PT so they just kinda let it slip.

Another thought this issue brings to mind is whenever PT does get Native Apple silicon support, how many issues will that bring? seems like this release was focused on fixing a lot of MIDI stuff as well, but at the same time broke it.

I am so pessimistic on Avid's apple silicon compatability, I am actually betting on two years min. for making it a stable platform AFTER initial release. and two years actually makes it not sustainable, and that correlates to their sub system, they have it in their best interest to keep some things broken so you will be tied to their update system, which for some reason correlates to months? (2022.5) instead of real software versions like Ableton (11.6.1) so they really postpone fixing stuff. I have to roll back and use old software to be stable and wait until WHO knows when...

/rant over

Novae Studios 07-09-2022 09:34 AM

Yes, I have the same bug in 2022.6. Very annoying.

ejsongs 07-09-2022 11:31 AM

Avid where are you guys???

This issue is very important to those of us who produce and compose in pro tools. You guys would not allow a bug this blatant on the audio side, would you?

As previously suggested, please get more beta testers who are really using your products to create...not just mix.

Crap...i'll volunteer, as I'm sure would others here, if this helps to prevent things like this from reoccurring and slipping through the cracks.

Many on this thread have been with you for a long tlme. Me, since v5 (2001) so we know what we are doing by now and our fealty should go without question...especially considering all of the various avid transformations.

ej

grayter1 07-09-2022 02:27 PM

I just tried this and although I've mostly transitioned to Nuendo, I still get PT sessions and have stubborn faith Avid will get their **** together one day.

I couldn't repeat the midi note problem. I placed a single note on the editor, selected it, quantized it and was able to move it around at will. I switched between slip and grid, quantized multiple times, but couldn't break it.

So far midi editing is working as advertised for me --- unless I'm doing it wrong.

tg

ronwasserman 07-10-2022 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mountclear (Post 2641461)
I'm having this issue as well - not able to select a note - It will play the note sound, but I can't edit velocity, extend or move the note. This has happened where there are many midi blocks in the track - Once I consolidate it fixes it - but a HUGE pain. It always seem like its 2 steps forward 3 back with PTs. I also just had an issue where I couldn't delete a midi note.

Same exact issue

lesbrunn 07-10-2022 11:02 AM

This is bad. I'm rolling back... I wonder how such things pass through QC? I really believed MIDI had been improved.

Ghost In The Attic 07-10-2022 02:49 PM

I'm trying to reproduce this, but have not been able to. Is there a set of steps that will always create it, even in a new session?

take77 07-10-2022 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghost In The Attic (Post 2641619)
I'm trying to reproduce this, but have not been able to. Is there a set of steps that will always create it, even in a new session?

I was able to reproduce in a new 2022.6 session (PC/W10) doing these steps:

1. Create a new session (44.1hKz @120BPM)

2. Create an instrument track and insert an instrument.

3. Set to either Slip or Grid mode (able to repro in both modes).

4. Create a new MIDI clip by selecting a couple bars and consolidating (Alt+Shift+3 on Windows)

5. Manually enter a group of random MIDI notes onto the grid.

6. Lasso the group of notes and Right click to open Quantize options.

7. From the note duration drop down menu choose one of the groove templates shown in yellow (just to move the notes around a bit) and click Apply or hit Enter.

8. Try to re-select some or all of the MIDI notes and attempt to move them.

Some or all off the notes become immovable and/or the ones that do move duplicate leaving notes in place after moving.

Sometimes only one note stays selected.

Fortunately, I have some established tracks that don't need quantization at this time. I also was not able to reproduce when simply choosing 16th notes as the quantization value.
I've not yet tried any other note values except the groove templates (to change manually entered/quantized notes on the grid around).

Sometimes re-consolidating the clip (Alt+Shift+3) solves the immovability & note selection problem depending on the quantization value.

Working with basic 16th note quantization of newly created clips & manually entered notes in Grid mode has worked fine and hasn't created any problems so far.

Nick Morzov 07-10-2022 06:10 PM

I'm convinced they just don't have beta testers anymore

grayter1 07-11-2022 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by take77 (Post 2641622)
I was able to reproduce in a new session (PC/W10) doing these steps:

I was able to reproduce following these steps. Ugh...

[opens up Nuendo and keeps working]

tg

daeron80 07-11-2022 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Morzov (Post 2641627)
I'm convinced they just don't have beta testers anymore

People who update before spending a couple weeks on the DUC and Expert sites are the beta testers. Thank you for your sacrifice. :D

Eric Lambert 07-11-2022 11:24 AM

It seems to be working here on a Studio Ultra w/ OS 12.4.

Ghost In The Attic 07-11-2022 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by take77 (Post 2641622)
I was able to reproduce in a new session (PC/W10) doing these steps:

1. Create a new session (44.1hKz @120BPM)

2. Create an instrument track and insert an instrument.

3. Set to either Slip or Grid mode (able to repro in both modes).

4. Create a new MIDI clip by selecting a couple bars and consolidating (Alt+Shift+3 on Windows)

5. Manually enter a group of random MIDI notes onto the grid.

6. Lasso the group of notes and Right click to open Quantize options.

7. From the note duration drop down menu choose one of the groove templates shown in yellow (just to move the notes around a bit) and click Apply or hit Enter.

8. Try to re-select some or all of the MIDI notes and attempt to move them.

Some or all off the notes become immovable and/or the ones that do move duplicate* leaving notes in place after moving.

Sometimes only one note stays selected.

*The duplicated notes may have been created upon quantize as they only show after moving

Fortunately, I have some established tracks that don't need quantization at this time. I also was not able to reproduce when simply choosing 16th notes as the quantization value.
I've not yet tried any other note values except the groove templates (to change manually entered/quantized notes on the grid around).

Sometimes re-consolidating the clip (Alt+Shift+3) solves the immovability & note selection problem depending on the quantization value.

Working with basic 16th note quantization of newly created clips & manually entered notes in Grid mode has worked fine and hasn't created any problems so far.

I followed these instructions and cannot duplicate the problem. I am on an old 2012 Chesegrater Mac running Mojave.

take77 07-11-2022 05:14 PM

Well that's actually good that you and others are unable to reproduce.
I'm not doing any quantize tasks in my projects at this time but can see how this would be a downer for those affected.
So I tried out a couple quick tests to help ascertain some of the whys and wherefores of the issue.

Let's stay encouraged knowing at least MIDI is being given attention.
It's possible the issue can be addressed in the next release and join the list of other recent fixes.

Thank you to those who have submitted a support ticket to address this.

Tubthumper 07-11-2022 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daeron80 (Post 2641671)
People who update before spending a couple weeks on the DUC and Expert sites are the beta testers. Thank you for your sacrifice. :D

Ha, yes, this is the cold light of day.

What is the "Expert" site?

take77 07-13-2022 08:03 PM

Does this bug occur when using the newly added MIDI features: "Quantize MIDI events via key command without needing to open the Event Operations Window & Quantize can “Follow Bars|Beats Grid"?

I just read the release info again and thought: Maybe the new way works and only using the other Event Operation options are bugged??

Since "Quantize Enhancement" is one of the recent focuses maybe a priority fix is soon to follow.

take77 07-14-2022 12:01 AM

Update:

Following the instructions for the two new quantize features documented in the "What's New in 2022.6", I'm able to quantize at any note value selected in the green Grid/Note value section without being affected by the bug. (PC/W10)

See What's New in 2022.6 "Quantize Enhancements" section.

Or try these steps:

1. Go to Event*>Event Operations>Event Operations Window

2. Employ the new "Follow Bars|Beats Grid option" and close the dialogue.

3. Enable the Grid (green button) and choose the grid note value to quantize at.

4. Press Command+Option+0 (Mac) or Control+Alt+0 (Windows) to carry out quantize.

I tried this with both a MIDI drum library loop and a manually created clip/pattern in both Grid & Slip mode.

Was successfully able to quantize at all listed note values in the Grid value drop down + select, move and change note duration without issue so far.

*Just one of the listed options

Tubthumper 07-14-2022 05:06 PM

Re: Effective (RTM) Solution to recent MIDI Quantize Bug? - See: What's New in 2022.6

Nice work Mike, I'll check this out ASAP.

take77 07-15-2022 01:11 AM

Re: Effective Solution (RTM) to recent MIDI Quantize Bug? See: What's New in 2022.6

Thanks. I hope it works for you and the others having quantize issues!

Dizzi45Z 07-15-2022 02:17 PM

It doesn't matter how I quantize the issue is there no matter which approach I use (my video on the original post shows me using the new hotkeys).

Great Divide Studios 07-15-2022 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dizzi45Z (Post 2641222)
Okay, so MIDI is definitely messed up for me in 2022.6 and I've seen a couple other people post in other threads that they are having the exact same issues. I'm not exactly sure what causes it, but I often see it happen right after I quantize MIDI.

Big Sur: 11.6
Mac Pro (2019) 160 GB RAM
Pro Tools 2022.6

After quantizing, I am unable to select notes, only trim them. When I trim them, they often duplicate. All of these strange issues are best seen in this video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOhy..._channel=DaveZ

Yep, here as well on 2019 Mac Pro, Monterey 12.4

Great Divide Studios 07-15-2022 02:44 PM

Re: Effective Solution (RTM) to recent MIDI Quantize Bug? See: What's New in 2022.6

I never quantized my midi performance, but I did consolidate the edits and now I cannot audition or change velocity on the notes, but I can trim them. Very frustrating.

I did try selecting the"Follow bars and beats grid" as you suggested, but no workie.

Thanks,

Jamie

take77 07-15-2022 06:37 PM

Sorry to hear this. Looks like the issue goes beyond just the quantize features and happens when carrying out other editing tasks as well. Thanks for letting us know your findings.

jlf37 07-16-2022 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great Divide Studios (Post 2642069)
Yep, here as well on 2019 Mac Pro, Monterey 12.4

I *think* I have a fix (at least on Mac.) I’m on a Mac Pro OS Monterey 12.4.

After updating Sharing & Permissions, Disk Permissions and Accessibility Permissions for Pro Tools, I am now 72 hours with no MIDI editing bugs (at least the bugs specific to this thread.)

- Go to Applications > Pro Tools > Right Click > Get Info
- Under Sharing & Permissions
- Make sure that all users have 'Read & Write' Permission

Then check Disk and Accessibility permissions.
- Go to Apple Menu > System Preference > Security & Privacy
- Unlock from the Bottom left and enter your password
- Make sure that Pro Tools is added and enabled under the following: Microphone, Accessibility, Full Disk Access

Hopefully this works.

grayter1 07-18-2022 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlf37 (Post 2642172)
I *think* I have a fix (at least on Mac.) I’m on a Mac Pro OS Monterey 12.4.

After updating Sharing & Permissions, Disk Permissions and Accessibility Permissions for Pro Tools, I am now 72 hours with no MIDI editing bugs (at least the bugs specific to this thread.)

- Go to Applications > Pro Tools > Right Click > Get Info
- Under Sharing & Permissions
- Make sure that all users have 'Read & Write' Permission

Then check Disk and Accessibility permissions.
- Go to Apple Menu > System Preference > Security & Privacy
- Unlock from the Bottom left and enter your password
- Make sure that Pro Tools is added and enabled under the following: Microphone, Accessibility, Full Disk Access

Just tried this and it worked. My setting were mostly good, but I had to:
- set all users to 'Read & Write'
- Add PT under the Accessibility menu

Everything else was set according to your list and I could not replicate the problem as I could before changing those settings.

tg