Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools | Carbon (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=161)
-   -   Will Carbon work with Live11 and Logic (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=417039)

Southsidemusic 09-15-2021 03:08 AM

Will Carbon work with Live11 and Logic

We run 4 Apollo X8p interfaces and they work wit all DAW.

Does carbon work with logic and ableton live etc as a normal Core interface?

I get that the ”HDX” function might not but as a normal working core interface like our X series, will Carbon work stable and normal with other DAW’s than PT?

Thanks as we are buying one asap and this is a deal breaker if Carbon only runs well with Pro Tools Ultimate.

Thanks all for your help on the forum! We need you guys and gals :-)

Cowboy Bob 09-15-2021 04:53 AM

Re: Will Carbon work with Live11 and Logic

All I can say is that I have it working as a normal core audio interface with S1 when I have to use S1.

It works no differently than my other interfaces in that regard.

I MUCH prefer the workflow with Carbon and PT however, but I get your asking.

Southsidemusic 09-15-2021 07:28 AM

Sounds great!

dominicperry 09-15-2021 08:28 AM

Works ok with Logic, but you have less control over routing than you do in PT.

Latency isn't awesome with AVB - USB (at least RME's drivers) and Thunderbolt are both much better than AVB. Playing VI's is workable but I think tracking for singers and drummers is a bit on the edge with Logic. Of course, in PT it's no problem.

Provided you are using the same sample rate, you can leave PT and Logic open at the same time and both use Carbon for playback, at least in my limited testing. If you open a Logic project at the wrong sample rate it will kill PT. But once they're both open it will work.

K Roche 09-17-2021 11:48 AM

I assume so with those ... It works fine with both Studio One and Reason on my system, and as noted you can have both open and just click back and forth on the GUI window to bring it to front , and that is what will play back through the Carbon and your system sound

darkwavo 09-18-2021 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dominicperry (Post 2613693)
Works ok with Logic, but you have less control over routing than you do in PT.

Latency isn't awesome with AVB - USB (at least RME's drivers) and Thunderbolt are both much better than AVB. Playing VI's is workable but I think tracking for singers and drummers is a bit on the edge with Logic. Of course, in PT it's no problem.

Provided you are using the same sample rate, you can leave PT and Logic open at the same time and both use Carbon for playback, at least in my limited testing. If you open a Logic project at the wrong sample rate it will kill PT. But once they're both open it will work.

What about using Carbon with soft synth such as Kontact player ? Is anyone having issues with the latency since these are not DSP plugs in PT or using stand alone with the AVB core audio output… how is the playing / feel / latency vibe ?

Southsidemusic 09-18-2021 06:09 AM

Thanks Guys! You are awesome!

K Roche 09-18-2021 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkwavo (Post 2613951)
What about using Carbon with soft synth such as Kontact player ? Is anyone having issues with the latency since these are not DSP plugs in PT or using stand alone with the AVB core audio output… how is the playing / feel / latency vibe ?

Unfortunately there is no definitive answer

First it depends entirely on what specific work flow situation you are talking about or using and how much native VI processing your going to have running while trying to record

That said First :::
I think the notion at AVB (itself ) introduces any significant noticeable latency compared to TB or USB3 is a bit misleading I have not seen any actual round trip latency figures for Carbons latency But for example MOTU states 1.6 ms for TB and 1.9 for USB
I am guessing that Carbon is may be more, but the real question is how much more ? 2 ms , 3ms 5 ms. and would those even be noticeable for most people ?

I think the real issue with using VI's is the Native processing latency which I am guessing is going to be more effected by your computers speed, than connection protocol

Personally I have had no issues but my in workflow I am usually not running a bunch of native VI and or tons other native FX and then trying to record audio over that .

I usually record from three to six audio tacks first with the DSP (which is where Carbon shines IMO) then I may record a VI or two over that