Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   How to map a send to a plugin instead of just a fader? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=420768)

IzzyTay88 06-30-2022 02:42 PM

How to map a send to a plugin instead of just a fader?

Hello, I'm new here and this is my first post/Test post,
I don't know the correct location to post this question but: How would I go about linking each send fader to a plugin window? (I.e. VERB send would pull up the send fader and D verb when clicked).

Right now, I have to click the send to use the fader but navigate to the aux to click the plugin I want to edit.

I thought this was the normal way but after seeing a Jason Goldberg video from Townsend Labs,

It seems so much quicker and fluid. Does anyone know how this would be done?

Attachment 16064

Ben Jenssen 06-30-2022 04:25 PM

Re: How to map a send to a plugin instead of just a fader?

You can't route a send to a plugin in PT. You can insert the plugin on the track, or make a send to a aux track with the plugin inserted on it. That's how it works.

Added:

Quote:

Originally Posted by IzzyTay88 (Post 2640774)
How would I go about linking each send fader to a plugin window? (I.e. VERB send would pull up the send fader and D verb when clicked).

Ah, I get the idea. Might be messy though. Plugin windows popping up everytime you touch a send.

BScout 06-30-2022 10:13 PM

You can't do this in Pro Tools. You can do this is other DAWs.
In Pro Tools, you can see what is going to the send channel (click the send and then click the bottom arrow on the right and it'll expand to show the output levels of the next in chain) post-fader. That's it.

IzzyTay88 07-01-2022 02:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I understand those things but I might have not phrased things correctly.

Right now, when I click a send send fader pops up, but then I have to scroll down to the aux track or wherever the plugin is to view the plugin itself.

How can I make it to where when I click the send, the fader and the plugin window pop up together.

I added a gif from the video I seen below to explain more what I mean.

{Edit: Didn't think the gif would be so small}

Attachment 16070

huzzam 07-01-2022 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IzzyTay88 (Post 2640885)

Right now, when I click a send send fader pops up, but then I have to scroll down to the aux track or wherever the plugin is to view the plugin itself.

How can I make it to where when I click the send, the fader and the plugin window pop up together.

Attachment 16070

That's not how Pro Tools works, and it's not possible to set it that way afaik.

Sardi 07-01-2022 05:40 PM

Quote:

Attachment 16070

What if you have 10 inserts on that Aux channel? Would you want it to open all 10 inserts when you click on the send?

I guess it’s an interesting idea in theory, but I’m not too sure practically how it would work. If other DAWs do this, I’m curious to see how it’s implemented. As soon as you have more than one insert on your Aux, it would start to get messy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BScout 07-01-2022 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sardi (Post 2640904)
What if you have 10 inserts on that Aux channel? Would you want it to open all 10 inserts when you click on the send?

I guess it’s an interesting idea in theory, but I’m not too sure practically how it would work. If other DAWs do this, I’m curious to see how it’s implemented. As soon as you have more than one insert on your Aux, it would start to get messy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cubase/Nuendo has FX channels (which are auxes but not auxes). But seeing as they are dedicated, it is a simple implementation.

BScout 07-01-2022 05:58 PM

Quote:

Attachment 16070

We understood what you were asking.
We are telling you this is not possible in Pro Tools.

BScout 07-01-2022 06:02 PM

Can't make heads or tails of your gif.
You could give a timecode and a link to the youtube video.

My guess is you are seeing Eucon at work when selecting the aux to auto-open the plugin in slot A (or based on touch from a control surface/tablet app)

But it is not the send to the aux. Because Pro Tools won't do that.

Sardi 07-01-2022 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BScout (Post 2640908)
Cubase/Nuendo has FX channels (which are auxes but not auxes). But seeing as they are dedicated, it is a simple implementation.

I must admit, it's been years since I played with Cubase.

So these FX channels, do they allow multiple inserts? If so, when clicking on the send linking to the FX channel, which plugin opens up? First in the slot or all of them?

If the latter, I'd imagine your screen would get pretty busy with multiple plugin GUIs spread across the display. Can't say I'd be a fan of that personally, but each to their own.