Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Tips & Tricks (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Aphex Vintage Aural Exciter (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=389937)

Augusta Global 03-24-2017 09:39 AM

Aphex Vintage Aural Exciter

Hello,

I have been using the Waves Aphex Vintage Aural Exciter plugin and this thing is just great!

A lot of people seem to run it: EQ -> Exciter -> Comp

Looking for feedback on different ways that people have used this plug.

I just used it on a hot guitar ( Joe Satriani style playing) and it added that something special to the sound. I don't think this is what it was intended for but damn what a great added touch to the sound.

Any stories about ways you have used this plug?

albee1952 03-24-2017 11:06 AM

Re: Aphex Vintage Aural Exciter

Its best to simply try each order and see what happens. My personal preference is to run any "clarity" plugin last so the compressor doesn't undo the intended effect. when I say "clarity" plugin, I'm referring to anything that adds hi-end "air" which would include the aphex, as well as any Pultec model or the Maag EQ's AIR band:o But just because that's how I like to run, doesn't mean its the best method for you:D

Augusta Global 03-24-2017 11:20 AM

Great point. I have it last in the guitar signal path most of the time. Yesterday it went:

Guitar DI into the board --> Waves GTR --> Eddie Kramer Guitar --> Aural Exciter.

I was just super impressed with the sound. I'm still on TDM so the delay was not an issue.

Tony

JFreak 03-25-2017 12:20 AM

You should also try using the exciter FIRST plug in the chain, because as your guitar strings age they tend to lose high end crispness, so if dialled right you could bring them back to life with it -- then use normal processing with your "new strings sound"

Augusta Global 03-25-2017 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2420916)
You should also try using the exciter FIRST plug in the chain, because as your guitar strings age they tend to lose high end crispness, so if dialled right you could bring them back to life with it -- then use normal processing with your "new strings sound"

I'll give it a try and see what I am able to come up with...

Thanks for the feedback.

Tony

Southsidemusic 03-25-2017 07:58 AM

Thanks Augusta for this thread. Love the ideas and have to try this out this weekend :-) The Aural Exciter is a very nice software and worth using much more than we have but as this thread says, the options are making the audio sound cool by using the plugin in various ways so this is a great thread. Keep it going and I will add after trying out some new thoughts tonight.

Shan 03-25-2017 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2420786)
...My personal preference is to run any "clarity" plugin last so the compressor doesn't undo the intended effect. when I say "clarity" plugin, I'm referring to anything that adds hi-end "air" which would include the aphex, as well as any Pultec model or the Maag EQ's AIR band:o But just because that's how I like to run, doesn't mean its the best method for you:D

⇧⇧ Great tip Albee. My own "high end air" workflow is done via parallel processing in most cases. I also create my own "clarity/exciter" plug-in chain and channel for better control of the level and frequency range that I want to augment. I find that dynamic EQs, like TDR NOVA, do this quite well also. Trying the Aural Exciter in a parallel processing configuration on guitar can also elicit some great tones.

Shane

albee1952 03-26-2017 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shan (Post 2421020)
⇧⇧ Great tip Albee. My own "high end air" workflow is done via parallel processing in most cases. I also create my own "clarity/exciter" plug-in chain and channel for better control of the level and frequency range that I want to augment. I find that dynamic EQs, like TDR NOVA, do this quite well also. Trying the Aural Exciter in a parallel processing configuration on guitar can also elicit some great tones.

Shane

Interesting approach, and it reminds me of another(while we are on this subject). If you don't have the Aphex plugin, try this. Add an AUX send to an AUX track. On the AUX track, insert EQ III, enable the hi-pass filter and slide it up to around 3Khz. Follow that with a distortion plugin(AIR Distortion or Sansamp both work) and set for mild overdrive. Bring the AUX fader up slowly to taste. This is a great trick for making something(like a vocal) "pop" when volume doesn't do the trick:o

Augusta Global 03-26-2017 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2421209)
Interesting approach, and it reminds me of another(while we are on this subject). If you don't have the Aphex plugin, try this. Add an AUX send to an AUX track. On the AUX track, insert EQ III, enable the hi-pass filter and slide it up to around 3Khz. Follow that with a distortion plugin(AIR Distortion or Sansamp both work) and set for mild overdrive. Bring the AUX fader up slowly to taste. This is a great trick for making something(like a vocal) "pop" when volume doesn't do the trick:o

I like this! :-)

amagras 03-26-2017 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shan (Post 2421020)

Shane

I made the patch for the free version if someone wants it:

<TDRNova bandSelected_1="Off" bandActive_1="Off" bandGain_1="0.0" bandQ_1="0.71" bandFreq_1="50" bandType_1="Low S" bandDynActive_1="Off" bandDynThreshold_1="0.0" bandDynRatio_1="2.0" bandDynSplit_1="Off" bandDynAttack_1="0.18" bandDynRelease_1="23" bandSelected_2="Off" bandActive_2="Off" bandGain_2="0.0" bandQ_2="1.00" bandFreq_2="500" bandType_2="Bell" bandDynActive_2="Off" bandDynThreshold_2="0.0" bandDynRatio_2="2.0" bandDynSplit_2="Off" bandDynAttack_2="0.18" bandDynRelease_2="23" bandSelected_3="Off" bandActive_3="Off" bandGain_3="0.0" bandQ_3="1.00" bandFreq_3="1500" bandType_3="Bell" bandDynActive_3="Off" bandDynThreshold_3="0.0" bandDynRatio_3="2.0" bandDynSplit_3="Off" bandDynAttack_3="0.18" bandDynRelease_3="23" bandSelected_4="Off" bandActive_4="On" bandGain_4="12.0" bandQ_4="0.80" bandFreq_4="6000" bandType_4="High S" bandDynActive_4="Off" bandDynThreshold_4="0.0" bandDynRatio_4="2.0" bandDynSplit_4="Off" bandDynAttack_4="0.18" bandDynRelease_4="23" hpSelected_master="Off" hpActive_master="On" hpFreq_master="5300" hpType_master="24dB/oct" lpSelected_master="Off" lpActive_master="Off" lpFreq_master="40000" lpType_master="6dB/oct" bandGain_wide="0.0" bandDynActive_wide="On" bandDynThreshold_wide="-35.0" bandDynRatio_wide="10.0" bandDynAttack_wide="0.10" bandDynRelease_wide="10" bypass_master="Off" delta_master="Off" dryMix_master="94.5" gain_master="17.0" eqAutoGainParam="On" qualityParam="Precise" channelsParam="Stereo" analyzerModeParam="Analyzer: Out" sidechainModeParam="INT SC"/>