Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Tips & Tricks (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Matching sampled drums volume to live drums? any automated way to generate automation (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=367784)

Atlanta Bliss 05-11-2015 05:22 AM

Matching sampled drums volume to live drums? any automated way to generate automation

Hi all,

I have a live drum track and have added a sampled kick and snare to the live kick and snare, I did this using the tab to transients and paste commands. Anyway, now my sampled kick and snare are in sync with the live kick and snare but the samples are all the same volume, I’m wondering if anyone can suggest a way to extrapolate the volume level of the live kick/snare and generate automation automatically so the samples will match them, or at least be pretty close. Any suggestions? I’m in Pro Tools 9.x at the moment, but will probably upgrade soon, so if there’s a workflow in PT12 that would be helpful too.
Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated - Thanks!

JFreak 05-11-2015 05:38 AM

Re: Matching sampled drums volume to live drums? any automated way to generate automa

It seems to me that you would want to be using the Trigger plugin by www.slatedigital.com

amagras 05-11-2015 05:49 AM

Re: Matching sampled drums volume to live drums? any automated way to generate automa

This link may help better http://www.stevenslatedrums.com/trigger-ex.php

Atlanta Bliss 05-11-2015 05:49 AM

Thanks for the tip JFreak, I'm checking that out now.

Did you mean I should redo what I already have with Trigger, or that there's some way to just generate automation from it?

thanks again for your advice

Atlanta Bliss 05-11-2015 05:56 AM

Thanks Amagras!

Can I ask, are you using this yourself? Do you use the Slate factory sounds or your own samples?
Could I ask your workflow, if you have a moment to explain? I have general problems at the moment with finding ways to get drums done - both when I have a live drum track I want to add programming to, like in this case, but also when just making beats from scratch using samples etc. So I'm just trying to learn about the different approaches others are taking using PT.

thanks

amagras 05-11-2015 06:11 AM

I don't use any triggers but if your drum has been recorded in a multitrack and you have separate tracks for snare and kick I don't see any reason for not using it. Triggers usually imitate the dynamic of the original instrument so you don't need to worry too much; you can also blend both sounds if the trigger has a mix control or by just duplicating the track and routing both to a Aux send. Just make sure to tune the samples so they have the same harmonics.

Atlanta Bliss 05-11-2015 06:19 AM

Thanks,

I am going to get this plug in .... or maybe the Massey Drum Replacer one (not sure which is better, will investigate) ....... in this instance though I already have the sampled drum tracks and the live ones (they are multitrack) in time so am wondering if there's someway to get the fader of the sampled track to somehow ride so the volume matches the live track - ? I was wondering if maybe Waves Bass Rider plug in might be able to do this? Or there might be some side chaining technique or ??

amagras 05-11-2015 06:21 AM

Sidechain could do it...

Atlanta Bliss 05-11-2015 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amagras (Post 2260635)
Sidechain could do it...

I could sidechain a fader somehow? I'm sure this is possible somehow, just trying to think of a way

amagras 05-11-2015 07:54 AM

I don't think a fader would work like that but you could experiment sidechaining an expander to add some upward compression... I'm not 100% sure, tho