Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Third Party Interfaces (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Latest A/D Recommendation? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=353551)

misterphoneman 04-16-2014 04:00 PM

Latest A/D Recommendation?

I’ve got an HD Accel system that I’m running in my home studio. I recently started renting a grand piano that I have setup in my dining room. I mic’ed up the piano going into my 192 I/O interface and it sounds as good as I could have hoped for. However because the piano is not in close proximity to my workstation, it’s a little inconvenient running between rooms to record when I’m by myself.

It just so happens that I also have a Digi 003 that I’ve had laying around for years and never used it as well as a MacBook Pro that I recently bought for personal use (I have a separate tower for my studio). So I thought why not hook up the Digi 003 and have a recording setup right at the piano? It sounded like a good idea but when I did a test run, the audio quality is substantially less than running through my 192 I/O but I guess I should have seen that coming.

So my question to the group is if there is an alternative A/D out there I can run PT 10.3 on a MacBook Pro that is comparable in sound to a 192 I/O and not too hard on the wallet? Thanks in advance!

VRW 04-18-2014 02:37 PM

Re: Latest A/D Recommendation?

If you are looking for something in a similar price range than the 003 and as you are on Mac
I definitely can recommend the Apogee Quartet (having one myself).
There ainīt anything better sounding up to much higher costs. It doesnīt offer
a lot of features and stuff indeed and only 4 mic pres, but the sound quality is really exceptional.

Me also had a 003R before and I was impressed by the step upwards sound quality-wise.
As it got connected via USB it is easy to use with any computer anyway (neither FW needed nor Thunderbolt).
On the other hand itīs made to record with 64 samples (or less) without any problems.

Finally itīs very straight forward and convenient to use.

You see, I obviously love that piece of gear ;).
Canīt say anything bad about it actually.

All the best to you,

VRW

MacMini i7Quad, 16GB Ram, MBP Mid 2012 2,5GHz i5, 16GB Ram, MacOS 10.9.2, Apogee Quartet+Duet 2, Genelec Active, Yamaha NS10,
Pro Tools 11.1.2, Logic 10.0.6, Waves, MCDSP, Duende Native, Softube, HOFA, IK Multimedia etc

misterphoneman 03-15-2015 06:19 AM

Hey man sorry for the delayed response! I never got an indicator from DUC that anyone replied and I don't come here often so I thought this was a dead-thread. But thanks for the info. I'll definitely check out the Apogee (never heard anything bad about Apogee products). However since I posted this I learned that Waves is now in the interface game as well with their new SoundGrid/DiGiGrid system. The Waves setup is quite intriguing because it's ethernet based and they also have integrated mic pre's so I could literally have one of their boxes at my piano and/or in another part of the house (say I want to convert a bedroom into a vocal booth for example) and all I'd have to do is run a CAT5 cable from their device through (under) the house to my DAW. That is very tantalizing proposition although I haven't heard any feedback on the A/D audio quality.

Plus Waves has already got me roped in since I bought Mercury Native with hopes of upgrading to TDM at some point but they're no longer supporting TDM and instead I 'have' to now invest in the SoundGrid system if I want to offload my plugin processing. The old bait-n-switch LoL

Thanks again!

Craig F 03-15-2015 12:41 PM

I'd use the laptop to control the HD rig with screen sharing
Have you looked at the price tag of the SG/DG system?

bashville 03-15-2015 10:43 PM

Also Neyrinck V-Control, in case you've got an iPad.

https://neyrinck.com/products/v-control-pro/

spooky action at a distance

misterphoneman 03-16-2015 01:50 AM

As far as video monitoring, I actually did the reverse. I ran a long monitor cable from my tower and set up a screen next to the piano and my wireless mouse was still in range so that worked out well. If there's an I/O that can be manipulated from my desktop that would be great. I have contemplated getting a PRE then at least I'd just have the one snake going across the room to my 192 so I haven't ruled that out as of yet but what I'm really hoping for is an I/O A/D combination then I could go digital to my 192 and not have any signal loss.

And yes the Waves HW is pretty pricey but hey, I pray at the alter of St. Ebay, LOL.

Thanks again for all the great tips!

Craig F 03-16-2015 04:15 AM

the PRE is a good utility mic pre but not for what you want
I'd look at a 500 module lunch-box that holds 4 to 8 modules and load with what you want tone wise for pres and compressors then run the line level back to the 192

misterphoneman 03-16-2015 10:53 AM

I hadn't considered a lunchbox option but I'll definitely check it out. Since I originally posted this thread last year, I have contemplated various solutions and now I'm leaning towards looking for an A/D that I can run across the room verses the I/Os. If the A/D had great sounding I/O's even the better. As far as preamps that I'm already leaning towards, I have a couple of FMR RNP's that I love and FMR came out with 500 series versions of their compressors so I'm hoping that a 500 series RNP is around corner.

I'll definitely look into it. Thanks!