Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   macOS (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   GPU cores on MacStudio matter? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=421733)

alberto64 09-23-2022 06:31 AM

GPU cores on MacStudio matter?

Hi there,

Is the GPU cores number important ordering a new Mac Studio Ultra to work with an HDX system? Maybe some plug-in or protools itself is using GPU?

Thank you for your help

thin ice 09-23-2022 08:25 AM

Re: GPU cores on MacStudio matter?

For me, the Mac Studio would be a bit of a waste, as I deal mainly with music and not video. I wish there was a version 24 CPU and 10GPU and then I'd buy.

Personally I am hoping there will be a Mac mini with an M2 Pro chip. "Studio" is a bit misleading in terms of music, as all those GPUs are for video guys.

JFreak 09-23-2022 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thin ice (Post 2647869)
all those GPUs are for video guys.

Unless, of course, Avid comes up with a clever way to offload plugin processing to GPU.

Unlikely though, because maintaining cross compatibility between Mac and Win has been too important lately. To do it with a known quantity (Mac) needs some serious coding, but to do it with a wildcard system (Win) is a whole different ballgame.

DetroitT 09-23-2022 10:37 AM

Mac Studio max base unit with 3-displays (24”-32”2k-24”-1080)
Was almost on par with my MacVideoCards efi Radion 580

Using OWC TB to dual HDMI and built in HDMI FOR THE 2k display.
I would say GPU does matter IMO.
Also largest internal drive!

alberto64 09-25-2022 09:15 AM

Thank you for your advice and yes, a large internal disk it’s a great option!

JFreak 09-25-2022 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thin ice (Post 2647869)
Personally I am hoping there will be a Mac mini with an M2 Pro chip. "Studio" is a bit misleading in terms of music, as all those GPUs are for video guys.

Studio is much much more than GPU. Mini is good for what it is, but it is limited in i/o ports. Even with greatest CPU it would still be crippled. VERY capable though, but you need to be okay with one HDMI, two USB-A and two thunderbolts. Mine is fully loaded (incl. 10gbps ethernet) and love it, but every single i/o is already used so there is nowhere to go when things get heated.

thin ice 09-25-2022 09:58 AM

Agreed on the ports, as I run two screens and have to use one of the Thunderbolts for that. The mini was my cheap entry to Silicon Macs while I decided what to do. I just can't bring myself to spend big on so many GPU cores with the Studio.

If they upgrade the top line Mini chassis with those 4 Thunderbolt ports from Intel to an M2 Pro and 32GB RAM, I'd be more than happy for music use.

Ben Jenssen 09-25-2022 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thin ice (Post 2647991)
Agreed on the ports, as I run two screens and have to use one of the Thunderbolts for that.

Of course you know this, but you don't have to 'waste' a TB port just for a second display. One of my TB ports has a dock with HDMI, ethernet, one TB, and lots of other ports.

Eric Lambert 09-25-2022 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alberto64 (Post 2647865)
Hi there,

Is the GPU cores number important ordering a new Mac Studio Ultra to work with an HDX system? Maybe some plug-in or protools itself is using GPU?

Thank you for your help

In short, no, at least not currently. I went with the first tier Studio Ultra and its video capabilities are insane. PT won't even need a fraction of what the GPUs are capable of.

alberto64 09-25-2022 12:06 PM

Thank you again.