Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools | Carbon (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=161)
-   -   [SOLVED] how to connect TC Clarity M (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=417174)

Southsidemusic 09-25-2021 01:50 AM

[SOLVED] how to connect TC Clarity M

Hey Friends

We have a few TC Clarity M stereo and 5.1 units and I am trying to connect one to the CARBON but have no idea how to or how to configure the connections.

On our Apollo X series we had it on the sp/dif connector but Carbon doesn’t have that so how do I connect the TC Clarity M to the Carbon and do I meed to make any setups in i/o aswe never had to do that on our apollos.

Sorry for all the noob questions lately but we are producers and all our awesome interns who usually does all tech are not allowed here due to covid restrictions.

Thanks a million for a step by step. And please explain like I am a 5 yo ;)

its2loud 09-25-2021 05:53 AM

Re: Q regarding how to connect TC Clarity M

The Clarity M should have a breakout cable and some bnc adapters that you would use to connect to your interface’s AES or SPDIF outputs. The problem is, Carbon does not have either of those outputs. It’s only analog or ADAT.

You could buy an ADAT to AES converter but that’s probably a $1000 investment you were not planning to make.

You might be better off using a software plug-in metering option.

Sorry to be the bearer of not so great news

Southsidemusic 09-25-2021 06:42 AM

Thank you for the info good or bad ;)

So you are saying that without paying like $1000 to make it work for a unit that is like $300 is the only way?

I hoped we could use it via digital in/out or on some other connection as it is a pretty expensive interface … so this is now a doorstop if i dont use it with our apollo’s .. sorry for sounding not polite but thats not meant to be so. I am just in awe that i cant use any of the 5-6 connectors that comes with the TC Clarity in a 4000 dollar interface when i can ise it with a focusrite my neighbour has for 300 dollars!!

So none of the digital or analog connections would work on this expensive interface?

PS. What about Optical port on the Carbon as clarity has that and an USB option with a plugin to work the unit if you cant reqch it is from your sweetspot?

Here is some info from TC:

CLARITY M provides a wealth of digital connectivity. Unbalanced AES3 (coaxial) and S/P DIF are available right out of the box, and optional adapters enable you to connect standard AES/EBU with ease. Additionally, you can use the TOSLink* port for optical input and the USB connection to work seamlessly with your favorite DAW.

Source inputs come in a vast array of options including: USB for hassle-free VST*, Audio Units* and AAX* plug-in metering; 6 channels of unbalanced AES3 digital audio on 75 Ohm BNC connectors for broadcast-grade 5.1 metering; and stereo optical for maximum fl exibility. CLARITY M is fully compliant with all major broadcast standards including ITU BS.1770-4, ATSC A/85, EBU R128, TR-B32 and OP-59, and is recommended for all studio environments.

its2loud 09-25-2021 07:06 AM

Unfortunately the optical on the Carbon is ADAT. The optical into the Clarity is s/pdif. The two are not compatible.

The good news is you can use the Clarity via USB to your host computer and insert the Clarity M plug-in to you DAW of choice and use it that way.

The original post said you wanted to connect it to your Carbon and you’re limited by the choice of outputs the Carbon has vs the physical inputs of the Clarity.

Here’s some info on using the Clarity in Plug-in mode

https://mediadl.musictribe.com/media...Y%20M_M_EN.pdf

Southsidemusic 09-25-2021 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by its2loud (Post 2614553)
Unfortunately the optical on the Carbon is ADAT. The optical into the Clarity is s/pdif. The two are not compatible.

The good news is you can use the Clarity via USB to your host computer and insert the Clarity M plug-in to you DAW of choice and use it that way.

The original post said you wanted to connect it to your Carbon and you’re limited by the choice of outputs the Carbon has vs the physical inputs of the Clarity.

Here’s some info on using the Clarity in Plug-in mode

https://mediadl.musictribe.com/media...Y%20M_M_EN.pdf

Thank you soo much! Yeah I would love to have it connected to Carbon but i will try the usb option and see how that works.

Great info! Thank you soo much :-)

Sardi 09-25-2021 08:44 AM

Q regarding how to connect TC Clarity M

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southsidemusic (Post 2614555)
Thank you soo much! Yeah I would love to have it connected to Carbon but i will try the usb option and see how that works.

Hey Chris.

Didn’t we go through this already in another thread? Pretty sure we all suggested this stuff for you over there as well.

Either way, using the USB input is definitely how you’ll have to integrate it with Carbon due to the Optical limitation.

Unless there’s a specific reason why you want to do it post interface, it should work out fine for you.

I actually think those meters are great, especially for the price. Been wanting to grab one for a while but never seem to get round to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

digiot 11-06-2021 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southsidemusic (Post 2614555)

So now that you can configure the optical output for SPDIF, have you tried to see if the Clarity works !? Had been meaning to pick one up but since it didn’t work before I held off.

JFreak 11-06-2021 08:18 AM

Carbon should be, as per specifications, able to output SPDIF optical which is compatible with TC box. The new user guide of Carbon says that there is a setup window where you can choose whether optical output is ADAT or SPDIF.

What I do not know, because I do not have Carbon (someone please send me), is whether it is PT only or a setting that can benefit other DAW's as well.

dominicperry 11-06-2021 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2618549)
Carbon should be, as per specifications, able to output SPDIF optical which is compatible with TC box. The new user guide of Carbon says that there is a setup window where you can choose whether optical output is ADAT or SPDIF.

What I do not know, because I do not have Carbon (someone please send me), is whether it is PT only or a setting that can benefit other DAW's as well.

S/PDIF from Carbon might work with some equipment but it doesn't work with the RME ADI2 Pro fs. (Another thread here, and a support call logged on this subject).

And if you want a mirrored output (mains + S/PDIF), that has to be within PT - within MacOS (and presumably other DAWs) you get to address the S/PDIF directly, as 2 of the 26 output channels, but the mirroring setup is an internal PT setting which doesn't persist once you've quit PT.

I'm also used to being able to adjust the level of the S/PDIF out on my RME Babyface Pro fs, and you can't do that with the Carbon - it's just a full-scale passthrough.

Dominic

digiot 11-06-2021 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dominicperry (Post 2618552)
S/PDIF from Carbon might work with some equipment but it doesn't work with the RME ADI2 Pro fs. (Another thread here, and a support call logged on this subject).

And if you want a mirrored output (mains + S/PDIF), that has to be within PT - within MacOS (and presumably other DAWs) you get to address the S/PDIF directly, as 2 of the 26 output channels, but the mirroring setup is an internal PT setting which doesn't persist once you've quit PT.

I'm also used to being able to adjust the level of the S/PDIF out on my RME Babyface Pro fs, and you can't do that with the Carbon - it's just a full-scale passthrough.

Dominic

Appreciate the info. Can you clarify if you can send SPDIF to say a Clarity but still able to receive ADAT on the inputs!?

dominicperry 11-06-2021 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digiot (Post 2618558)
Appreciate the info. Can you clarify if you can send SPDIF to say a Clarity but still able to receive ADAT on the inputs!?

From the updated manual:

"Optical In Format (Detected)
Pro Tools | Carbon automatically detects the digital format of the incoming signal on optical ports 1 and 2.(labeled ADAT In 1 and 2 on the back panel). The detected format is displayed for each port: ADAT, S/PDIF, or N/A.

Optical Out Format
Pro Tools | Carbon provides two pairs of optical in and out ports (labeled ADAT Out 1 and 2 on the back panel). The Optical I/O page of the Hardware Setup lets you set the digital format of each output port to either ADAT or Optical S/PDIF. When set to ADAT, each port provides up to 8 channels of digital audio depending on the sample rate. When set to Optical S/PDIF, each port provides up to 2 channels of digital audio up to 96 kHz."

JFreak 11-06-2021 10:55 AM

Yes, but without having a Carbon here, I am interested in this very important detail: IS IT POSSIBLE to output SPDIF optical outside of PT software or is it PT only?

Kyle Splittgerber 11-06-2021 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2618562)
Yes, but without having a Carbon here, I am interested in this very important detail: IS IT POSSIBLE to output SPDIF optical outside of PT software or is it PT only?

Yes, outside of PT as well. PT Hardware Setup just allows you to select which format you want for the optical output ports.

JFreak 11-06-2021 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle Splittgerber (Post 2618564)
Yes, outside of PT as well. PT Hardware Setup just allows you to select which format you want for the optical output ports.

So this works even if you use another DAW?

Kyle Splittgerber 11-06-2021 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2618567)
So this works even if you use another DAW?

Yes.

digiot 11-07-2021 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dominicperry (Post 2618560)
From the updated manual:

"Optical In Format (Detected)
Pro Tools | Carbon automatically detects the digital format of the incoming signal on optical ports 1 and 2.(labeled ADAT In 1 and 2 on the back panel). The detected format is displayed for each port: ADAT, S/PDIF, or N/A.

Optical Out Format
Pro Tools | Carbon provides two pairs of optical in and out ports (labeled ADAT Out 1 and 2 on the back panel). The Optical I/O page of the Hardware Setup lets you set the digital format of each output port to either ADAT or Optical S/PDIF. When set to ADAT, each port provides up to 8 channels of digital audio depending on the sample rate. When set to Optical S/PDIF, each port provides up to 2 channels of digital audio up to 96 kHz."

Thanks for clarifying that’s exciting news! I’m still holding off on the update because of the “connection loss” issues people have been reporting.

Southsidemusic 11-09-2021 07:02 AM

Can anyone do a step by step on using the optical as adat

Been trying to get our two TC Clarity M stereo units working now when the Optical ports on Carbon is supposed to work as adat/spdif and I connected one optican from the TC to Carbon optical port and I dont know where to change the settings in the software and or PTultimate as I cant get the TC to get a connection green light. Been called by support but as time difference seem to be 9 hrs we were in the middle of tracking so my phone wasn’t even on so I really understand why people get green in their face grying to get and help with a 4000 dollar interface and mind you we bought 2 Carbon and with conversion it is about 9700-10.000 USD for both so please can eddie or someone else who knows this help please!? Been helping you (Avid) for 8-9 years so Think I am entitled to 5 minutes of your time?

Southsidemusic 11-09-2021 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle Splittgerber (Post 2618564)

Thanks for all your input but can Kyle or eddie for example show me how to as the page setup in carbon the left 2 boxes says N/A in Carborn page weather i set the right boxes to any of the choices. The 2 left boxes where I presume I should be able to chose adat/aes/spdif says N/A so where am i missing a setting? In PT or Audio-midi setup or where?

Thanks

Removed my older thread as it didn’t work with the old version but should be working now with new Carbon Firmware and PT2021.10

Here is the new post I wrote today and this shouldn’t be sooo difficult!

Been trying to get our two TC Clarity M stereo units working now when the Optical ports on Carbon is supposed to work as adat/spdif and I connected one optican from the TC to Carbon optical port and I dont know where to change the settings in the software and or PTultimate as I cant get the TC to get a connection green light. Been called by support but as time difference seem to be 9 hrs we were in the middle of tracking so my phone wasn’t even on so I really understand why people get green in their face grying to get and help with a 4000 dollar interface and mind you we bought 2 Carbon and with conversion it is about 9700-10.000 USD for both so please can eddie or someone else who knows this help please!? Been helping you (Avid) for 8-9 years so Think I am entitled to 5 minutes of your time?

BScout 11-09-2021 07:42 AM

Re: Can anyone do a step by step on using the optical as adat

TC Clarity M stereo only accepts SPDIF signal (not ADAT)

To change what the Carbon is sending, in Pro Tools, go to Hardware Setup, Optical I/O page.

https://i.imgur.com/qxxhOkY.png

Switch this to S/PDIF

Kyle Splittgerber 11-09-2021 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southsidemusic (Post 2618783)

Check out Page 19 of What’s New guide which has the relevant Optical S/PDIF routing info. Ensure that the ADAT OUT port you’re connecting the optical cable to on Carbon is configured for S/PDIF in Hardware Setup.

What's the Input Mode (2) set to on the Clarity's System page? I'm looking at Page 15 in the guide and looks like you may be able to switch that between AES and S/PDIF. But, I have never used the Clarity device so I don't know how it needs to be configured.

Kyle Splittgerber 11-09-2021 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southsidemusic (Post 2618784)
Thanks for all your input but can Kyle or eddie for example show me how to as the page setup in carbon the left 2 boxes says N/A in Carborn page weather i set the right boxes to any of the choices. The 2 left boxes where I presume I should be able to chose adat/aes/spdif says N/A so where am i missing a setting? In PT or Audio-midi setup or where?

Thanks

Removed my older thread as it didn’t work with the old version but should be working now with new Carbon Firmware and PT2021.10

Here is the new post I wrote today and this shouldn’t be sooo difficult!

Let's discuss this here: https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=417731

dominicperry 11-09-2021 08:53 AM

What may not be clear is that you will need to fire up 2021.10 at least once with the Carbon powered on and selected as your playback engine, to update the firmware, to get the S/PDIF option to appear.

Dominic

Southsidemusic 11-10-2021 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BScout (Post 2618786)
TC Clarity M stereo only accepts SPDIF signal (not ADAT)

To change what the Carbon is sending, in Pro Tools, go to Hardware Setup, Optical I/O page.

https://i.imgur.com/qxxhOkY.png

Switch this to S/PDIF

Thanks Kyle aswell but it says N/A in both the left boxes so can change the right ones but the two left boxes says N/A whatever I set the left ones to (Adat/Spdif)

So what is what might be wrong here?

Southsidemusic 11-10-2021 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dominicperry (Post 2618800)
What may not be clear is that you will need to fire up 2021.10 at least once with the Carbon powered on and selected as your playback engine, to update the firmware, to get the S/PDIF option to appear.

Dominic

Carbons have been restarted and firmware updates been done after installing 2021.10 Thanks :-)

Southsidemusic 11-10-2021 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle Splittgerber (Post 2618792)
Check out Page 19 of What’s New guide which has the relevant Optical S/PDIF routing info. Ensure that the ADAT OUT port you’re connecting the optical cable to on Carbon is configured for S/PDIF in Hardware Setup.

What's the Input Mode (2) set to on the Clarity's System page? I'm looking at Page 15 in the guide and looks like you may be able to switch that between AES and S/PDIF. But, I have never used the Clarity device so I don't know how it needs to be configured.

Thanks but we have the TC M Stereo not surround, however we tried all options there from Discdrive and everything except USB as thats never been used before.

Kyle Splittgerber 11-10-2021 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southsidemusic (Post 2618852)
Thanks Kyle aswell but it says N/A in both the left boxes so can change the right ones but the two left boxes says N/A whatever I set the left ones to (Adat/Spdif)

So what is what might be wrong here?

Left ones are for input and show N/A because you don't have an optical input connected to those ports. If you did, it will instead show the format (ADAT or S/PDIF) being received on that port.

Right ones are for output and require you to select the format you're using for those ports. So, if ADAT OUT 1 is connected to the Clarity, then its format should be set to S/PDIF. If ADAT OUT 2 is connected to the Clarity, then its format should be set to S/PDIF. In Pro Tools, you must then route to either ADAT 1: 1-2 or ADAT 2: 1-2 depending on which port you're using. This is what's explained in the What's New guide where you can mult your MON L-R output to ADAT 1: 1-2 or ADAT 2: 1-2.

As a simple test, do this:
-In Hardware Setup, set ADAT 1 Out port to S/PDIF
-Connect optical cable from ADAT 1 Out port on Carbon to Clarity
-Create a new session at 44.1
-Create a new track with some audio on it and set the track output to ADAT 1: 1-2
-Ensure Clarity is configured to receive S/PDIF input
-Play back in Pro Tools and see if Clarify receives the signal

Kyle Splittgerber 11-10-2021 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southsidemusic (Post 2618854)
Thanks but we have the TC M Stereo not surround, however we tried all options there from Discdrive and everything except USB as thats never been used before.

From what I can tell that guide is also for the stereo version:

"CLARITY M/CLARITY M STEREO
Desktop Audio Meter with 7" High Resolution Display and USB Connection for Plug-In Metering"

https://tcfurlong.com/wp-content/upl...tal-manual.pdf

JFreak 11-10-2021 08:15 AM

Point is the box has previously been working on SPDIF optical, and the trouble is getting Carbon to output that instead of ADAT optical. Am I right, Chris? Using the same cabling as before would be most convenient.

Darryl Ramm 11-10-2021 10:30 AM

Not that this may help but since I've been in situations where simple TOSLINK things don't work for stupid reasons. Let me suggest some stupid tests.

What sample rate are you working at?

Try to quickly debug this with other stuff. If you hook up a S/PDIF in headphone amp to the Carbon output can you hear output?

Don't even have an digital in headphone amp? Try looping back a TOSLINK cable to the Carbon and confirm it sees S/PDIF in from it's S/PDIF out.

Have anything with S/PDIF out, a CD-player anything, using the same TOSLINK cable confirm the meter works to that, yes even if it worked before.

Oh and look in the TOSLINK ports/on cable ends. Yes even if stuff worked elsewhere. The stupid little end caps have a way of ending up jammed in there. From *somebody else* forgetting to remove them.

Does anybody have one of these meter running from a Carbon S/PDIF output?

I would hope the meter reads all flavors of S/PDIF and S/PDIF like signals and that Carbon outputs without copy protect flag and no pre-emphasis... OK nobody would deliberately do that, but I hope it's been checked, and the consumer flag is set correctly for SPDIF over TOSLINK. (This paragraph is more a grumble... I just wish vendors would clarify in documentation exactly what S/PDIF and flags they set/accept/ignore).

dominicperry 11-10-2021 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm (Post 2618888)
Not that this may help but since I've been in situations where simple TOSLINK things don't work for stupid reasons. Let me suggest some stupid tests.

What sample rate are you working at?

Try to quickly debug this with other stuff. If you hook up a S/PDIF in headphone amp to the Carbon output can you hear output?

Don't even have an digital in headphone amp? Try looping back a TOSLINK cable to the Carbon and confirm it sees S/PDIF in from it's S/PDIF out.

Have anything with S/PDIF out, a CD-player anything, using the same TOSLINK cable confirm the meter works to that, yes even if it worked before.

Oh and look in the TOSLINK ports/on cable ends. Yes even if stuff worked elsewhere. The stupid little end caps have a way of ending up jammed in there. From *somebody else* forgetting to remove them.

Does anybody have one of these meter running from a Carbon S/PDIF output?

I would hope the meter reads all flavors of S/PDIF and S/PDIF like signals and that Carbon outputs without copy protect flag and no pre-emphasis... OK nobody would deliberately do that, but I hope it's been checked, and the consumer flag is set correctly for SPDIF over TOSLINK. (This paragraph is more a grumble... I just wish vendors would clarify in documentation exactly what S/PDIF and flags they set/accept/ignore).

Just FYI.
My RME ADI-2 Pro fs says that the S/PDIF is pro level, not consumer. And it also doesn't like it and won't play anything. As detailed in another thread....
https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=417174
oh yeah, the other thread on exactly the same subject...

Southsidemusic 11-10-2021 12:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is what my hardware page in PTl looks like and on the TC it says optical lock in green but no signal.

Opt cableout from TC to IN on opt port 1 and tried port 2 out from Carbon but still nothing. It says N/A Please see setup picture. And same N/A if i put the spdif option on this pic. Someone has to know what I am missing!?

BScout 11-10-2021 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southsidemusic (Post 2618894)
This is what my hardware page in PTl looks like and on the TC it says optical lock in green but no signal.

Opt cableout from TC to IN on opt port 1 and tried port 2 out from Carbon but still nothing. It says N/A Please see setup picture. And same N/A if i put the spdif option on this pic. Someone has to know what I am missing!?

That shows your settings set to ADAT for output. Set that to SPDIF.

And this is real basic, and I've seen it happen before, but are you sure you are connecting out to in and in to out? Do you see the red light coming down the cable (look at an angle not directly) with the other end connected to an output?

Southsidemusic 11-10-2021 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BScout (Post 2618895)

Thanks but I wrote we tried both adat and spdif and it still finds the TC optical on green light but no signal comes thru.

Optical cable red light in both ends.

If i put the spdif on port 1 in Hardware and on the TC Drive and under that option optical it gets a contact via optical light on the TC but no signal. if i put the port 1 on adat it goes red on the tc. And lose the optical green connection optical light on the TC. Whatever we do it still says N/A on the 2 boxes to the left like the picture. Sorry for the crap quality!

Kyle Splittgerber 11-10-2021 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southsidemusic (Post 2618897)
Thanks but I wrote we tried both adat and spdif and it still finds the TC optical on green light but no signal comes thru.

Optical cable red light in both ends.

If i put the spdif on port 1 in Hardware and on the TC Drive and under that option optical it gets a contact via optical light on the TC but no signal. if i put the port 1 on adat it goes red on the tc. And lose the optical green connection optical light on the TC. Whatever we do it still says N/A on the 2 boxes to the left like the picture. Sorry for the crap quality!

Did you try this step for step?

As a simple test, do this:
-In Hardware Setup, set ADAT 1 Out port to S/PDIF
-Connect optical cable from ADAT 1 Out port on Carbon to Clarity Optical In port
-Create a new session at 44.1
-Create a new track with some audio on it and set the track output to ADAT 1: 1-2
-Ensure Clarity is configured to receive S/PDIF input
-Play back in Pro Tools and see if Clarify receives the signal

Southsidemusic 11-10-2021 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BScout (Post 2618895)

And this is real basic, and I've seen it happen before, but are you sure you are connecting out to in and in to out? Do you see the red light coming down the cable (look at an angle not directly) with the other end connected to an output?

The TC only has one Optical Port so cant do in-out out-in as it only reads to signal from the Interface so no need to go anywhere further ((aka out) ;)

Good thought though :-)

Darryl Ramm 11-10-2021 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dominicperry (Post 2618892)
Just FYI.
My RME ADI-2 Pro fs says that the S/PDIF is pro level, not consumer. And it also doesn't like it and won't play anything. As detailed in another thread....
https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=417174
oh yeah, the other thread on exactly the same subject...

I don't understand S/PDIF ever setting pro. Maybe there is a great reason, but I don't understand it. Avid oh why?

I would hope RME accepts pro or consumer with the ADI-2, I mean of all companies to make a AD/DE that should do this with no problem... it's RME. And they even put "Pro" in the name of the box. :eek:

I'd sure hope that is not causing a problem for Chris. That meter better handle consumer flagged streams as well as pro flagged streams.

Southsidemusic 11-10-2021 01:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
All Adat outs are n/a and i hve defaulted in i/o 5 times see pic:

Southsidemusic 11-10-2021 01:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Harware setup

Southsidemusic 11-10-2021 01:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the i/o

And as you see on the above pix all adat out says n/a

Southsidemusic 11-10-2021 01:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And TC Clarity says optical connected green.