Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools | Intro Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   Pro Tools First - not fit for purpose (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=416431)

greatwhitemark 07-30-2021 03:21 PM

Pro Tools First - not fit for purpose

I've seen some DAWs in my time but Pro Tools First is unfit for purpose.

The filing system is whack! Imagine designing a system without the option to 'save as' or create a simple template of your own... or have any kind of folder organisation that may help your workflow.

I don't understand it's purpose, this thing isn't going to help bring fresh blood into the pro tools world. It's convoluted and pointless.

Netmania 07-30-2021 11:46 PM

Re: Pro Tools First - not fit for purpose

Good point :-) On the other hand, since its introduction in 2015 it has become some useful improvements, like unlimited projects local. I work every day with Pro Tools First 2021.6 on my M1 Macbook and for me its an excellent tool for doing songwriting. To be fair - we get it for free, we don‘ t pay one single cent for development, maintenance and get a useful tool for starting Pro Tools world. If you love it use it, if not - don‘t use it.

I like it a lot, because i am not a professional studio or earn big bucks with music. I would not pay 30 Bucks a month to record 10 Tracks as a hobbyist in projects. I can live with the limitations.

Best

greatwhitemark 07-31-2021 02:08 PM

I just need a simple songwriting sketchbook so track count and I/O isn't important. I used to run a windows laptop with Digidesign MBox for this purpose, which is now obsolete, so this is the updated version and considered 'included software' with my new focusrite interface . It's a huge step backwards in usability and functionality!

I don't use it enough to justify a subscription, but there are plenty of other free DAWs I can use..... I just don't see the purpose of having to construct every new project from blank or one of the pre-supplied templates. It's counterproductive to the very notion of creativity.

albee1952 07-31-2021 05:04 PM

PTF is designed as a teaser to get folks to try, and hopefully buy the "real" software. Due to its rather serious limitations, I NEVER suggest PTF(except for someone just wanting to do podcasting or has very modest needs) and instead recommend the free 30-day trial of the full version. Yes, I know that PTF is free, but its a poor introduction to a great DAW. If you need "great", get the demo. If you need "cheap", then I would look at Reaper or Cakewalk by Bandcamp (formerly known as SONAR). Both are very capable and Cakewalk is free:o

greatwhitemark 08-01-2021 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2609353)
PTF is designed as a teaser to get folks to try, and hopefully buy the "real" software. Due to its rather serious limitations, I NEVER suggest PTF(except for someone just wanting to do podcasting or has very modest needs) and instead recommend the free 30-day trial of the full version. Yes, I know that PTF is free, but its a poor introduction to a great DAW. If you need "great", get the demo. If you need "cheap", then I would look at Reaper or Cakewalk by Bandcamp (formerly known as SONAR). Both are very capable and Cakewalk is free:o

I agree and have already installed Cakewalk on my new system. It just means learning to navigate another piece of software when I already know how to operate Pro tools