Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Laptop with HDX (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=414073)

[email protected] 02-13-2021 10:09 AM

Laptop with HDX

Anyone using ProTools HDX card with a Windows 10 laptop using the new Avid HDX / TB3 expansion chassis?
Would love to hear any feedback on trying this.
My current system works great with HD Native. But worry that the HDX card won't work.

albee1952 04-06-2021 04:03 PM

Re: Laptop with HDX

Maybe another question worth asking is whether you actually need HDX:o I suggest this as many folks spend big money to get HDX and never really reap any benefit from the expense. What do you want to do that the current HDN doesn't handle? I ask because I ran a commercial studio in Nashville for several years with an HDN system and tracked 6-7 piece bands all the time:o

danik 04-10-2021 01:37 AM

Running PT 2021.3 HDX with an older Sonnet Echo Express III D TB2 over an TB3->TB2 adapter on HP zBook x360 G5 without problems.
Would expect the same with the newer AVID chassis...

JCBigler 04-10-2021 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2598822)
Maybe another question worth asking is whether you actually need HDX:o I suggest this as many folks spend big money to get HDX and never really reap any benefit from the expense. What do you want to do that the current HDN doesn't handle? I ask because I ran a commercial studio in Nashville for several years with an HDN system and tracked 6-7 piece bands all the time:o

Maybe he wants to track a 100 piece orchestra and needs 65 inputs. :eek:

nsureit 04-13-2021 08:45 PM

I did just that recently with my Dell XPS 15. My problem was that I bought an old (2013) HDX card, and installed it into a new AVID T3 chassis, but it would not update the firmware properly. I did not know anyone locally who could install the old HDX card in their desktop to update the firmware, so I had to send it to AVID for updating. Once I got it back in my AVID external enclosure, it’s functioned flawlessly. I recently installed Ultimate 2021.3 which required another firmware update, and it worked just fine.

I generally mix 28-32 tracks at a time, plus 8-10 aux tracks and a fair number of comp/EQ/delay/gate plugins. Native usually worked fine, but I chose to “upgrade” to HDX because I am now heavily into orchestral instruments and instantiating dozens of strings and wind instruments into my mixes. With many of my preferred AVID plugins now on the HDX card, I can add more virtual instruments, native effects, or extra bus processing and not get too worried about CPU bottleneck. I spent a lot of extra cash, but what the heck. :rolleyes: