Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Avid Pro Mixing General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   MTRX Studio tuning v MTRX SQP card (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=415790)

Goombot 06-19-2021 11:04 AM

MTRX Studio tuning v MTRX SQP card

I'm thinking of upgrading from my MTRX Studio to a full MTRX. I have already gotten a tuning by Dolby for my room. Does anyone know if I can take my entire DADMan profile, including the tuning for my room and just import it and use in on a MTRX? I understand that both the MTRX studio and MTRX use the exact same DADman software but is there any difference between how it might translate between the MTRX Studio tuning software and the MTRX SPQ card?

BScout 06-19-2021 12:33 PM

Re: MTRX Studio tuning v MTRX SQP card

Completely transportable.
The EQ setup is attached to your outputs so when you import the ProMon setup, it all comes along with it (you can reassign the actual output channels if you want/need to afterwards)

Only thing I remember is the SPQ has more filters available (not type but total) than the MTRX Studio to support more/larger output configurations. You get 128 channels and 1024 eq with the SPQ card.

Goombot 06-19-2021 12:51 PM

Ok. Thats what I figured. Thank you.

creativecontrol 06-19-2021 11:07 PM

MTRX has 1024 Filters per SPQ card = up to 64 channels * 16 EQ bands per speaker channel.

MTRX Studio has 256 Filters built in = 16 channels * 16 EQ bands per speaker channel.

You can either simply open the Monitor Profile on another rig or you can use Settings > Monitor Profile > Import from Profile then tick any Output Sets to bring them in to the current profile - which will include all of the attributes including trims, delays, filters and bass management.

best,

Jeff

Goombot 06-20-2021 07:22 AM

Great. Thanks Jeff!

BScout 06-20-2021 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creativecontrol (Post 2604671)
MTRX has 1024 Filters per SPQ card = up to 64 channels * 16 EQ bands per speaker channel.

https://i.imgur.com/NLFBmnE.png

Seeing 128 channels in DADman.

ntp-jl 06-21-2021 02:26 AM

The SPQ card supports 1024 filters on 128 channels, with a maximum of 16 filters pr. channel.

So the calculation can be done as either

1024 filters divided by 16 filters pr. channel = 64 channels.

or

1024 filters divided by 128 channels = 8 filters pr. channel on average

So the effective number of channels supported by the SPQ card depends on the number of filters used.

This is opposed to the MTRX Studio which supports 256 filters on 16 channels (i.e. 16 filters pr. channel), i.e. there is no reduction in channel count if you use 16 filters pr. channel.

In any case, upgrading from MTRX Studio to MTRX provides a massive increase in capability, both on SPQ and interfaces.

JR Fountain 07-15-2021 09:02 AM

Another question related to the MTRX Studio speaker card. My acoustician asked whether there was a 1/3 band octave EQ option? His feeling was that those were much easier to tune with than parametrics. I didn't think there were but thought I'd ask.

Thx!
J.R.

Goombot 07-15-2021 09:49 AM

Sorry no idea. Dolby did my tuning and it wasn’t an issue for them.

BScout 07-15-2021 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JR Fountain (Post 2607868)
Another question related to the MTRX Studio speaker card. My acoustician asked whether there was a 1/3 band octave EQ option? His feeling was that those were much easier to tune with than parametrics. I didn't think there were but thought I'd ask.

Thx!
J.R.

There are not. Shelving EQs and Parametric only.
1/3 oct is 4.318 Q