Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Tips & Tricks (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   OT: go to college or build studio? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=9780)

JEdmunds 05-09-2003 11:31 AM

OT: go to college or build studio?

What would you do?

I can spend my money (approx. $50g's) to finish up 3 more semesters at a top 50 college (that's driving me crazy') or ...
build a studio?

keeping in mind I'm studying music business and want to do a&r/production...

I know what the smartest thing to do is but I need some more advice before i do something stupid!
JE

PTUser NYC 05-09-2003 03:05 PM

Re: OT: go to college or build studio?

Easy. Finish school.

Whatever you buy will be outdated in a few years (or earlier) and the only value is what you can make with it in the meanwhile.

Someday Pro Tools, and everything else will be on a wristwatch. Everyone will have it. The question then (as now) will not be "what do you have" it will be "what do you know?"

What you do with the gear is what matters. Simply having it will not be enough.

An education is worth a LOT more than a pile of audio gear.

Kenny Gioia 05-09-2003 04:23 PM

I would definately not want to be in the studio business these days.

Someone told me a long time ago, it's not the gear. It's you.

Convince people of your abilities and they will pay you way too much money to record where ever you want to.

Studio rate is studio rate.

Producers fees go up based on success and they never hit a ceiling.

Just my .02

jay73 05-09-2003 08:56 PM

I have to totally agree with everyone here...Stay in school. The more you learn the better off you are.

digz 05-10-2003 12:00 AM

J-
If you want to work in the business side of things, finish your 3 semesters and get that degree.
Then get a good paying gig and build your studio later. You dont want to suffer through these hard studio times without some other way to make a living.
If you had just started college, I may have suggested otherwise, but since you have already put so much time and money into it, you may as well finish.
Then aquire gear as you can afford it- a couple pieces at a time, so you can really know how to work it to its full potential.
I've seen alot of people buy thousands of dollars worth of gear at once, only to realize that they made some bad choices in regards to compatability and function.

Hope this helps a little. Dan

woodywho 05-10-2003 12:36 AM

I go w/ digz.....

audiaudio 05-10-2003 04:40 AM

Easy choice.

Finish school.

Guitarman2k2 05-10-2003 09:26 AM

put the money in the bank, go to school using student aid and loans, when you get out use the money to augment your living expenses cause you will never make enough to live your first few years in the music biz as an intern/ assistant. when you have some extra cash, build a studio.

ctmartin 05-10-2003 02:27 PM

Ditto, ditto, ditto.

School.

SoundWrangler 05-10-2003 05:30 PM

3 semesters = 18 months.
SCHOOL!
...you'll have the whole rest of your whole life to piss away $ and energy on music & studios. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]