Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   quick antares auto tune 4 question (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=159307)

sethbrand 02-01-2006 12:45 PM

quick antares auto tune 4 question

When I am installing antares auto tune 4, should I install the direct x installer or the RTAS installer or both? I am running pro tools m-powered 7.0 with an m audio firewire 1814 on my laptop. Thanks,
Seth

lemix 02-01-2006 01:31 PM

Re: quick antares auto tune 4 question

RTAS, unless you have another app, that hosts Direct-X.
good luck,

sethbrand 02-01-2006 08:25 PM

When doing vocals, should I run the vocal track through antares auto tune first before adding any effects such as reverb, eq, compression, etc. How do you guts do it to get a good vocal sound. Also, I am currently recording a terrible singer and have to try my best to fix his off key vocals but when I do, some of the notes seem electronic or phasery. Is there a tip you guys can give me for smooth natural pitch correction? Im sure with a good singer this wouldn't be as much of a problem.

Thanks,
Seth

RobMacki 02-01-2006 08:42 PM

Quote:

When doing vocals, should I run the vocal track through antares auto tune first before adding any effects such as reverb, eq, compression, etc.

Yes. I usually use it on an alt playlist with AudioSuite.
Quote:

How do you guts do it to get a good vocal sound. Also, I am currently recording a terrible singer

....well....how much time do have? I worked with a guy at a music store several years ago who used to tell potential customers they would be better off spending the money on lesions than buying the guitar.

Quote:

and have to try my best to fix his off key vocals but when I do, some of the notes seem electronic or phasery. Is there a tip you guys can give me for smooth natural pitch correction?

futz, futz, and more futz. Graphic mode. Then throw up your hands and insert a chorus with heavy detune.

Quote:

Im sure with a good singer this wouldn't be as much of a problem.

You are absolutely correct.

sethbrand 02-02-2006 09:48 AM

Hey thanks for the awesome tips. Tbe way I use it is...after tracking, I create a new track and name it AT and run the original vocal out to a bus and set the new tracks (AT) input to the same bus I sent the original vocal out to. I fix sections at a time and then record the fixed sections to the new track. Now, the way that I insert auto tune is through the inserts in the mix window, which I know takes up more cpu. But, after I have corrected the vocals and they are recorded to the new track, if I take the inserted auto tune plug in off of the track, it will be as if I hadn't used a plug in, and the vocals will be in tune on the new track correct? I am just trying to save cpu power. Also, I got this method of correcting vocals from another post on this forum, but I dont really know why I have to use buses...I do and it works great, but couldn't I just insert auto tune on a track, fix the vocal and solo the track and record it to the new track, same thing? I dont fully understand buses yet...any help or tips would be great!

Thanks,
Seth

lemix 02-02-2006 09:55 AM

Seth ,
>> run the original vocal out to a bus and set the new tracks (AT) input to the same bus
>> I dont fully understand buses yet...
It looks as you are already using it !
Don't forget your ears...they are the most useful instruments in music production..
keep it up & happy tooling,