Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 9 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Advice for installing PT 9 crossgrade? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=287041)

RobRaden 11-13-2010 04:48 PM

Advice for installing PT 9 crossgrade?

I currently have PT 8.04 on my Mac running OSX 10.6.4. I bought the PT 9 crossgrade box and it'll probably arrive on Monday. I bought an ilok and it just arrived today. What's the best way to go from LE 8 to PT 9? Am I better off uninstalling PT 8.04 first? How do I make sure I've gotten all of it off my Mac? I had bad experiences with my Mbox 2 crashing my Mac, so I'm not even planning on using it with PT 9 (I'll use my Apogee Duet instead).

I really want to make sure I'm starting from scratch with PT to avoid any problems. I'd appreciate any advice you have to offer here. Thanks!

crizdee 11-14-2010 02:14 AM

Re: Advice for installing PT 9 crossgrade?

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobRaden (Post 1702169)
I currently have PT 8.04 on my Mac running OSX 10.6.4. I bought the PT 9 crossgrade box and it'll probably arrive on Monday. I bought an ilok and it just arrived today. What's the best way to go from LE 8 to PT 9? Am I better off uninstalling PT 8.04 first? How do I make sure I've gotten all of it off my Mac? I had bad experiences with my Mbox 2 crashing my Mac, so I'm not even planning on using it with PT 9 (I'll use my Apogee Duet instead).

I really want to make sure I'm starting from scratch with PT to avoid any problems. I'd appreciate any advice you have to offer here. Thanks!

Hi,

There's an uninstaller in the digidesign folder in applications.

You have 2 options "safe" and "clean" clean will be your best option for a new install like this!! also trash all your prefs after the uninstall, you can use this app to trash all prefs...

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=190122

repair disk permissions and reboot the mac before installing PT9

MAKE SURE ALL PLUGINS ARE UP TO DATE AND COMPATIBLE:D

Incompatible plugins are the biggest cause of unreliability and crashing!!

Chris

producerdna 11-14-2010 05:58 AM

I've installed PT9 on all of my computers (Mac Pro, Imac & MB Air) and honestly, either way is fine..
I used upgrade installer on mac pro & imac (from 8.0.4 to 9) and I used full clean install on my MB air and they all run fine..
I love running it on MB Air though.. Its just awesome..

crow 11-14-2010 07:55 AM

The updater works fine - no need to uninstall PT 8

Just make sure your plugins are all the newest versions

I went from 8.0cs3 on Leopard to 9.0 on Snow Leopard using just the updater. Zero problems after updating a few plugs. Waves especially can cause crashes if you don't have the newest versions.

Also, your Mbox 2 should work fine if you install the new drivers.

ricky-lima 01-26-2011 01:50 PM

Hello everyone,

If some one can help me please.

I`m using an Imac 10.6.2 snow leopard and digi 003+, PT 8.

My question is: To crossgrade from PT 8 to PT 9 should I update to 8.0.4 first?

Thank you guys.

sunburst79 01-26-2011 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricky-lima (Post 1742962)
Hello everyone,

If some one can help me please.

I`m using an Imac 10.6.2 snow leopard and digi 003+, PT 8.

My question is: To crossgrade from PT 8 to PT 9 should I update to 8.0.4 first?

Thank you guys.

Shouldn't make a difference since it will want you to uninstal Pro Tools LE before installing PT9. I would double check that your running the latest versions of each and every plug when your done installing PT9. Might want to delete any PT databases first if your still on 8.0.