Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   crash moving mix window while playing (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=259816)

schoen 11-21-2009 02:31 AM

crash moving mix window while playing

hi,

strange thing: i have two screens connected to my MBP. everytime i try to move the mix window on the right screen while playing on the left screen (edit window) PT crashes - no more action possible, not even alt+apple+esc, only chance brutal switch off of the computer.

any ideas?

thanx in advance

schoen

MBP 2,66 / 4 GB RAM / MAC OS 10.5.8 / PT 8.0.1 LE / MBOX 2

schoen 11-25-2009 10:10 AM

Re: crash moving mix window while playing

... any idea?!

schoen 12-09-2009 04:48 AM

... bringing this up again, hoping for help :confused:

tamasdragon 12-09-2009 05:07 AM

Would you mind describing your workflow?

Any troubleshooting steps?

schoen 12-09-2009 01:38 PM

thanks for the reaction! what do you mean with workflow apart from the things i described above?

DigiTechSupt 12-09-2009 03:44 PM

You say you have 2 screens connected - how are they connected, exactly, given that the MBP only has a single DVI output?

schoen 12-10-2009 01:21 AM

the second screen (just for the mixing window) runs via USB and a Kensington Dual Monitor Adapter, no problems til now apart from the one described above

tamasdragon 12-10-2009 02:10 AM

Look after in your log files, what caused the crash. It can be some os related things, which might be resolved with onyx. (free app)
You can access your logs from the system profiler utility.

TD

Dism 12-10-2009 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schoen (Post 1510661)
the second screen (just for the mixing window) runs via USB and a Kensington Dual Monitor Adapter, no problems til now apart from the one described above

I have a feeling this is what's causing your issues. USB video is not very reliable, and shouldn't be run during system critical operation. If you're running either the MBox 2 or the video adapter through a USB hub, this could also be an issue, since NEITHER should be pushed through a hub.

You're better off running video through the cardbus slot, if you're really sold on using the extra monitor. It will be far more stable, and will steal less system resources. A decent video card for the slot will be a bit more expensive, but the difference in performance/stability will be quite noticeable.

DigiTechSupt 12-10-2009 11:11 AM

I'm with Dism on this one - USB for video is probably fine for everyday stuff (email, word processing, etc.), but I wouldn't rely on it for system taxing apps like Pro Tools.