Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 11 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   An error occurred installing Shoe Tool (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=352954)

SteveBoker 03-30-2014 07:54 PM

An error occurred installing Shoe Tool

Was running PT 11 on OS X 10.8.5 earlier tonight.

Rebooted.

Opened PT 11.1.2.214 and got a login prompt saying that ProTools was going to be installing an updated Shoe Tool Helper. Typed my password and press Install Tool.

I next got a panel that says:

"An error occurred installing Shoe Tool. Try running a build with signed components first to get it installed properly."

That's as far as I can get. PT just shuts down once I press OK.

Looked thru Duc. Tried changing the permissions on /Library/Application Support/Avid/Pro Tools/DigiShoeTool to be RW as suggested by someone a couple of years ago. No difference.

Tried setting my security settings to allow unsigned programs. No difference.

I'm at a loss.

Anyone have any ideas?

Craig F 03-30-2014 09:42 PM

Re: An error occurred installing Shoe Tool

could try tossing the Shoe Tool so it fully installs not just overwrite
uninstall/reinstall procedure if that doesn't work

SteveBoker 04-01-2014 05:09 PM

Good suggestions, but no difference.

I removed the shoe tool and got the same behavior.

I next did a full manual uninstall as per http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...uninstall-PT11

Did a full install of 11.1.2.

I stlll get the same behavior.

The only thing I can think of that is different about my machine between when I was running OK and now is that I installed a postgresQL package. Does ProTools 11 use postgresQL?

Since this is apparently a very low probability problem, there must be something about my machine that is triggering it.

Southsidemusic 04-01-2014 05:14 PM

Have you tried trashing preferences and databases and installed PT again after doing so? Also try installing 11.1.1 and see if that installs the digishoetool better. Do the trashing/deleting before any installation of 11.1 or maybe even 11.1 thats a .1 installer.

Here is the trashing steps:

http://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/...s-preferences/

Best Regards
Christopher

SteveBoker 04-02-2014 06:36 AM

Thanks for the suggestion.

Tried trashing prefs/dbs as per the Sweetwater site. No joy. ProTools doesn't even get as far as recreating the preference files.

I next tried running the iLock manager to see what might be up there. But iLock wouldn't come up. So I removed my iLok manager and downloaded a new copy. But it wouldn't install. There is something really wrong with my setup here. Nothing but ProTools and iLok seems to be affected though.

SteveBoker 04-07-2014 05:09 PM

OK. I have figured it out and I thought I'd share the solution for the next person.

Somehow, don't ask me how, several daemons on my machine were marked as inactive by launchctl. These included com.avid.bsd.ShoeTool.plist and com.paceap.eden.licensed.plist, which of course made it impossible to run ProTools. In addition, com.avid.bsd.ShoeTool.plist had been deleted.

The folks at iLok attempted to help me, but were stumped.

I finally tracked down exactly where the error messages occurred when the licenseDaemon tried to load, and that gave me the clue I needed.

To reactivate the iLock daemon I first installed "iLok License Manager.app", which failed. But after the install failed I typed the following in a Terminal window:

sudo /bin/launchctl load -w /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.paceap.eden.licensed.plist

The "-w" argument takes com.paceap.eden.licensed.plist off the deactivated list.

Now I uninstalled the iLok License Manager and reinstalled it. This time, it installed correctly. I was able to launch the license manager and sign in.

Next, I removed ProTools.app and re-installed it. However, this did not install /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.avid.bsd.ShoeTool.plist. Without that, I couldn't reactivate it. So I copied it from the installation on my laptop and changed its ownership and group to be correct (very important for security!).

sudo chown root /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.avid.bsd.ShoeTool.plist
sudo chgrp wheel /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.avid.bsd.ShoeTool.plist

Now I could reactivate com.avid.bsd.ShoeTool.plist by typing:

sudo launchctl load -w /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.avid.bsd.ShoeTool.plist

Now, when I launched ProTools it was able install Shoe Tool and I am now up and running again.

Hopefully this documentation helps some other poor soul. My studio has been down for 6 days trying to debug this.

Ash06 05-18-2014 01:30 PM

Having the same issue here, tried your suggestions as well as Avid's in the knowledge base, but no joy! Any further ideas how to debug and where to locate/install DigiShoe and ShoeTool files again in /Library/Privileged Helper Tools/ ... I deleted them as per Avid KB steps.

Thanks!

tarizzo 12-02-2014 09:50 AM

SteveBoker, thanks a lot! I'm now having this problem! The thing is that I don't have the com.avid.bsd.ShoeTool.plist, but mine is "com.avid.bsd.shoe.plist"
Are they the same??
And the folder is not called Launch Daemons, but Launch Services.
After removing the PT app, how you reinstalled it? Inserting the dvd etc etc?
I tried to write at the terminal that things to reactivate the plist, and after writing ".../Library/LaunchDaemons/com.avid.bsd.shoe.plist" it says it's already loaded....
What now???

daeron80 04-23-2015 02:32 PM

I'm in the same boat. Tried everything suggested in this thread. I still get the error when I try to launch PT 11.3. I had 11.2 running fine on a mid 2010 Mac Pro running Mountain Lion. I used Migration Assistant to move to a new rubbish bin Mac Pro running Yosemite. Everything works brilliantly except Pro Tools. iLok Manager, RX4 - even Bias Peak, which hasn't been supported in years, installed and is working fine. PT won't even get out of bed. :mad: Why the living heck does a DAW needs shoes?! :confused:

Top Jimmy 04-23-2015 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daeron80 (Post 2256484)
I used Migration Assistant...

This is not supported with Pro Tools.