Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Overclocking my p4 1.6ghz (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=75446)

Karma Eng. 07-05-2003 08:13 AM

Overclocking my p4 1.6ghz

Ok, first of all let me say I have no idea about processors so if this is a really bad idea please tell me. I'd like to overclock my processor but I can't figure out how, I tried going into bios and looking for "jumperfree" settings but i couldn't find it. How can I overclock? my system is as follows :Intel P4 1.8ghz system with 512mb of DDR Ram, 845 chipset, running xp pro.

Thanks
-Kevin

JPS 07-05-2003 10:35 AM

Re: Overclocking my p4 1.6ghz

Intel has never been one to let their CPU's be overclocked. Starting with the PIII chips the CPU multiplier was locked. However, with the popularity of overclocking on the AMD chips, Intel built some "modest" overclocking abilities into the newest 875 chipset, which will allow an increase of the FSB (front-side-bus) IF the motherboard and BIOS support the feature. Asus did support this feature in their P4C800 motherboard. I am not familiar with any of the other boards, nor do I know if Intel supports this feature in their own 875 motherboards. So, since you have a 845 chipset, this feature is not even available to you.

Of course, Digi does not support or recommend overclocking, since it can lead to instability. And recording audio has enough of its own problems without adding CPU/FSB instability. But it is an interesting feature that could come in handy occasionally if your motherboard/chipset/BIOS support it.

Joshua Lopatin 07-05-2003 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by JPS:
Intel has never been one to let their CPU's be overclocked. Starting with the PIII chips the CPU multiplier was locked. However, with the popularity of overclocking on the AMD chips, Intel built some "modest" overclocking abilities into the newest 875 chipset, which will allow an increase of the FSB (front-side-bus) IF the motherboard and BIOS support the feature. Asus did support this feature in their P4C800 motherboard. I am not familiar with any of the other boards, nor do I know if Intel supports this feature in their own 875 motherboards. So, since you have a 845 chipset, this feature is not even available to you.

Of course, Digi does not support or recommend overclocking, since it can lead to instability. And recording audio has enough of its own problems without adding CPU/FSB instability. But it is an interesting feature that could come in handy occasionally if your motherboard/chipset/BIOS support it.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">this is not true at all... I run an intel 845 chipset with a p4 2.26, and I can change my FSB and voltage settings. In addition, there are settings for Dram timing, agp and pci voltage, etc... Pick up a copy of the July issue of Maximum PC magazine... they have a good article that will explain how to do it. But be careful. I don't recommend it unless you are a "pro" user.

-j

JPS 07-06-2003 12:37 AM

Hey Joshua, it sounds like you know a lot more about this than me. I guess, what I should have said is that the feature Karma was looking for,"automatic overclocking," was not available on the 845. So, Karma, do what Joshua says! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]