Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2018 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=157)
-   -   How to install 2 versions of Protools (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=399881)

Wawili_Sound 06-20-2018 08:29 PM

How to install 2 versions of Protools

Hi I have ultimate but need to install protools 10 which I have however upon launching a info applet opens up stating " error, missing iLok authorisation for Protools 10. Please insert the necessary iLok and restart Protools.

Does anyone have any ideas??? is it the new ilok, or is it the cloud synchronisation thing which I don't understand. How do you close your cloud session and what is it. I want to deactivate protools in ilok manager and try install the licenses on the p.c see if Prootools 10 can then see the license??

Thanks

jeffro 06-20-2018 08:38 PM

Re: How to install 2 versions of Protools

Launch iLok License Manager and sign in, then go to File > Close Cloud Session. If your Pro Tools license bundle was activated in your iLok Cloud Session then it won't be available for activation to an iLok USB key which is where it needs to be for PT10.

Wawili_Sound 06-20-2018 09:18 PM

Hi

Thanks, I right click on the cloud sync icon in the left pane in ilok manager and shut down the cloud sync and moved the license all good. Still not sure what the purpose of cloud sync is bit annoying.

musicman691 06-21-2018 03:39 AM

Also consider that PT10 is not considered compatible with anything above Win7 according to Avid.

Drew Mazurek 06-21-2018 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wawili_Sound (Post 2492121)
Still not sure what the purpose of cloud sync is bit annoying.

Allows you to run PT without a physical iLok being plugged in.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/faq/iLok-Cloud-FAQ

albee1952 06-21-2018 09:02 AM

Start by looking at your iLok account and seeing exactly what license you have for Pro Tools. Recently purchased may ONLY be for PT 2018.x(which will NOT allow for PT 10.x), while older license that have been upgraded can show as a bundle for 10/11/12(which will allow for running PT10, 11, 12 etc).

Re the cloud licensing option, be aware that it requires a rock-solid internet connection. I know users that are cool with that. For myself, I'll stick with the physical iLok:o

Drew Mazurek 06-21-2018 09:55 AM

Also, FYI, on the Mac only, you can install as many versions of PT as you like all at once.

Simply rename the app before running the installer for the new version.

musicman691 06-21-2018 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek (Post 2492157)
Also, FYI, on the Mac only, you can install as many versions of PT as you like all at once.

Simply rename the app before running the installer for the new version.

Agreed. Not done it for PT but for Digital Performer I have 3 different versions.

justDoug 03-28-2019 09:43 AM

On the topic of multiple installs, I run a multiple-boot setup on my machines; each instance of an operating system 'optimized' for each of my applications. Rock solid for more than a decade...

JFreak 03-28-2019 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justDoug (Post 2520480)
On the topic of multiple installs, I run a multiple-boot setup on my machines; each instance of an operating system 'optimized' for each of my applications. Rock solid for more than a decade...

Of course, but it's a lot harder way compared to renaming PT app and installing new one -- assuming everything else is compatible