Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Opinions re: Dual "Startup Disks" or "Extension Sets"? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=40208)

accession 06-28-2001 12:20 AM

Opinions re: Dual "Startup Disks" or "Extension Sets"?

Hi all,

What methods are you using to manage the Mac's role between a dedicated DAW, and the Internet and other such luxuries?

Do you have a single Startup Disk/System Folder (and wait until the computer has fully booted up, then open the Extensions Manager and restart with your required set of extensions)?

Or, do you have a dedicated hard drive partition containing another System Folder (with minimum Digi extensions) and Pro Tools?

I've been using the first method but it seems a pain to wait until the wrong extensions for the task have loaded before I can restart with the correct set.

A multiple startup disk scenario, where you can hold down [alt/option] on the initial boot and select the ProTools/System drive you wish to load up seems to be a better, almost cleaner method.

What are you all doing? Any special tricks or things to watch out for?

Cheers,

Phil [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Chompers 06-28-2001 11:59 PM

Re: Opinions re: Dual "Startup Disks" or "Extension Sets"?

I used to have seperate paritions on seperate drives withe seperate names and seperate objectives.
Now I use one set up for everything. The Pro tools doesnt seem to mind any of other mac duties. I go online line all the time during pro tools conversions and during pauses in the creative flow. All with out even quitting pro tools. And that is usually synced to Reason. It is truly a an ELEGANT system I git going.

aka21stCentury 06-29-2001 08:45 AM

I agree. However, don't use IE. Use Netscape.

ALl you need to go online is OpenTransport and Remote Access.

Then all your Digi/Opcode stuff.

BUT- if you want Fireworks, Dreamweaver, etc. Simply hold down 'space' bar while your mac boots- and you can change Extensions sets in midsteam.

Doc 06-29-2001 09:29 AM

It may use more disk space, but I have three partitions set up, one with OS 9.04 and PT 5.1 (downloaded 5.1.1 but not installed yet, mid project and don't need any surprises), one with OS 9.1 and Final Cut Pro 2 and another with OS 9.1 which I use for testing other apps and peripherals.
I used to have all these on one partition but started having problems with ProTools and FCP crashing. Since using the partition method, all is back to rock solid.
I also have Photoshop 5.5 and this is installed on the FCP partition but runs from any startup disk.
My system is Mac G4 400 AGP single processor.

billbo 06-29-2001 09:38 AM

Here, take a look at this-> http://www.logicuser.net/extensions/browse.php3

Sugarite 06-29-2001 10:56 PM

If I'm doing light-duty stuff I can get away with my relatively trim standard extension set, yap on IRC and boards like these, though I don't risk any java in IE5.

For serious work I reboot into a completely trimmed set, with even the sound control panel disabled (be sure to set normal output to built-in before rebooting, also lets you disable contextual menus). I see no reason for a dedicated ProTools boot disk.

I've figured out something to help me do all my changes before rebooting into my PT config. I've made an applescript that brings up all the control panels that need changes, with the extension manager coming up first so it's at the bottom of the pile, and used last. It helps speed things along and makes it near impossible to forget a setting and having to reboot etc.

To make your own, use the applescript editor, hit the record button, open the control panels (I open Ext Manager, Memory, Appearance, and Sound in that order), then hit stop. Save the script as an application without startup screen, and place on desktop or in apple menu for quick access.

If you disable the Sound cp you might want to make a different one for setting your config back to standard mode, since the script will get an error when it can't find the Sound cp.