Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Pro tools le 8.0.3 crashes during playback or recording (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=271541)

darksun production 04-12-2010 09:03 AM

Pro tools le 8.0.3 crashes during playback or recording

every time I load up a session into protools 8.0.3 cs2. session will load up fine. but as soon as I hit play or record something pro tools just gets hung up and I get the pinwheel of death. I have done all the optimizations that avid suggest and I have even uninstalled pro tools 8 and done a safe install and a clean install can somebody please help me get this thing running correctly. also I'm using a iomega mini max hard drive incase that helps(I have been using the hard drive with protools le 7.3.1 which hasn't given me any trouble since I started using it.) please any suggestions that I'm over looking.

DigiTechSupt 04-12-2010 09:22 AM

Re: Pro tools le 8.0.3 crashes during playback or recording

We're going to need a bit more info to help you.

The Help Us Help You thread link below my signature goes into detail about what we need from you to assist you properly.

darksun production 04-12-2010 10:04 AM

ok , so here is some additional info. I have a mac mini intel core duo 2.26, 2 ghz of ram, I'm using a mbox 2 for my interface. my os is snow leopard 10.6.2
, I'm running pro tools le 8.0.3cs2, my external hard drive is a Iomega mini max 500 gb firewire400 hard drive 7200 rpm.im also using a 800/400 adapter.
As previously stated. I have done all of the optimization that avid suggested expect for trashing some the databases. which I will try in minute. Again the problem seems to be that when I load up a (7.3.1cs8) session it will load correctly. once I hit the spacebar or click the play button in the transport it doesn't do anything or if I try and record a new session I will get hung while recording . It will simply stay idle and I get get the pinwheel of death.so I will then force quit and restart my computer,but then the computer will hang up on the restart.
thanks in advance.
Also here is a listing of some of the optimizations I have done.

turned off airport
turned off energy saver
turned off put drive to sleep when possible
turned off bluetooth
turned off firewire networking
got rid of additional startup items
removed additional usb hub
disabled filevault
disabled spotlight indexing
updated pace drivers

eight16 04-15-2010 10:14 PM

Dont worry...the problem wont go away...mines been messed up for 2 months now

whoisthisguy 04-16-2010 03:07 AM

same problem

i downloaded 10/6/3 update been told that has something to do with it

Mothlight 04-16-2010 03:09 AM

ive got 20 tracks and 6 plugins, with 10.6.2 and 8.0.3, and can't go a minute without it fritzing out, losing communication with my clock, giving errors such as h/w buffer (set to max [and every other thinkable combo] on a 2.33 macbook pro with 4gb ram), and Harddrive Underflow (whatever the hell that is)- and being an overall terror. I would be embarrassed to use this rig with a client. I'm at a dead stand still until this stuff gets ironed out. :mad:

darksun production 04-16-2010 01:14 PM

so far what I've found out is that my external harddrive can't keep up with pro tools le (which is weird btw it works fine with logic 8 express and protools le which is on my imac g5) I've taken one of my heavier sessions off of my external hard drive and put it on the system drive and it works fine with all my plugins and all. So at this point Im looking to get a faster external hard drive cause that seems to be my problem. I hope that might help anybody else in this
crappy situation.

DigiTechSupt 04-16-2010 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darksun production (Post 1593276)
so far what I've found out is that my external harddrive can't keep up with pro tools le (which is weird btw it works fine with logic 8 express and protools le which is on my imac g5) I've taken one of my heavier sessions off of my external hard drive and put it on the system drive and it works fine with all my plugins and all. So at this point Im looking to get a faster external hard drive cause that seems to be my problem. I hope that might help anybody else in this
crappy situation.

I think the Iomega doesn't use a compatible bridge chip - from what I can see it's using either a JMicron or a Prolific. Pro Tools is only qualified with drives that have an Oxford chipset.

One other question - are you using the drive with it's factory format? If so - that could be the culprit. Always erase a new drive using the OS X Disk Utility before using it.

DigiTechSupt 04-16-2010 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eight16 (Post 1592852)
Dont worry...the problem wont go away...mines been messed up for 2 months now

If you can help us with some info on your system, we may be able to help you with the problems you're experiencing.

DigiTechSupt 04-16-2010 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mothlight (Post 1592938)
ive got 20 tracks and 6 plugins, with 10.6.2 and 8.0.3, and can't go a minute without it fritzing out, losing communication with my clock, giving errors such as h/w buffer (set to max [and every other thinkable combo] on a 2.33 macbook pro with 4gb ram), and Harddrive Underflow (whatever the hell that is)- and being an overall terror. I would be embarrassed to use this rig with a client. I'm at a dead stand still until this stuff gets ironed out. :mad:

The same goes for you as well - without all the necessary info, we're shooting in the dark.