Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 9 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Pro Tools 9.0 "Updater" or "Full Installer"? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=290483)

jacknprewitt 12-23-2010 08:40 AM

Pro Tools 9.0 "Updater" or "Full Installer"?

Hi all!

I was successful in registering my ilok and also registering my LE8-to-PT9 Crossgrade on Avid's website. There are two choices for downloading Pro Tools 9---"Updater" and "Full Installer"?

What's the difference between the two downlad versions and why would I want---or be entitled to---one versus the other?

Jack Prewitt
Rochester, NY

mix109 12-23-2010 08:52 AM

Re: Pro Tools 9.0 "Updater" or "Full Installer"?

Hi Jack,
The Full Installer option inlcudes the Digidesign Creative Collection Folder(Xpand2,Mini Grand,Boom,Structure Free which sizes apx 2.8GB)
Therefore the size difference 4210.78(Full) versus 1815.03(Updater)__For MacOSX
Perhaps it is safer to do an uninstall of 8 and do the Full Install.

Elogical4now 12-23-2010 09:25 AM

I installed the Updater. I already had PT LE 8 installed. The update went smooth as butter and I haven't had any problems.

However, Judging from what I've read lots of people elect to do a complete uninstall, then do the full install of 9.

Obsidian Dragon 12-23-2010 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elogical4now (Post 1725515)
I installed the Updater. I already had PT LE 8 installed. The update went smooth as butter and I haven't had any problems.

However, Judging from what I've read lots of people elect to do a complete uninstall, then do the full install of 9.

+1. Same experience here.

Park Seward 12-23-2010 10:38 AM

As a general rule, I'd do an install over an update. Digi does recommend a full install with PT9.

I did an uninstall and then an install and everything work out well.

Digi also recommends installing the hardware drivers first.

And after installation, search and destroy any incompatible plugs.

formfunction 12-23-2010 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Park Seward (Post 1725546)

Now that is best advice to be had!!! It may take a few minutes, but well worth the time. ff

Eric Lambert 12-23-2010 09:39 PM

One update and one complete install (a new computer) - both work equally well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Park Seward (Post 1725546)

Why do we still not have an app, or a function within ProTools, which does this automatically, at least a function informing us when a plugin is out-of-date.

Each plugin manufacturer registers their updates via Avid (using their simple web interface), and ProTools communicates with this database (when asked to) and finds mismatches within your plugin folder. An auto-updater which downloads the appropriate version would be keen (a la Version Tracker), but a simple heads-up would be great.

If the manufacturers couldn't be responsible enough to keep the database up-to-date on their own, it would only entail a couple hours of work each week by a guy sitting at a laptop searching the web. Yeah, that's what assistant engineers are supposed to do, but do they?

This would be pretty simple folks. Let's go!

DetroitT 12-24-2010 08:47 AM

As far as Avid plug-ins I did see a not-compatible plugin pop-up for one BF and older dynamic II. They were auto-moved out of the Plug-in folder.