Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Switching from PC to Mac (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=265672)

trickdem 01-30-2010 02:21 PM

Switching from PC to Mac

Can anyone help guide me to this switch. How do i even begin. My version of Protools that I bought and have hard copy for is LE 7.4 Not sure if I need to load that in because the new Mac I have is not running Tiger it has Leopard 10.6.2 Since 7.4 have been upgraded to 8 but do not have the download for Mac only for Windows and answers on where I could find the Mac download?

taperocket 01-30-2010 04:19 PM

Re: Switching from PC to Mac

First of all congrats on the switch from PC to Mac. I made the switch about 6 years ago and never looked back! You will need 8.0.3 to run on Snow Leopard 10.6.2. Many people are reporting bugs with 8.0.3 so personally I am waiting for a few more cs updates to resolve all the issues before I install pro tools on my new Imac. The download files for both Mac and PC should be accessible from your Digidesign products page as long as you bought and registered 8.0.

trickdem 01-30-2010 04:25 PM

Thanks I'm pretty sure I found it But your right I was having problems myself with 8.0.3 on windows XP so I ended up rolling back to 8.0.1 no problems I hope they get this fix really need to Work THANKS Again

Stixxs 01-30-2010 04:36 PM

Just did the switch here Snow Leopard worked great w/ 8.0.1...So far so good love the Mac layout very slick. Can you tell how you did the roll back to 8.0.1? Having problems too w/ 8.0.3. :confused:

001tony 01-30-2010 06:12 PM

Freind of mine wants to run PC software on a Mac (he gets soon.)

Q. is it an emulation of windows running on Mac operating system or are they able to run Windows now?

As you can guess I know next to nothing about Macs.

Fretburner 01-31-2010 08:42 AM

Re: Switching from PC to Mac (EXTERNAL DRIVE?)

I just purchased an iMac and LOVE it so far. I don't know why I didn't make the switch sooner. :confused:

Can anyone tell me which external hard drive would work with my iMac? It has a 800 Firewire port and I was thinking of getting the WD My Studio 1TB drive. Any suggestions would be a big help.

I know Digi recommends the Oxford 912 or 924 chipset but I can't find if the WD has this or not. It's not listed in the specs on there website.

taperocket 01-31-2010 08:46 AM

I've always used glyph drives and they are very stable but I did have one die on me unusually quick once.

flommer 01-31-2010 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 001tony (Post 1544566)

Q. is it an emulation of windows running on Mac operating system or are they able to run Windows now?

2 Options:

Virtualization of windoze via a program like Parallels, which allows you to run windoze as a "windowed" application while you are booted into OS X

or

Bootcamp, free from Apple, which creates a partition and installs the correct drivers for Mac hardware allowing windoze to be installed and run natively. You simply boot into the windoze partition and the Mac is now a PC.

Both options require that you own a copy of windoze.

Some programs, ProTools included, will not work under virtualization but everything should work when booted in under bootcamp.

CME 01-31-2010 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 001tony (Post 1544566)

Yes you can run windows on a mac. You can dual boot via Bootcamp which is, I believe, included with osx 10.6. Or you can run it as a virtual machine with something like VMWare's fusion program. Boot camp it self is free but you can't run both os's simultaneously. Something like fusion, which I have, allows you to run mac and windows apps side by side but you take a performance hit as you're running 2 os's. Both however do not include windows. You'll have to purchase that seperately.

001tony 01-31-2010 11:50 AM

Now that is very clever and very good to know, thank you for the cool info. :cool: