Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools M-Powered (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   How to get rid of the split edit window with midi? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=255786)

Sherbert99 09-30-2009 08:45 PM

How to get rid of the split edit window with midi?

Once in a while I accidently hit something that splits my edit screen and puts a midi window on the bottom half of my "edit window". How do I hide it?

It is a horrible design because it doesn't have a close button on it and it has no name so I can't find it in the manual. It's not in the window drop down either. It lists the tracks on the left and has the midi in it only.

Any help would be appreciated on how to close this.

After an hour of trying to figure out how to close this stupid window I punched my computer but that didn't help.

Thanks

Avid 09-30-2009 08:55 PM

Re: How to get rid of the split edit window with midi?

See the "What's New in LE and MP 8.0.pdf", which should be in your Documentation folder for Pro Tools. Short answer is this in Chapter 4:
Quote:

MIDI Editor in the Edit Window
You can also choose to show (or hide) a MIDI Editor pane at the bottom of the Edit window (below the Tracks pane).

To show (or hide) the MIDI Editor view in the Edit window, do one of the following:
  • Select (or deselect) View > Other Displays > MIDI Editor.
  • Click the MIDI Editor Show/Hide icon in the lower left corner of the Tracks pane in the Edit window.
  • Double-click the divider below the Tracks pane in the Edit window.
  • From the Edit Window menu, select (or deselect) MIDI Editor.

Sherbert99 09-30-2009 09:22 PM

Awsome! Thanks for the quick reply.

That was driving me nuts. I got it now.

TOM@METRO 10-01-2009 10:31 AM

Yea, this threw a few of us for a minute on the first day.

thedavedave 10-24-2013 03:45 PM

I also accidentally got this problem of the midi window getting put within the edit window.

Now when I double click a midi track the midi window keeps opening within the edit window. It used to open as a separate window, which I liked because it gave more space for viewing and editing.

How can I get the midi window to open as a separate window and not docked within the edit window?

Thanks in advance

Noemie 07-19-2021 05:42 AM

I also would love to get an answer to this question...

I often double click on midi regions by mistake to rename them and this editor opens and it's all a workaround to get it closed.

albee1952 10-25-2021 03:34 PM

To open the Midi editor as a floating window, open it from the Window menu. Once done that way, it SHOULD open the same in the future when you double-click on Midi clips. Re doing that by mistake....stop doing that:D

Noemie 10-30-2021 02:21 AM

I've finally found the answer :

In preferences >> MIDI >> "Double-clicking a MIDI clip opens:" >> select "Name dialog"

It is so simple I wonder how I've struggled so far...

Ray Lyon 05-09-2022 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noemie (Post 2617617)
I've finally found the answer :

In preferences >> MIDI >> "Double-clicking a MIDI clip opens:" >> select "Name dialog"

It is so simple I wonder how I've struggled so far...

I have struggled and no longer will struggle... thank you.

thephog89 08-15-2022 10:47 AM

PRAISE FRIGGIN BE, good sir. I trashed PT Prefs, got this docked annoyance up in my grill all day. You deserve a digital pat on the digital back