Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   MIDI (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Midi chaos (playing notes on its own) (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=245741)

Ryan Young 05-09-2009 02:11 AM

Midi chaos (playing notes on its own)

Hi all,

I tried searching the forum but I didn't even know what words to search with. I have been trying to play simple midi on an instrument track through xpand2. I took off Xpand2 and tried Structure, same situation. Every other second it'll start playing some low-register 16th note jumble of a mess. It'll sometimes stop once I hit play, but most of the time it only starts once I hit play. I don't know what the deal is. I'm on the most recent version of Pro Tools 8 on a 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM and on OSX 10.5.6.

Has anyone ever experienced this? I could post a video if it doesn't make sense. Thank you.

-Ryan

musicalavtech 05-09-2009 07:18 AM

Re: Midi chaos (playing notes on its own)

I've not experienced this, but after you go through the digi steps for troubleshooting (at the top of this forum), then try to recreate this in a new session. It may be just as simple as needing to trash the preferences.

Ryan Young 05-09-2009 02:13 PM

Hi, thank you for the pointer. I went ahead and went through all of those steps, deleted preferences, deleted digi databases, repaired my permissions, repaired the disk, rebooted. I created a new session, put up a stereo instrument track... same issue. Here's a video of what's happening, so it's easier to understand.

Note: Key your eye on the counter. I have no midi controller or keyboard hooked up. Forgot to mention Pro Tools 8 LE and 003 rack, if that makes any difference. Same thing with or without the Command 8 hooked up.

Click here for the video.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-Ryan

Ryan Young 05-10-2009 10:18 PM

Digi? Bueller?

-BUMP-

filosofem 05-11-2009 12:22 AM

Whilst you are waiting for an informed answer, try a complete reinstall.

filosofem

Ryan Young 05-12-2009 01:19 AM

Well... spent a couple hours uninstalling, downloading and re-installing. Created a brand new session, created a stereo instrument track, put xpand2... same exact situation.

Here's another video, but it's just the same thing

I can't help but laugh cause it's such a stupid thing to happen. Yet, it's really frustrating not being able to work with instrument tracks. Thank you for the tips so far. Any other tips?

DigiTechSupt 05-12-2009 10:01 AM

Your movie isn't very helpful (sorry) - it would be nice to see your Inserts, Sends, IO and Instrument section for the track.

Which MIDI controller are you using? Any chance there's a MIDI feedback loop happening?

Also, try this:

Go to MacHD>Users>your account>Library>Preferences>By Host and trash 'com.apple.midi.a bunch of numbers and letters.plist'.

Go to MacHD>Users>your account>Library>Preferences and trash 'com.apple.audio.audiomidisetup.plist'.

Empty the trash and restart, then see if everything is working.

Ryan Young 05-12-2009 10:57 AM

Hi, thank you for the help. I did as described above, but I'm having the same issue.

There are no sends in this session and the only insert is xpand2. There is only 1 instrument track in the entire session. I do not have a MIDI controller (keyboard) hooked up but I use a Command 8. The problem happens with or without the Command 8 hooked up. I did use an M-Audio Keystation 49e about a month ago. That was my first time using any controller or an instrument track since I've had Pro Tools 8, and the problem started right away.

Here are some pictures that might help:

Edit & Mix Window with Audio Midi Setup
Note: There are no sends, only 1 track, only 1 insert

IO Setup
IO: Input

IO: Output

IO: Insert

IO: Bus

Peripherals
Peripherals

I can't seem to delete Waverider from the Audio MIDI Setup. I was having some weird issues with performance when I had that on this computer, even if it wasn't being used. I deleted it and everything has been running smoothly, except for this current issue. Is there a way that a MIDI feedback loop could be happening without a MIDI controller?

Thank you for your help.

-Ryan

filosofem 05-12-2009 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Young (Post 1396606)
Yet, it's really frustrating not being able to work with instrument tracks.

Does a MIDI/AUX track configuration produce the same results?

filosofem

Ryan Young 05-13-2009 12:34 AM

Interesting! Why didn't I think of that?! You know what... it does the same thing UNTIL I hit a note on the MIDI track.

Watch
Note: Same setup but MIDI track is feeding xpand2's channel 1

I've had the session sitting idle for the past 10 minutes now and there hasn't been any "noise" since I hit the note. BRILLIANT idea! Thank you so much. Takes up a little more screen real-estate, but this will definitely work in the meantime (until I get the instrument track thing figured out). Thank you thank you!

Digi, is there any other information that I could provide to help solve the problem? Thank you.

-Ryan