Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   please help - vista compatabillity with mbox 2 mini (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=218889)

black baron 03-30-2008 06:26 PM

please help - vista compatabillity with mbox 2 mini

can anybody please help me
I have just got a new laptop with vista home premium installed and all i need now is some music software to run on it, im very interested in the mbox 2 mini as i wish to record guitar/vocal
and LE 7 i really like the look of, if im advised to stay clear of this are my alternatives
propellerhead and cakewalk ??? im just desperate to get making tracks asap and want to make the right decision, if anyone can help i would greatly appreciate it
many thanks

spkguitar 03-30-2008 06:45 PM

Re: please help - vista compatabillity with mbox 2 mini

If you've never done any computer recording, and/or if you're not technically savvy with the computer, then Pro Tools might not be the right choice for you. There are many things to consider when purchasing Pro Tools, and computer compatibility and requirements are very high on the list. If you already have a computer, and it isn't compatible, your experience with Pro Tools will be an extremely frustrating (and potentially expensive) one.

With that said, no computer recording software is without a bit of a learning curve, and the "plug-and-go" "ASAP" requirement is probably a bit un-realistic.

Reason by Propellerhead is definitely not what you are looking for. Though you can get audio into it, it's not an audio recording program at all. It's a MIDI sequencer and sound module (actually, multiple sound modules).

Cakewalk is known for being able to run on just about anything, so it may be a better choice for you. You will also need an audio interface if you go that route, but you can find several "package deals" at any audio retailer.

Likewise, many audio interfaces come with other audio software already (cubase, mackie tracktion, etc).

The decision is all really up to you. Keep in mind that by posting in a Pro Tools user's forum, you are probably going to get more support and recommendations to purchase Pro Tools. If you are willing to spend the time researching before your purchase (which sounds like you are in the very early stages of), make sure you have the correct compatible computer and other required parts, spend the time configuring the computer to run Pro Tools correctly, and spend the time to learn what you are doing, then I would definitely recommend Pro Tools and the MBox mini will get you started nicely.

black baron 03-30-2008 07:46 PM

Hi spkguitar,
thanks for your advice, I've used logic audio with a mac in the past, and now my mac's broken i fancied trying a new platform like protools, I know if I had xp on an older laptop Id have a few more options for pro tools version wise, but hopefully pro tools le7 will run on my laptop with vista home premium.
I've posted in a several forums and just want to make an informed decision and not rush things
many thanks

sunburst79 03-30-2008 07:51 PM

Quote:

I've posted in a several forums and just want to make an informed decision and not rush things
many thanks

I seriously wish more folks felt this way!

The more research you do the better your decision will be.

spkguitar 03-30-2008 08:40 PM

Quote:

hopefully pro tools le7 will run on my laptop with vista home premium.

Well, you would definitely need 7.4 (comes with most new PT systems these days), and Pro Tools is not officially supported on Vista Home Premium. Honestly, and seriously, I still recommend XP for Pro Tools at this point. While there are some people that have it running fine for them, there are still (IMHO and experience) lots of issues.
Quote:

That is very wise, and I second the comment about wishing more people would do that.

black baron 04-30-2008 10:45 AM

hi
could you read my last post - problem with iLok driver
any ideas, should I just reinstall pro tools again?
Ive tried running the drivers off the disc still with no luck.
thanks for your time

spkguitar 04-30-2008 11:58 AM

OK first, you posted that in the wrong section. If you are running the Mbox 2 mini, you are using LE. People in the TDM forum also use the ilok, so you may get an answer over there, but only for that issue. You should probably be posting questions in the LE for windows forum.

Next, again, I (personally) would recommend installing XP to run Pro Tools. Most new PC/Laptop makers are offering it as a "downgrade" on new systems.

Last, while the ilok software relies on the drivers from www.paceap.com (so does Pro Tools LE, BTW), the ilok client software needs to be downloaded from www.ilok.com. Follow the instructions in their Quick Start Guide.

black baron 05-01-2008 04:05 AM

last reply

hi shawn
thanks for your time,
I've now posted in the le for windows forum and already tried many times downloading the client software drivers for the ilok from the pace website all without any success hence posting in the forums, When I have I get the following error messages
1706 no valid source could be found for ilok client software and
1603 fatal error could not find a file on the specified path
note - I currently have windows vista and been advised not to try and run xp on my laptop?

DigiTechSupt 05-01-2008 08:07 AM

Re: last reply

Quote:

hi shawn
thanks for your time,
I've now posted in the le for windows forum and already tried many times downloading the client software drivers for the ilok from the pace website all without any success hence posting in the forums, When I have I get the following error messages
1706 no valid source could be found for ilok client software and
1603 fatal error could not find a file on the specified path

Those are the errors you get when attempting to download the drivers from their site?

If so - which browser are you using? Have you tried a different browser?

If this is not the case, please clarify exactly what you're doing when the errors occur - and possibly include steps leading up to the errors.