Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   MacPro 12 Core Westmere, Pro Tools and Magma (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=292557)

xpansionx 01-19-2011 05:10 PM

MacPro 12 Core Westmere, Pro Tools and Magma

Any of guys would like to share your working set up or any issues that you had encountered with this set up (MacPro 12 core Westmere, Pro Tools HD 9 and Magma PE6R4-I).

It would be awesome to have a collective information concerning this configuration / set-up, issues and including possible causes and steps to resolve the issue.

SHIRK 01-19-2011 08:58 PM

Re: MacPro 12 Core Westmere, Pro Tools and Magma

MacPro 12 core Westmere (2.66Ghz), PTH9.0.1, Magma Pe6r4i, HD3 (non accel)

The setup is working great here since mid December.

Two problems I've encountered so far:

1) Importing sessions created on my previous PTs 7.4 HD3 system. Audio channels with Sonnox EQ and Massey DeEsser won't pass audio (TDM or RTAS). Deactivating the plugin allows the channel to pass audio, but upon reactivating the plugin, the problem comes back. The only work around I've found is to create an entirely new track copy the audio over, open new plugins and recreate the settings.

2) SoundToys Decapitator (TDM or RTAS) when I open a previously saved session (originally created in PT9) the output of audio tracks containing this plugin will be really loud. Once I open the problematic Decapitator plugin, I can click on the Punish button twice and the plugin output returns to what I remember it being. I've also noticed some weird things with Echoboy settings recalling differently than what I remember saving them as. I need ot confirm this though.

So so far it's basically plugins that are giving me issues. But for the most part, I'me really happy with the performance.

xpansionx 01-20-2011 03:57 PM

Thanks for sharing that info.
By the way, would you be able to give the rev of the working Pro Tools cards?
You can send picture of the Pro Tools card showing the rev.

Go to this link as a reference guide on where to look for the FAB Rev and Asst Rev
http://magma.nfpondemand.com/MRcgi/M...CTID=2&MR=6117

SHIRK 01-20-2011 07:34 PM

Sure I'd be happy to remove my chassis from the rack, yank the top off, remove ribbon cables, pull the cards out, take, pictures, upload pictures, reassemble it all and then run digitest to make sure everything is in order, reboot then get back to work....yes, work... the reason I actually upgraded this system.

If you'd like to pay me for my studio time, I'll be your lab rat. Funny how you guys try to fly under the radar like you're some curious user/future purchaser...stating how "Awesome it would be to have a collective of info....." Your 'screen name and location should have been dead giveaways.

xpansionx 01-21-2011 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SHIRK (Post 1739820)
Sure I'd be happy to remove my chassis from the rack, yank the top off, remove ribbon cables, pull the cards out, take, pictures, upload pictures, reassemble it all and then run digitest to make sure everything is in order, reboot then get back to work....yes, work... the reason I actually upgraded this system.

If you'd like to pay me for my studio time, I'll be your lab rat. Funny how you guys try to fly under the radar like you're some curious user/future purchaser...stating how "Awesome it would be to have a collective of info....." Your 'screen name and location should have been dead giveaways.

No string attached!! Eh
if you can't do it, that's fine. All you have is to say NO, simple as that.
No need to complicate a simple request, that's all!!!!

Postman 01-21-2011 09:40 AM

Hmm, I just had to look up my card numbers in my records, took like 10 seconds. I don't have to pull anything. Posted in the other thread, though, I didn't realize this one had been started.

xpansionx 01-21-2011 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Postman (Post 1740127)
Hmm, I just had to look up my card numbers in my records, took like 10 seconds. I don't have to pull anything. Posted in the other thread, though, I didn't realize this one had been started.

Thank you so much for sharing the info.
Really appreciate your time and effort for contributing!!!!!!

Postman 01-21-2011 10:01 AM

Here's a thought. If it turns out to somehow actually be related to 12 core machiness, I wonder what happens if you disable one of the processors (leaving you with 6 cores)?

How to do that? IDK, this from an apple discussion group:
Navigate to /Library/Application Support/HWPrefs and launch the CPUPalette program.

(If you don’t find it there, insert your Leopard install disc, click on Optional Installs, select Packages, and double-click on CHUD.pkg; that will install CPUPalette.)

It will display two graphs showing how busy your CPU’s cores are, and let you disable one or more of them. Click on the oblong button in the upper right corner to reveal a settings panel where you can adjust transparency, sample interval and history, and chart format.

Not sure if Snow Leopard works the same way.

SHIRK 01-21-2011 10:11 AM

xpansionx - I apologize if I came off a bit snappy there. Yesterday was a long day. While I did recently purchase a PE6R4-I chassis, that I am very pleased with, I had quite a time with a Magma 4 slot cardbus chassis PT HD v6.4(??) back in 2004-2005. Was strung along forever by tech support, ordering parts every other week trying to find a configuration that worked. Eventually I gave up, dumped the chassis and bought a new G5. So when I saw your response yesterday asking me to send photos, I had a flashback and snapped. Please accept my apologies.

Postman - where did you find your HD card rev numbers. When you say records, do you mean hard copy paper files, or is there a system profiler that will tell me the rev numbers? Thx

Postman 01-21-2011 11:24 AM

Hi SHIRK,
Yeah, sorry, I should have been more clear. Brute force "hard copy" system here. I try to keep reasonably accurate records in a big spreadsheet. I started it years ago for insurance purposes and have since come to rely on it for hardware and software serial numbers, versions, authorization numbers, purchase dates, whatever kind of details that I think might come in handy for routine decisions and tech purposes. The spreadsheet has become a handy timesaver.

Cheers!