Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Eleven Rack (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Main Outs (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=302083)

dmock66 06-01-2011 09:47 PM

Main Outs

Does anyone have intermittent problems with the main outs not working? I found where I can set the Amp Outs - but the Main Ous should always work, right?

singtall 06-02-2011 07:08 AM

Re: Main Outs

as far as i know they should. i may have to go back and read the manual though. i never use the amp outs, so i'm not sure. i thought the main outs (xlr) were supposed to always be on though.

dmock66 06-02-2011 08:56 AM

Thanks for the response Ross.

That was my understanding as well - the Main Outs are always active. I hooked up the XLR to the left Main Out before turning the 11R on. I did this twice - once at church, once at home. Both times, no sound. After scrolling through all the menu options, reading the manual and searching the forums I tried the Main Out again - this time plugging in after the 11R was already on - and voila, it worked. Is there some odd "kill switch" that sliences the Main Out if you plug a cable in before powering the 11R on? That would seem pretty odd to me - but that is the only correlation I've made at this point.

Jefcity 06-02-2011 12:17 PM

The main outs can be muted. Did you check to make sure you don't have the main mute on accidentally?

dmock66 06-02-2011 01:04 PM

I don't believe that was the case as it did work later - although it is also possible in my mad fury I did change that. Where is the mute setting, just so I know?

Stratus 06-02-2011 01:39 PM

I've had this happen twice and have learned to check a few more things when setting up live. First, I had muted the main out in the studio with the 11R Window and forgot about it when I shut down so i had nothing when I set up live. You can unmute from the 11R going to USER OPTIONS -> Volume Knob -> SW 1 to toggle on/off. The other time, I had not plugged in my volume pedal and the volume level must have been set to zero when I shut down (I had Persistent Volume Pedal set). So again, when I set up I had nothing until I figured that one out. Both times, I worked through several cable changes thinking that might be the problem....now I know to check a couple other simple, but not obvious things.

Good luck!

dmock66 06-02-2011 01:44 PM

I just got mine yesterday - used from Ebay. The previous owner may have had the Main Outs muted. I also may/may not have changed that setting over the 45 minutes to an hour that I spent pouring over settings. I'll have to check that to ensure it's set to not mute the Main Outs and test further.

Thank you for the input/suggestions - it's GREATLY appreciated!

dmock66 06-02-2011 09:13 PM

Okay - I hadn't muted the Main Outs. However, I did notice that when I wasn't getting any output from the mains I also wasn't showing any input either. When I activated the tuner it was stuck on "F" regardless of what I did.

I tried moving the sampling rate from 44.1 to 48, which seems to fix it. Is there a problem with leaving it like that (assuming I'm using the 11R as a live modeler only)? I've not tested by not being plugged into the input at powerup - but that may also solve my problem.

Also - my serial number does not end in E.

Benoni 06-02-2011 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmock66 (Post 1801340)
Okay - I hadn't muted the Main Outs. However, I did notice that when I wasn't getting any output from the mains I also wasn't showing any input either. When I activated the tuner it was stuck on "F" regardless of what I did.

I tried moving the sampling rate from 44.1 to 48, which seems to fix it. Is there a problem with leaving it like that (assuming I'm using the 11R as a live modeler only)? I've not tested by not being plugged into the input at powerup - but that may also solve my problem.

Also - my serial number does not end in E.

Sounds like you may have a bad unit. Having to change sample rates is a classic sign. I would contact Avid and get a replacement unit shipped to you.

dmock66 06-02-2011 09:52 PM

What needs to be fixed/replaced? What is the cost of something like that?

I am the second owner (that I'm aware of). I just got it off ebay this week. Do I still have any recourse in this situation - other than to try to return it to the Ebay seller?