Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   pro tools digi 002, or Cubasesx with EMU 1820m (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=131805)

drummerfreak33 03-14-2005 12:08 PM

pro tools digi 002, or Cubasesx with EMU 1820m

Alright I know Im gonna get a good many biased opinions. However I have an mbox, and really want to upgrade so that I can record my drums on seperate tracks and stuff. And just to improve overall quality, and get a more professional sound. Which would be better? Obviously its easier to interchange work through different studios cause most have pro tools. But is the quality of one better than the other? With either of these Ill end up getting an 8 channel pre amp with ADAT, but with these base units, which would be preferrable? Anyones opinion would be appreciated!

Thanks

albee1952 03-14-2005 03:53 PM

Re: pro tools digi 002, or Cubasesx with EMU 1820m

I don't know what the EMU unit is capable of but I can tell you the 002 is a great compact setup. Easy to do 16 inputs at once(12 mic/4 line) by adding an 8 channel preamp via lightpipe(Presonus Digimax(LT), Focusrite Octopre, M-audio Octane etc.). To have all 16 mic inputs would require 4 more mic pre's as inputs 5-8 are line only(of course that's a great place to patch in a couple of Vintechs and some UA610's). If that's not enough, you can add 2 more via SPDIF but you will need to find a way to sync 3 units digitally. Cubase certainly works, but Protools is Protools.

drummerfreak33 03-15-2005 09:32 AM

Since I am at best an amateur at this I have a few questions. First off, what can I use the 4 TRS line channels for with pre amps? can I only use those for like directing piano or guitar? or can I use a preamp to with an actual microphone? I know that probably sounds dumb, but hopefully you will understand what i am saying.

Do most people use the 8 channel ADAT pre amp channels for the drum tracks? I heard that that is the way to go, cause it gives the drums an even sound all the way around, since they are using the same pre amps. is that the case? Ignore my laymans terms and sounding dumb.

The last question I had, was what do you mean by syncing 3 units digitally? I'm not familiar with what that means.

thanks

albee1952 03-15-2005 07:18 PM

No you can't use mics in the TRS inputs as they don't have the correct gain. Most everyone recording drums does so with either an Octopre or a DigimaxLT. Those TRS jacks are good for more outboard mic pres that don't have lightpipe(like Vintech or UA610). They are also fine for patching keyboards and synth modules. I have my Roland TD10 patched to all 8 TRS jacks and record everything else thru a Focusrite ISA428 thru lightpipe. When I first got my 002, I recorded bass direct into TRS#1 and it worked fine. Digital sync is required when you have multiple digital sources patched together. They all need to sync to the same digital clock to avoid clicks and pops. Using something like the Digimax is easy as you patch it in with ADAT's lightpipe protocol and tell the 002 to "sync to ADAT" and it all works perfectly. You do need to make sure your session settings(sample rate/bit depth) match the settings on the Digimax but its generally something you set once and forget about.

drummerfreak33 03-16-2005 04:20 PM

So even with a preamp on channels 5-8, you can still only plug in instrument lines? just wanted to be sure of that.

I started too look at the 8 channel pres with ADAT. I know that the 002 has like sampling up to 96, while some of the pre amps idicated to only have like 44.1 or somthing like that. Does that make a quality difference. or will the one with 48 still be really great?

Also does anyone have some good rock recordings they have done with the 002? Id specifically like to hear some drums, possibly done with the 8 channels of ADAT.