Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Eleven Rack (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Can the Eleven Rack loop work with plug-ins? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=298631)

manatarms 04-06-2011 10:51 AM

Can the Eleven Rack loop work with plug-ins?

I was wondering, while recording with Pro Tools and having the Eleven Rack hooked up, there is an effects loop as part of the Eleven Rack effects. Does that only work with external effects that are connect to the Eleven Rack, or could you have the loop point to a plug-in effect?

Darryl Ramm 04-06-2011 11:50 AM

Re: Can the Eleven Rack loop work with plug-ins?

What are you trying to achieve musically? For live playing of for recording?

The Eleven Rack Effects Loop is really a physical effects loop and you cannot install/run a software plugin into that in a direct way.

If the Eleven Rack is connected to Pro Tools then of course you can insert any plugin you want inside Pro Tools. And while the FX loop in and out are not explicit interfaces exposed to Pro Tools you can still do a lot here with a bit of playing around.

It may also be worth stating the obvious -- the Eleven Rack Effects loop is not integral to the amp models - ie. its not modelling any specific amps's FX loop and the loop is not between the pre-amp/power amp stages. And you can't insert it between the amp and cab blocks. It's just a handy way of getting a physical signal in and out of the eleven rack signal chain that you can configure to be any place in that chain. So from that sense doing a software insert in Pro Tools on the Main L/R out of Eleven Rack is equivalent to the FX loop after the amp/cab block. It is also possible to use reamping and insert effects plugins in the ProTools signal flow before they hit the Eleven Rack. So especially when recording you really can do any combination of things mixing software based and Eleven Rack processing - e.g. you could check out what happens if you put an effect between the Amp and Cab, not somethign you can do with the Eleven Rack alone. (I have no reason to want to do this, just tryign to point out the great flexibility possible).

Darryl

manatarms 04-06-2011 12:30 PM

Thanks for the reply. Here's what I was thinking when I posted that. If I was recording and I wanted to place an effect that the ER doesn't have (lets say a harmonizer) as a Pro Tools plug-in but I still wanted to use the ER's reverb or delay I was wondering if it would be possible to have the effects loop basically punch in an effect at the point where the effects loop is placed in the chain.

I hope that makes sense.

Otherwise, I could see putting a plug-in after the ER and then adding the reverb or delay from Pro Tools.

Maybe I'm out in left field and am thinking of this the wrong way, but that was what I was thinking.

Thanks again!

Darryl Ramm 04-06-2011 12:51 PM

Easiest thing is to try your effect after Eleven Rack in Pro Tools and see how it sounds.

As I mentioned you can do a lot with a reamping approach. As one example - open a Pro Tools session using the reamp template and add a plug-in insert on the DI track (the one recording guitar in and sending it to reamp). Record enable both the DI and Reamp tracks and play the guitar - you should hear the effect coming though at the head of the Eleven Rack signal chain.

Darryl