Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 10 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Why is the limiter not limiting? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=320333)

World Spirit 03-29-2012 09:24 PM

Why is the limiter not limiting?

I'm simply trying to prevent any spikes in volume to prevent both unwanted volume levels and unwanted feedback/distortion. The limiter used in PT as an insert doesn't seem to do anything at all. I thought that it would act as a volume attenuator so I could just select a db level that I don't want to exceed (and thus compress with this insert). Help!

daeron80 03-30-2012 09:34 AM

Re: Why is the limiter not limiting?

Feedback? So this is in a live-sound situation?

travgei 03-30-2012 10:29 AM

Are you talking about the Maxim limiter in pro tools. I have had it clip before, if there is any clipping in the channels that are going to the master.

World Spirit 03-30-2012 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daeron80 (Post 1917307)
Feedback? So this is in a live-sound situation?

For recording and live.

The main thing: Preventing clipping & digital feedback during louder portions of a track by attenuating or limiting the increase in db.

Quote:

Originally Posted by travgei (Post 1917320)
Are you talking about the Maxim limiter in pro tools. I have had it clip before, if there is any clipping in the channels that are going to the master.

I'm actually trying both the Compressor/LimiterDyn3 and the Maxim insert.

There is clipping on all of my tracks, including the Master.

Dism 03-30-2012 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by World Spirit (Post 1917400)
I'm actually trying both the Compressor/LimiterDyn3 and the Maxim insert.

There is clipping on all of my tracks, including the Master.

Neither of those plugs are very effective at limiting, to be honest. Of course, neither are brick wall limiters.

However, I would start by bringing down the gain so peaks hit yellow at highest, and then use plugins and faders to bring up the levels. Then you can tweak until you're satisfied with the volume, and compress far less than you have to.

If you're already clipping on the way in, there's not much a plugin is going to do to help.

CME 03-30-2012 07:16 PM

What is your chain? If you're to use pro tools live you'll need a pretty powerful computer so you can reduce latency as much as possible.

Unless you have low latency monitoring enabled, but that bypasses any inserts and would be why your plugs aren't working. LLM bypasses any plugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

World Spirit 03-30-2012 09:26 PM

LLM is not selected. I'm not sure what is meant by the question on the chain. Are you asking for the entire physical gear arrangement?

Greg Malcangi 03-31-2012 03:02 AM

Sounds like you are recording too hot, mixing too hot and/or have the threshold too high on the limiters.

G

CME 03-31-2012 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by World Spirit (Post 1917438)
LLM is not selected. I'm not sure what is meant by the question on the chain. Are you asking for the entire physical gear arrangement?

Yeah how is pt integrated into the system? Maybe patching in somewhere else can help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

World Spirit 03-31-2012 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CME (Post 1917502)
Yeah how is pt integrated into the system?

Two interfaces (11Rack and Saffire 40) used as a PT Aggregate I/O. That's all the gear I have connected. I use an iMac with the latest OS version and updates. The latest PT version too.