Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Virtual Instruments (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   I want to buy a MIDI keyboard controller (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=416876)

JCBigler 09-03-2021 06:29 PM

I want to buy a MIDI keyboard controller

I'm interested in buying a MIDI keyboard controller. I don't want to spend a lot and don't need a full synth or sequencer workstation etc... It's only use will be for virtual instruments.

I'd like a 61 key unit, with some sort of drum pads on it for extra versatility.

Been looking at the offerings from Novation, Alesis, M-Audio, Korg, Akai, etc... I'd like to spend no more than about $350, $400 at the upper end. Are there any real differences in quality or usability at this level?

Musically, I'm most interested in organ type sounds, like B3 stuff, 61 key would be fine at this point. But I could consider an 88-key if there's something that's really good for traditional piano playing.

I'm also considering just getting an EWI USB, since I'm a saxophone player and it seems like I should have one anyway.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Sardi 09-03-2021 06:57 PM

Re: I want to buy a MIDI keyboard controller

The differences will be in the key bed and quality of the pads, sliders, knobs etc. Some have integration with SW like the NI keyboards.

Best bet is to go to a shop (if you can) and have a play on some of them. I’m not a piano player by any means, but even I can tell the difference between the feel of some key beds. Everyone is different in what they find acceptable.

There’s a lot to choose from and they all will offer similar features. Just comes down to what’s best for you really.

Sorry if that doesn’t help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

musicman691 09-04-2021 04:37 AM

Not going to say what to buy but will mention a couple of companies to NOT buy from: Arturia and M-Audio. The quality & longevity just aren't there. Personal experience on both.

JCBigler 09-06-2021 03:26 PM

So I'm looking at maybe the Novation Impulse 61. Anyone have experience with this unit?

Does anyone know if it's possible to map the faders as the draw bars for organ stops?

JFreak 09-06-2021 03:46 PM

I have Novation Launchkey and it has all you need for about 285 euros.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCBigler (Post 2612828)
Does anyone know if it's possible to map the faders as the draw bars for organ stops?

At least the Novation Launchkey can do it, plus the master volume can be mapped as the 9th draw bar

JCBigler 09-06-2021 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2612832)
I have Novation Launchkey and it has all you need for about 285 euros.

At least the Novation Launchkey can do it, plus the master volume can be mapped as the 9th draw bar

That's good to know. I was looking at the Launchkey series also. But it looked like the Impulse had a better build quality, maybe?

JFreak 09-06-2021 04:09 PM

Impulse is semi-weighed. If it helps you in piano playing, that is worth something. But nothing wrong with Launchkey which has normal synth keys.

EGS 09-07-2021 07:20 AM

I need an upgrade. Suggestions for 88 key weighted hammer controller? Convincing feel for acoustic pianists? For my purposes, I don't need any on-board sounds (but if it comes with sounds that's ok too I suppose). Perhaps Kurzweil KM88 or M-Audio Hammer 88 or other? Thanks for recommendations!

musicman691 09-07-2021 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EGS (Post 2612886)
I need an upgrade. Suggestions for 88 key weighted hammer controller? Convincing feel for acoustic pianists? For my purposes, I don't need any on-board sounds (but if it comes with sounds that's ok too I suppose). Perhaps Kurzweil KM88 or M-Audio Hammer 88 or other? Thanks for recommendations!

Any Kurzweil is good. Another to look at are the 88 key 'boards from NI as they use Fatar keybeds. Stay away from the M-Audio keyboards as they don't last nor do the ones from Arturia.

EGS 09-07-2021 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman691 (Post 2612898)
Any Kurzweil is good. Another to look at are the 88 key 'boards from NI as they use Fatar keybeds. Stay away from the M-Audio keyboards as they don't last nor do the ones from Arturia.

How about Studiologic SL88 Studio?